Moving sale...

jsalk

Moving sale...
« on: 4 Nov 2005, 02:00 am »
Well, after four years of working in my back yard and lower level, it is finally time to move.  I am flat out of room and winter weather is on the way (I find it hard to get motivated when I have to shovel snow to get at my saw).

So I'm biting the bullet and moving to some honest-to-goodness manufacturing space.  Of course, this entails more than just moving.  This week, for example, I ordered a new saw and a great sliding table.  I also ordered dust collection equipment, a second veneer press and a sanding machine.  And I have a crew waiting to build a giant spray booth (room).

So, in about two weeks, I should be moved in and setting up to make some serious saw dust.

As many of you know, building speakers began as a hobby for me.  I did not intend to develop it into a business.  But things just started getting slightly insane around here and it was time to make a decision as to the future of this endeavor.

This is a big comittment for me.  Up until now, I could have pulled the plug at any time and just retired.  But now I will have a facility fo support.  

Under the circumstances, I thought perhaps some sort of Grand Opening/Moving sale/promotion might be in order.  So I'm looking for ideas.  My prices are too low to do much there, but if you have any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

- Jim

corkmeister

Moving sale...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2005, 02:19 am »
Good Luck Jim!!

Marbles

Moving sale...
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2005, 02:36 am »
Best of luck with the new location Jim.

pugs

Moving sale...
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2005, 06:23 am »
A few ideas:

1)  Some sort of special edition features like hand signed or special hardware

2) Discounted upgrades - but that's the same as a lower price

3)  Speakers shipped within a certain time period from time of order - like 1 month

brj

Moving sale...
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2005, 06:29 am »
Congrats on the upgraded facilities and new direction, Jim!  Best of luck to you!

As for promotional ideas...

- toss in some upgraded parts on given orders (crossover, binding post, etc.)
- toss in some favorite reference recordings
- "special edition" models that might use special veneers or finishes
- Salk speaker cables or interconnects? (using your wire or similar)
- Delivery and onsite setup by the owner/proprietor! :)
- Package deals with other vendors that you might have a relationship with?  amps, speaker stands, etc.

randybessinger

Congrats Jim :D
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2005, 04:07 pm »
I know you had talked about it and now that it is a reality, I think it is great.  Don't know what to suggest on the moving sale, but I would love to see you have a hat developed with Salk's logo on it.  I would pay top dollar:)

Marbles

Moving sale...
« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2005, 04:24 pm »
How about a sale on the "AVAILABLE" speakers....?

LadyDog

Moving sale...
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2005, 04:30 pm »
Rob,
Great minds think alike.  I sent Jim a PM with the same suggestion.  Hoping that if he goes through with it I get first bids for the idea.   :roll:  Guess second dibs now.  :lol:

Jim,
Best of luck with the move.  I'm sure a lot of responsibilty, and worries, but your success couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Regards,
Jeff

John151

Moving sale...
« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2005, 04:53 pm »
Jim - If you are expanding your facilities, then you are probably wanting to expand your production to cover the extra overhead.  One solution might be to split your speakers into two lines:   the current "furniture grade" cabinets, and a less expensive version with more typical finishes and construction (same design, same drivers, same XO).  Additionally, you could probably hire staff to produce the less expensive line, while the "furniture grade" speakers would remain a signature product that you build.  You could even name the current line the "Salk Signature Series".

Good luck!

jermmd

Moving sale...
« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2005, 06:19 pm »
How about a "package deal" for people who want to buy a full 5 or 7 speaker set up-retroactive for people who have already bought speakers.

Joe M.

jsalk

Moving sale...
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2005, 06:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.  I will do something, but I haven't had any time to think of exactly what it will be.

I have been extremely busy lately working on getting the manufacturing space ready.

The crew finished building the walls for the spray booth (room actually) on Friday.  Now I need to do some finishing work on it, install the filters and get some 220V power to the 8000CFM tubeaxial exhaust fan.  Hopefully that will be all taken care of this week and it will be ready to go!

I spent a great deal of time this week working to set up the new saw and sliding table, the new dust collection system and more.  Next I have to build workbenches, workstations, veneer storage racks and tables for the new veneer presses.  I have a great deal more work to do, but hope to have it all completed this week (or at least enough to get going).

I can then move my operations into the new space and get back to some serious speaker-building.  I don't mind a day off for Thanksgiving, but I wish it weren't coming just yet.  I need the time to get this project finished.

I'll keep you all posted.

- Jim

chirpie

Moving sale...
« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2005, 06:28 pm »
Quote from: jsalk
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.  I will do something, but I haven't had any time to think of exactly what it will be.

I have been extremely busy lately working on getting the manufacturing space ready.

The crew finished building the walls for the spray booth (room actually) on Friday.  Now I need to do some finishing work on it, install the filters and get some 220V power to the 8000CFM tubeaxial exhaust fan.  Hopefully that will be all taken care of this week and it will be ready to go!

I spe ...

How's the new space coming? I'm sure the wife is happy to see all this stuff being relocated. ^_^

jsalk

Moving sale...
« Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2005, 09:02 pm »
chirpie -

Quote from: chirpie
How's the new space coming? I'm sure the wife is happy to see all this stuff being relocated. ^_^

Actually, we just finished loading the truck about 10 minutes ago and will unload tomorrow morning.  I'm quite happy to finally be moving into the new space and think it will work out great.  I'll let you know how it goes once I'm settled.

- Jim

BobM

Moving sale...
« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2005, 09:27 pm »
I like the idea of split lines. Most manufacturers have a "signature" or "reference" line. These usually include upgraded crossovers, better veneer & finishing, upscale wiring and such.

Then there's the trickle down line, that is certainly less expensive, uses decent but not boutique parts, may be vinyl sided instead of veneered, and may actually use less expensive drivers (but usually sharing the tweeter with the upscale model).

Enjoy,
Bob