Theta, Lexicon or Meridian processor?

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« on: 5 Jul 2005, 03:34 am »
I'm fairly new to the HOme theater gig.  I am planning on purchasing Klipsch RF7's a RSW 15 Sub and the matching center for starters.  I currantly have a pair of K-horns that I will be selling.  The RF7's will be powered by the Dodd Audio 120 watt monos and I thinking of trying my TEac 700 for the center and surrounds for starters. Two channel audio is the most important thing to me.  What do you guys feel is the best processor?  I have been looking at the above.  Which would include  Meridian 861, Lexicon MC-12 or the Theta Digital CASABLANCA.  I need to have an onboard DAC and would like room correction.  Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.  All the best, Guy

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2005, 03:43 am »
It seems to me that you should look at Meridian's G68.  It does pretty sophisticated room correction, plus just about everything else.  And it's quite a bit cheaper than the 800 series.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2005, 04:33 am »
Yeah, a Meridian G68-j would give you room correction, etc for $6500 retail, a bargain that includes Meridian quality.  It would take almost $12k to do that with a Lexicon MC-12B V4.  I am looking seriously at the G68 as well as an Anthem D1 (no room correction, though).

Ted

ekovalsky

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2005, 04:52 am »
I'd also suggest the Meridian G68.  I have the G98 transport and have been very impressed with its quality and operation.  The Meridian room correction is simpler than the TacT or DEQX and operates only below 300hz which is where most of the action is anyway.  It also is one of the few processors that has a high-res digital input.  Of course this only works with Meridian transports, like the G98.  The Meridian system remote is great too.

A G68 is in my future once I expand my room and get a projector, screen, and extra loudspeaker and amplification channels.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2005, 05:09 am »
A G68 will be in my future, if I can afford one.

Kishore

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2005, 05:26 am »
1. Meridian 861
2. meridian G68+G98DH
3. Meridian G68

In order of $$ and quality of sound. I am debating on G98 since I have 861.

Cheers,
Kishore

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2005, 06:03 am »
How do you like the 861 for Redbook music?

Kishore

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2005, 08:10 am »
Good but not the bestest  8) . In my limited comparison I felt placette active was equal and slightly better;however this was comparing with 861v3 and not v4 (which has room correction). The 861v3 was much better than Theta CB2.

If you have the Meridian once you listen to Trifield after proper set-up you will not be tempted by 2 Ch. Of course, others have not had similar experience like mine and they are right too ;)

Save the $$ for G68 and keep an eye on ebay/'gon- well worth it imho!

Cheers,
Kishore

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2005, 08:25 am »
Yes, faux-multichannel is blasphemy to many, but I enjoy it if it's well done.  I'd better start saving my pennies now! :lol:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2005, 11:20 am »
If CD audio is important to you (or LPs for that matter), cross the Lex off the list - not in the same league for music as the Meridien and the Theta IMO.

Of those 2, they're just different.  The Theta gives you the best bass management around - period.  The Meridian gives you room correction (personally this is a non-issue with me as I strongly believe treating the room and using a parametric EQ on the bottom is absolutely necessary anyway).

My preference is the Theta.  IMO, it sounds more like a good 2 channel pre-amp.  Now, I'm biased because I run a Theta processor.  I do so because when I bought it, there was only 1 thing that came close in music reproduction - EAD - and their user interface was - well less than desirable...

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2005, 12:32 pm »
As always.....Thanks Guys!  I think we have it down to the Meridian or the theta.  NOw to research prices and options :mrgreen:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2005, 01:09 pm »
Quote from: ekovalsky
I'd also suggest the Meridian G68.  I have the G98 transport and have been very impressed with its quality and operation.  The Meridian room correction is simpler than the TacT or DEQX and operates only below 300hz which is where most of the action is anyway.  It also is one of the few processors that has a high-res digital input.  Of course this only works with Meridian transports, like the G98.  

With this board you can have hi-rez digital input into the Meridian Smartlink.  It is already pre-configured for such decks as the Denon 3910, the Pio 59AVi, etc.  I know of a couple folks who use it with their 861 and say it's incredible.

https://www.dvdupgrades.ch/150019/Modification/SPDIF/Output/Six_channel_S_P_DIF_output_board.html

So get a G68J, one of the board-capable decks, have this board installed and you are golden, all for less than an 861.
Ted

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2005, 03:26 pm »
Great site!  www.dvdupgrades.com

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2005, 06:03 pm »
Quote from: Levi
Great site!  www.dvdupgrades.com

You mean http://www.dvdupgrades.ch?

Not the easiest to order from (their ordering setup is beyond odd), but I've been very happy with their Pioneer firmware mods.

StevenACNJ

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2005, 06:32 pm »
Here are the pre/pro's which I have had and in the order I have had them:

1. Outlaw 950 (?)
2. B&K Ref 30
3. Theta CB II (superior dacs)
4. EAD TheaterMaster 8000 Pro
5. Lex MC12 Version 3.1

The Lex is a keeper and sounds way better for plain music or HT than any of the above.

In order for the Theta to sound better than the Lex you have to have the extreme dacs which are very expensive.

shokunin

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2005, 06:46 pm »
I have a theta CB2 w/ XtremeDACs in 7.1 and while I think it's a great HT processor.  As a 2ch preamp it's good, but you'll be able to do much better by getting a dedicated 2 ch preamp w/HT bypass.   When i bought the theta I looked at Lexicon and Meridian, and it came down to Meridian and Theta.  The lack of analog passthrough on the Meridian swayed my decision to Theta.  But that "feature" is now muted by my 2 ch preamp.

I run the Theta through my EMM labs preamp as HT passthrough... no complaints, best of both worlds.  

I've heard the latest Meridian setup and it's an excellent system.  My gripe with theta is that they are slow as molasses to release updates.

jgubman

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2005, 11:38 pm »
FWIW, I replaced an Outlaw 950 pre-pro, a Pass Labs X2.5 preamp and a EAD Dac w/ a Meridian G68ADV about 6 months ago and haven't had a regret.

The Meridian is great as a Dac, and I wouldn't want analog bypass on it simply because I can't live without the room correction.

thugh

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2005, 04:52 am »
I agree with shokunin.  If two channel analog bypass is important to you, get the best of both worlds, get a dedicated two channel rig and a dedicated surround processor if you really want analog bybass etc etc etc.  Getting the Meridian and a solid two channel pre amp with bypass would be cheaper than the Theta and Lexicon I think (For full disclosure, I own a MC12 V4).  But like jgubman says, once you have room correction you can't go back!

ekovalsky

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2005, 05:13 am »
I'm not into high end HT yet, but agree that there is no going back once you successfully implement room correction.

If a used black Meridian G68D ever shows up on Audiogon at a fair price I'm going to snag it.   It may be able to replace the RCS in my two channel system and allow me to easily add HT when I'm ready.

Besides the Lex, Meridian, and Theta, the TacT TCS mk2 is worth a look too.       Like the RCS it is probably best used as part of an all TacT system with their digital amps.