Question about Pro Logic

mcgsxr

Question about Pro Logic
« on: 24 Jul 2004, 12:24 pm »
I know, I know, are you done cringing yet?  Yes, I will light my gas lamp, hand wash my dishes, and use a push mower etc...

I got a great deal on an older, analog Dolby Pro Logic pre/pro, and have a question about Pro Logic.  Analog in the sense that it accepts only analog signals.

When I use this B&K unit for 2 channel, it is great (there is a direct mode that switches all the surround circuits out of the path of the signal), and when I use the funny "surround stereo options" they all work as intended.

When I use Pro Logic or Cinema, I do not hear anything from the rears.  I know that this is an old unit, and OLD technology, but here is my Q.

Does this unit need a Pro Logic signal to process Pro Logic - by this I mean, does it not process a regular tv signal into surround?

The unit is in place, so that my wife is more accepting of the rest of the audio gear, and I did go to the trouble of installing ceiling speakers in the rear, I would love some advice!

Mark in Canada

wshuff

Question about Pro Logic
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2004, 01:29 pm »
Pro-Logic does not necessarily need something to be specifically encoded to work, but it does need at least a stereo signal to work.  Most movies, even those on TV, were originally encoded in Dolby Surround of some sort and that encoding will carry over.  The question, though, is whether your cable service is giving you stereo.  Dolby Pro-Logic is 4 channels -- R, L, C, S -- encoded into two channels, so you need both channels to get proper decoding.  Even if the material wasn't specifically encoded for Pro-Logic, decoding any stereo signal will work, you just may get some odd steering on occasion.  But if you feed the decoder a mono signal, you aren't going to get any rear information, and probably won't have anything in the right and left speakers, as everything will collapse to the center.   And remember that in Pro-Logic, the rears are mono and are not full-range, so even when working exactly as intended, you aren't going to get much more than ambiance.

MaxCast

Question about Pro Logic
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2004, 01:53 pm »
That's my experience as well.  Some things just colapse to the center channel only.  the others are split between sounding as intended or dominant center and weak l, r, s.

mcgsxr

Question about Pro Logic
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2004, 02:36 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, I have checked, and with DVD it does perform correctly, and also with some CD's.

I will never use it, other than when my wife is with me, she likes surround, so that is why it has been incorporated into the system.

Perhaps down the road, I will have a look at one of the Outlaw processors, as they come up used, and affordable.

Right now, my extra $$ is spent with Wayne, upgrading my DIO from smART to Mensa...

mark