HoloAudio May KTE DAC with HQPlayer Review

TJHUB

Re: HoloAudio May KTE DAC with HQPlayer Review
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep 2022, 08:05 pm »
Great thread!  Nice to see HQP discussed here.

I've been using HQP since December last year.  After using many players, nothing touches HQP for sound quality.  Its ability to process an ideal input to most any DAC is one of its best features.  The trick is to understand that certain DAC architectures have certain DAC bits, dithers, and modulators that work best.

I found running HQP on a high-end PC with an NAA was by FAR better than direct.  The increase in clarity is not subtle.  This may not be true in all circumstances, but a nice NAA must be tested IMHO.  I run Jussie's recommended Up Board and couldn't be happier.  Even when my network connection was partially wireless, the NAA was far superior.

For playback control, I am very happy using HQPDcontrol on both my Android tablet and phone.  Very simple and works perfectly. 

WGH

« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep 2022, 09:25 pm »
I agree that if it goes much further, however, it should be broken out into a separate thread so as to avoid detracting from WGH's excellent review.

I think of my review as a starting point that people can add to. The Mac info is important to include in this thread. Fun reading how many different ways Holo DACs and HQPlayer can be used together.

The harder part is finding high quality, high resolution/bit-depth IR files capturing such [cathedral sized] acoustic spaces.

I listened to a lot of DSD while evaluating the Holo DAC but because the recordings don't need HQPlayer to sound good I didn't include them. So far DSD is so good that I haven't noticed any improvement upsampling (yet). I'm currently trying out DSD64 upsampled to DSD128, in a couple of weeks I'll switch back to DSD64 to hear if there is any difference. But if you are looking for excellent performances in a cathedral using state-of-the-art electronics. Here is a list I first posted in my Hapa cable review with the addition of Zuill Bailey:

The 2L DSD downloads are free and available on their website, 17 sample tracks, 7.23 GB. All songs are full length and there is not a clunker in the bunch. 2L picked the best track from each album, each one is recorded using state-of-the-art equipment and techniques and range from DSD256 to DSD64.
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html?

Innocense - Hoff Ensemble – Polarity album

Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue in D minor - Christian Grøvlen - BACH – Inside Polyphony album

Arnesen: MAGNIFICAT 4. Et misericordia - Nidarosdomens jentekor & TrondheimSolistene

The Zuill Bailey Bach Cello Suites Two Volume set is phenomenal. The cello is so well recorded that you could open all your windows and play this DSD at a lifelike volume and your neighbors would believe you are practicing for a concert. There is a point where the bow begins to move, just before the strings vibrate. That point in time is clearly heard as if you are sitting 5 feet from Zuill. Then the sound of a cello completely fills the room, this recording is heaven if you have a sub.

Bach Cello Suites - Zuill Bailey - vinyl, SACD and all formats from 44.1kHz to DSD256, volume 1 & 2 sold separately, I like volume 1 the best but get both.
Recorded, Mixed and Mastered using Five/Four REVEAL SDM DSD Technology.
https://www.psaudio.com/products/bach-cello-suites/
and at Amazon

brj

« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2022, 11:03 pm »
Sorry, WGH, I didn't define my acronym... IR is impulse response.  In the particular context I was describing at the time, it's the acoustic characterization of a venue or space.  So if you have an IR file for, say, Notre Dame Cathedral or Wrigley Field or your garage for that matter, you can convolve that file with your music and the music will sound as if it's playing in that space.

The catch is that you really want any IR file (acoustic space characterization or EQ filter set) to have a high sample rate and bit depth, otherwise, when it's convolved with your music, the high frequencies can sound a bit off.  Thus the reason my IR filter for my driver EQ is 32-bit and 384 kHz.  But trying to find IR files that acoustically characterize a space recorded to that fidelity is much harder (or expensive or locked into specific convolution tools).

I recommend watching the video in my second link of the previous article, as it describes a couple of ways to capture an acoustic space characterization style IR file.  (It's somewhat different that recording high quality music.)  Here is the full address:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLKWy-U6iQY

IR files get used a lot in music production for the same reason, though they describe it as adding reverb, but the process is the same - whether used in an attempt to to make a standard violin (or a synthesized violin) sound like a Stradivarius or making the recording studio sound like a famous concert hall.

Do I convolve acoustic space IR files with my music often?  No.  But it is kind of fun! :)   I convolve my driver EQ IR file continuously, however, just as I would the IR file defining room EQ filters - if I ever decide that my acoustic treatments need just a bit of extra help.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2022, 04:27 am by brj »

NoahH

« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2022, 04:11 pm »
mresseguie - did your Spring come yet? I think you had talked about your SW1X vs the Spring 2 - I am eager to hear your feelings relative to the spring 3.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #24 on: 22 Oct 2022, 04:32 pm »
mresseguie - did your Spring come yet? I think you had talked about your SW1X vs the Spring 2 - I am eager to hear your feelings relative to the spring 3.

Good morning, NoahH.

Sadly, no. It has not arrived yet, but I'm not entirely surprised. Holo DACs have enjoyed considerably more popularity recently, and <potentially> the assembly/manufacturing shop in China could well be suffering Covid lockdowns and/or parts shortages. I emailed Kitsune a couple days ago, but I have not yet heard back about likely delivery dates <correction> I got an email notification a couple hours after I posted this message informing me my DAC ought to arrive this coming Wednesday.  :banana piano: :dance:

Fortunately for me, I will have a barely used SW1X III BAL/SPL DAC in my system by Monday (or Tuesday if Fedex drags its feet). I periodically check Hifishark, Audiogon, and USAudiomart for DACs (and other interesting goodies), and happened upon a new AGON listing for the SW1X DAC at a price that I just couldn't pass up. [Call me giddy with anticipation and excitement!  :popcorn:  :rotflmao: :banana piano: :beer: ] I had been emailing back and forth with Slawa about trading up to just this model when I found the ad. I'll start a separate thread for it once I've had time to compare it to its little brother (sister?).

I may enlist help to compare these puppies. Paging local audiophools....

Michael
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2022, 10:51 pm by mresseguie »

WGH

« Reply #25 on: 23 Oct 2022, 01:09 am »
The  SW1X III BAL/SPL DAC is similar to the Audio Note 5.1 Signature DAC with the exception that the SW1X uses the TDA1541 chip and the AN uses an AD1865. Both DACs are NOS with 24/96 the highest resolution plus both don't use a digital filter stage.

A friend built the AN 5.1 Signature and it is a remarkable sounding DAC, just heard it again a couple weeks ago. I still haven't finagled a way to borrow it to compare to the Holo May. Your comparison will be the next best thing. The Holo DACs do need break-in, fresh out of the box they sound aarrgg.

NoahH

« Reply #26 on: 23 Oct 2022, 12:18 pm »
Michael - that's awesome on both coming excited to hear how it goes.

WGH - I have thought about that kit a lot. Good info on it - thanks.

WGH

« Reply #27 on: 23 Oct 2022, 04:42 pm »
WGH - I have thought about that kit a lot. Good info on it - thanks.

The only problem I have with ANK DACs (which is not a problem for audiophiles who love this DAC) is the inability to process native DSD, a format that is becoming more and more available. This omission means the excellent recordings from 2L, Blue Coast Records, Native DSD, and Sound Liason cannot be played in their native format. Many of these recordings are recorded in DSD256 so what you hear is as close to being at the recording venue as possible. Down sampling to 16bit/44.1 kHz PCM is NOT an improvement, the music still sounds lovely but much of the low level information is gone forever.

But don't take my word for it. I added a thumb drive to the Hapa Haiku/Aero Ag USB tour that is happening right now. The drive has all the free sample DSD recordings from 2L ranging from DSD256 to DSD64, all properly tagged and ready to be copied to a music player. Their "HiRes Download Test Bench" is currently off line as they remodel: [we are] moving the site to a new host, our free Test Bench is currently not available. The thumb drive is the only way to hear all these 17 recordings in their hi-res glory.

If you have a modern DAC, listen to the recordings in the native DSD format then downsample to 16/44.1 and report back in your review of the Hapa cables. I included the recordings so everyone has a point of reference to base their review on, and it's great music.

I have more info on my friends ANK 5.1 Signature, here is his in-progress build photo....

Silver (.999) signal wire 16 gauge, instead of 18 gauge supplied copper
High voltage and high current hookup wire 16 gauge
Six 1/4 watt resistors on Super Regulator board replaced with 1 watt
Basic rubber feet replaced with large aluminium/rubber footers
Small rubber washers for mounting power transformers and chokes
Super-Reg board: United Chemi-con capacitors replaced with audio Elna Silmic of same values, sometimes higher voltage
Analog board: United Chemi-con capacitors replaced with audio Elna Silmic
RCA panel jack replaced with WBT RCA jack for aux S/PDIF connection
Front-mounting rotary switch and gold knob optional addition instead of rear toggle on/off (120v live run will be high grade shielded and grounded)
Replace 5x20mm fusses with audio grade
Copper tape for making a flux band around the smaller choke
V-Caps upgrade from Audionote caps, purchased from ANK (suggestion from Brian at ANK)
Fourteen Non-magnetic Tantalum resistors all replaced on analog board, from ANK (I love these resistors for signal paths)
USB board: WaveIO with latest clock, opposed to supplied Chinese brand of questionable origin?
Added 5 volt power connector for outboard linear power supply instead of using USB cable with computer supplied voltage leg
Rectifier tubes besides the one supplied, 5Z3PJ (new), Jan5931 (NOS), WE274B (Psvane), 5U4G (whatever), etc
Experiment with the two analog tubes ECC82/12AU7 and ECC99 (EH, JJ, Sylvania, Phillips, etc)
Power transformers mounted in slightly different location with 90 degree turns
Aluminum panel with Mu-Metal shielding between digital/analog side and power supply side
Luckit WaveIO inside so the connection is as short as possible eliminating two 75/110 ohm connectors.

mresseguie

« Reply #28 on: 23 Oct 2022, 05:26 pm »
Wayne,

Great explanation!

Once my new SW1X DAC arrives, I'll have four DACs (3 NOS DACs; 1 ES9038 based DAC inside a server/streamer) which are incapable of playing DSD. I chose to buy these because they make PCM music sound blissful to my ears. [Hmm. I have a Nuprime all-in-one that's capable of playing DSD, but my main system does not play nice with it  :nono:,  so it's on my computer desk right now.]  I bought the Spring 3 because I wanted a solid state DSD capable DAC that is <reputed> to sound great with Redbook CD and DSD music. 

I'll eventually sell my SW1X DAC III+ to free up funds for <more?!?> acquisitions in 2023.

Early B.

« Reply #29 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:01 pm »
I'll eventually sell my SW1X DAC III+ to free up funds for <more?!?> acquisitions in 2023.

Are you OK, my friend? I remember when your addiction wasn't this severe.

WGH

« Reply #30 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:05 pm »

We might need to do an intervention 

WGH

« Reply #31 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:07 pm »
I noticed the Holo in NOS mode playing 16/44.1 has a particular sound. I'm thinking all NOS DACs have this particular signature but have no way to verify, even my old AVA Fet Valve Hybrid DAC, which uses the well regarded Wolfson 8742 chip, isn't a true NOS DAC.

I first posted this info in my Upsampling Primer:

Fig.7 shows the May's frequency response in NOS mode (Green) with data sampled at 44.1, 96, and 192kHz. All three responses start rolling off in the top two audio octaves. With 44.1kHz data (green and gray data), the rolloff reaches –1.5dB at the top of the audioband, but the measured level is adulterated with aliased image energy. The actual rolloff is probably closer to –3dB at 20kHz (see fig.16). The response at the higher sample rates is down by 1dB at 19kHz (96kHz data, cyan and magenta traces) and 22kHz (192kHz data, blue and red traces)

Fig.7 HoloAudio May, NOS mode, frequency response at –12dBFS into 100k ohms with data sampled at: 44.1kHz (left channel green, right gray), 96kHz (left cyan, right magenta), and 192kHz (left blue, right red) (0.5dB/vertical div.).

https://www.stereophile.com/content/holoaudio-may-level-3-da-processor-measurements

Audio Note DACs are rarely measured. The frequency response graph for the DAC1 has a similar high frequency roll off.
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/audionote-dac-1/

Now compare the NOS frequency response to the 192 kHz red trace in the Stereophile graph, higher sampling rates have an extended frequency response. Many audiophiles prefer the mellow, soothing NOS sound. Add in the JRiver happy little bass bump and you have the equivalent of comfort food.

mresseguie

« Reply #32 on: 23 Oct 2022, 06:09 pm »
 :peek:

What you talkin' about? I'm simply lettin' go of my inhibitions.  8)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #33 on: 6 Nov 2022, 10:41 am »
This thread will probably scare away anyone still using a CD player. As we get older, so do the CD players and people are always surprised to find out how expensive new audiophile quality CD players can be. A music server is about the same price with much better sound, by leaps and bounds, than an equally priced player. Add a DAC to a server and it's not a fair comparison at all. Yes, a DAC can be used with a player too but sound is still 44.1 kHz (no hi-res) and limited to whatever cheap parts are inside the expensive player. I used a CD player until 10 years ago, even though I upgraded preamps, amps, and cables the sound quality of my system was always limited by how much I could spend on a CD player, which was $400. A music server revealed how much music the CD players left behind on the silver disks.

I just read this on Copper magazine. Very apropos. Look how far we have come: https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/considering-cds-40th-birthday/

Best,
Anand.