Re: Oppo is no more
« Reply #81 on: 11 Apr 2018, 06:27 pm »
Supposedly another (the “last”) production run of 205’s is on for June

You getting a backup?

rbbert

« Reply #82 on: 11 Apr 2018, 06:34 pm »
You getting a backup?

Installed in the home theater last Friday.  No Mod, though (at least not yet; Dan seems to think he can keep doing them for as long as there is demand)

dminches

« Reply #83 on: 11 Apr 2018, 08:58 pm »
Installed in the home theater last Friday.  No Mod, though (at least not yet; Dan seems to think he can keep doing them for as long as there is demand)

So mostly for video and soundtracks as opposed to music?

rbbert

« Reply #84 on: 11 Apr 2018, 09:50 pm »
So mostly for video and soundtracks as opposed to music?

A variety of surround sound SACD's and Bluray concert videos.  I mostly use the Modwright 105 for stereo music in the HT, when it's more convenient to listen there.  I'm a little surprised by how much better the 205 sounds in multi-channel than the 105 does; I don't think there's as much difference through the dedicated stereo outs, although I haven't had a stock 105 here in awhile (I did though when I got my first 205 before I sent that one to Oppo).

dminches

« Reply #85 on: 12 Apr 2018, 01:26 pm »
Do you think there is a significant difference between the 203 and 205 for video and audio soundtracks?  That’s all I use it for.

Phil A

« Reply #86 on: 12 Apr 2018, 01:32 pm »
Do you think there is a significant difference between the 203 and 205 for video and audio soundtracks?  That’s all I use it for.

https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=131&ProdID=UDP-205

I don't use disc playback for audio nor use my Oppo players for anything other than video or as a transport (to external DACs in 3 systems) when other people bring a disc over so it is an easy decision for me.  The above link should help anyone on the fence depending on what they intend to use the player for.

dminches

« Reply #87 on: 12 Apr 2018, 02:20 pm »
Thanks Phil.

The biggest difference for movie watching seems to be the HDMI Audio jitter reduction. Not sure how significant that would be for a soundtrack.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #88 on: 24 Apr 2018, 05:44 pm »
Soooooo....I am a good six to eight months away from having my home theater setup in my yet to be built house in Maine.  I would appreciate some feedback or advice on whether to just wait and purchase something like a Sony X800(or the current equivalent model) or buy an Oppo 203 now.

I only plan on using this player for video.  It will be paired up with a projector on what I hope will be about a 140" screen.  I have read that for 4k material either of the these machines will do very well.  I am also interested in the ability to take DVD or bluRay and upsample it to 4k.

Right now I am inclined to just wait and buy in 6 to 8 months.  Any reason to jump on the Oppo 203 right now? Is Dolby Vision a big deal to have in a player?   I have waited forever to get a dedicated HT room so a $300 price difference is not a big deal IF the Oppo is appreciably better than the Sony or equivalent model for my uses.  Streaming is well taken care of at this point so it is not important for either player to have this feature.

Regards,

Randy

A_shah

« Reply #89 on: 24 Apr 2018, 06:20 pm »
Soooooo....I am a good six to eight months away from having my home theater setup in my yet to be built house in Maine.  I would appreciate some feedback or advice on whether to just wait and purchase something like a Sony X800(or the current equivalent model) or buy an Oppo 203 now.

I only plan on using this player for video.  It will be paired up with a projector on what I hope will be about a 140" screen.  I have read that for 4k material either of the these machines will do very well.  I am also interested in the ability to take DVD or bluRay and upsample it to 4k.

Right now I am inclined to just wait and buy in 6 to 8 months.  Any reason to jump on the Oppo 203 right now? Is Dolby Vision a big deal to have in a player?   I have waited forever to get a dedicated HT room so a $300 price difference is not a big deal IF the Oppo is appreciably better than the Sony or equivalent model for my uses.  Streaming is well taken care of at this point so it is not important for either player to have this feature.

Regards,

Randy

If only for video ! than you are better off with the OPPO 203 and one can update it with a better power supply for an extra 300 you can self install a clone Linear power supply , IMHO  for me I have a Oppo 203 the video mechanism is the same for 203 & 205 the difference is in the audio section , I choose to get the 203 for now and use a high end PS directstream DAC for audio
A-Shah

Norman Tracy

« Reply #90 on: 24 Apr 2018, 06:23 pm »
Hi Randy,

I just used a Sony UBP-X800 as part of a 4k video upgrade to a 15 year old dedicated home theater for one of my clients. It replaced a OPPO BDP-95 pre-4k player. If all you care about is a good 4k UHD video signal out the HDMI the Sony is fine. If pride of ownership based on heavy duty construction, more metal and less plastic get an OPPO now while you can. The UBP-X800 strikes me as intended to mostly stream content and occasionally play a physical disk. If you intend to invest in or already own a collection of DVDs, BDs, and 4k UHDBDs the considerably more substantial transport OPPO uses would tip me in its favor. I expect my client to stream 90% of the time so for them UBP-X800 is fine.

And in case anyone is wondering the projector used in this upgrade is the Sony VPL-VW285ES 4K UHD and it is stunning.

RPM123

« Reply #91 on: 24 Apr 2018, 06:33 pm »

Regards,

Randy

I would go for the Oppo 203...while they are still available. They will no longer be made, so the supply is limited. Even if you end up not using it, you should be able to resell it, perhaps for more than you paid for it. Supply and demand.

rklein

« Reply #92 on: 24 Apr 2018, 06:42 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  :thumb:

I was also leaning towards the Oppo but needed some additional feedback on whether to pull the trigger on a piece of gear that is being fazed out by the manufacturer.

Regards,

Randy

dminches

« Reply #93 on: 24 Apr 2018, 08:24 pm »
There are some other new 4k machines coming out in 2018 including from Panasonic.  I would not buy a unit until you need it.  At some point the firmware in the Oppos will be obsolete and final.  I would wait if I was you.

rklein

« Reply #94 on: 24 Apr 2018, 09:11 pm »
There are some other new 4k machines coming out in 2018 including from Panasonic.  I would not buy a unit until you need it.  At some point the firmware in the Oppos will be obsolete and final.  I would wait if I was you.

thanks for your reply.  Could be good advice...

Regards,

Randy