Oppo is no more

Phil A

Re: Oppo is no more
« Reply #60 on: 7 Apr 2018, 08:18 pm »
I had anticipated replacing my old Sony Blu-ray player with an Oppo later this year. With the recent news, what do you think is my best option:

used 103D, new 203, or ???

Kevin T

What will you use the player for - just Blu-Ray?  UHD and Blu-Ray or Audio (disc playback or streaming over the network?

If it is just for Blu-Ray with no plans to do UHD or audio, I'd go with a 103 or 103D

RPM123

« Reply #61 on: 7 Apr 2018, 08:19 pm »
I had anticipated replacing my old Sony Blu-ray player with an Oppo later this year. With the recent news, what do you think is my best option:

Kevin T

Or a used 105D.  :D

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #62 on: 7 Apr 2018, 08:23 pm »
Bad news. Great products, best support in the business. I've probably owned at least 8 of their players. The 103, 105 etc. are like swiss army knives for video, and are bulletproof too. I guess too many are choosing cheap throw aways.
Why replaced they all have broken?

kgturner

« Reply #63 on: 7 Apr 2018, 08:29 pm »
What will you use the player for - just Blu-Ray?  UHD and Blu-Ray or Audio (disc playback or streaming over the network?

I guess I should've answered this in my original question. Probably use 90% as a Blu-Ray spinner with the occasional SACD/DVD-A playback. My Samsung TV has all the apps I need plus I have a computer connected to the system for any additional internet/app needs.

I don't have a 4K TV or any 4K discs and I don't have any plans on getting a 4K TV any time soon.

Also, the 203 is the TOP of my budget so there's no 105D in my future unless I find a used one for $550. ;)

Kevin T

Phil A

« Reply #64 on: 7 Apr 2018, 10:33 pm »
I guess I should've answered this in my original question. Probably use 90% as a Blu-Ray spinner with the occasional SACD/DVD-A playback. My Samsung TV has all the apps I need plus I have a computer connected to the system for any additional internet/app needs.

I don't have a 4K TV or any 4K discs and I don't have any plans on getting a 4K TV any time soon.

Also, the 203 is the TOP of my budget so there's no 105D in my future unless I find a used one for $550. ;)

Kevin T

There's also this - https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis8h615-oppo-bdp-95-cd-sacd-players

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 7 Apr 2018, 10:52 pm »
http://fredsoundofmusic.com

$1295, no TAX!

They are a great dealer and have 6 units in stock for those interested.

I just live in the area and have been a previous consumer.

Phil A

« Reply #66 on: 7 Apr 2018, 11:03 pm »

$1295, no TAX!

Post 63 (a few above) indicates $550 is max budget

jonbee

« Reply #67 on: 8 Apr 2018, 12:32 am »
Why replaced they all have broken?
No- none have ever broken. I upgraded to Blu-ray and then to newer networked models (have a 93 and 2 103Ds now in my 3 systems) over the years since I went to a NAS for all my content and have given the old ones to kids and grand kids. I'm not sure any have died to this day, and several are well over 10 years old. I don't use the analog sections of any - all audio through external dacs.

jonbee

« Reply #68 on: 8 Apr 2018, 12:38 am »

Kevin T
I have 2 103Ds, and love them, but I put the audio through external DACs. If you don't want to do that the 105s have better analog outputs.
I have a feeling used ones may get harder to find as well. They are keepers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #69 on: 8 Apr 2018, 12:53 am »
As you are experiencied in Oppo I would like to ask you if do you could say the Oppo transport is better than Sony Phillips Pioneer Teac etc in regards to reliability, reject reading CD etc?

Phil A

« Reply #70 on: 8 Apr 2018, 01:02 am »
I have 6 Oppo players (a dv980H, two 103Ds, a 203, a 93 and a modded 83).  Can't ever recall a disc not reading.  I've owned one high end Sony CD/SACD player and had a very limited number (like 3 or 4 discs out of 500) of reading issues (and all related to discs with SACD layers).

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #71 on: 8 Apr 2018, 02:02 am »

$1295, no TAX!

I looked at that link and couldn't make sense of it.   :scratch:

srb

« Reply #72 on: 8 Apr 2018, 04:08 am »
I looked at that link and couldn't make sense of it.   :scratch:

Yes, but you had to be entertained looking at a blast-from-the-past website circa 1991!  ;)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #73 on: 8 Apr 2018, 11:42 pm »
Oppo is seeing how the cost of obtaining a UDP 205 has skyrocketed. As such, if you are interested in a 205, then they will consider a final production run of it.

See here:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

Best,
Anand.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #74 on: 9 Apr 2018, 12:19 am »
I have 6 Oppo players (a dv980H, two 103Ds, a 203, a 93 and a modded 83).  Can't ever recall a disc not reading.  I've owned one high end Sony CD/SACD player and had a very limited number (like 3 or 4 discs out of 500) of reading issues (and all related to discs with SACD layers).
Thanks Phil :thumb:

gregcss

« Reply #75 on: 9 Apr 2018, 12:28 am »
Do you think the 203 is any better ($300 better) than a $250 Sony UBP-X700 (or equivalent) in terms of video/audio quality for regular bluray and UHD/DV blurays (output via HDMI).

dminches

« Reply #76 on: 9 Apr 2018, 12:33 am »
I think the Sony X800 is a better bang for your buck.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #77 on: 9 Apr 2018, 01:56 am »
Yes, but you had to be entertained looking at a blast-from-the-past website circa 1991!  ;)

Oh, yeah, it was GREAT!!! :duh: :lol:

rbbert

« Reply #78 on: 9 Apr 2018, 12:13 pm »
I think the Sony X800 is a better bang for your buck.

At well under half the price!

rbbert

« Reply #79 on: 9 Apr 2018, 10:33 pm »
Looks like Oppo is planning more definitively to make more 205's available; sign up on the website if you want to be notified