Anybody have experience with Schiit amps?

uphoto

• Restricted
Anybody have experience with Schiit amps?
« on: 14 Aug 2021, 04:55 am »
After a failed experiment with a Muzishare X7 I decided to go another direction for my M3TM and do the Schiit Freya+ and one of their amps, but can’t decide which would be the better pairing.

Anyone have experience with the Aegir or Vidar?  The M3TM are fairly efficient but not sure if the Aegir would be enough power in stereo mode.

Not really wanting to go with two of them budget wise. Might take my time and try to find some used maraschinos?

RonP

Re: Anybody have experience with Schiit amps?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2021, 01:38 pm »
I ran a Schiit Vidar in stereo mode for a few years. (NOTE: I do not have Clayton's Speakers). It's a lot of bang for the buck. I've noticed people saying the same things over and over on the web

-The Aegir is a better amp for sound quality
-The Schiit Amps really do well when used as monoblocks (relative to stereo mode)

I can't give you any info on the Schiit amps w/Clayton's speakers.. sorry.

If you could find the amps in the "B" Stock on would that help your budget enough to but 2 of them?

In general, I'd say wait to find an AMP that's been proven to fit the bill. Try and buy gets expensive quickly!

ps. I'd like to hear about the X7 failure. I was thinking of one these china-hifi amps in the office to drive some bookshelf speakers + sub.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2021, 03:35 pm »
Appreciate the info.

The Muzishare was a stunner with the right speakers, not to say it was tough to pair with but for some reason the M3TM didn’t like it. Veiled vocals, not much of a soundstage but great mids and surprisingly good bass.

With my old cornwalls it was a perfect match.

Downtheline

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2021, 03:37 pm »
I'm using the aegirs in monoblock configuration. I used them with the m3 sapphires, and now with the x5s. They are fantastic and have more than enough power for those speakers. I recently tried to use a single amp in stereo mode but that only lasted a couple days. I thought I might try a single ended preamp, but I felt that my sound took a step backwards like that.

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2021, 04:33 pm »
I agree with RonP. The Vidar is a great bang for the buck and won't leave you short on power. Used the Vidar with the first generation M2 Turbo's a couple years back. I think the Freya+/ Vidar combo would be excellent. You'd have the 15 day audition time frame to decide.

franSSS

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2021, 09:10 am »
I ran a Schiit Vidar in stereo mode for a few years. (NOTE: I do not have Clayton's Speakers). It's a lot of bang for the buck. I've noticed people saying the same things over and over on the web

-The Aegir is a better amp for sound quality
-The Schiit Amps really do well when used as monoblocks (relative to stereo mode)

I can't give you any info on the Schiit amps w/Clayton's speakers.. sorry.

If you could find the amps in the "B" Stock on would that help your budget enough to but 2 of them?

In general, I'd say wait to find an AMP that's been proven to fit the bill. Try and buy gets expensive quickly!

ps. I'd like to hear about the X7 failure. I was thinking of one these china-hifi amps in the office to drive some bookshelf speakers + sub.

Nice pointers and a nice way of putting it. :-) thank you

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2021, 04:45 am »
Well I think I’m going to spend a bit more.

So now it’s down to either 2 Aeiger’s run mono or a DAC Maraschino STM and I have no idea which to go with!

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 16 Aug 2021, 03:53 pm »
If they both offer audition periods,( Schiit does) that's really the only way to go. Try both in your system and then decide.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 16 Aug 2021, 04:05 pm »
If they both offer audition periods,( Schiit does) that's really the only way to go. Try both in your system and then decide.

Probably the way I’ll go but it’s difficult with Schiit being 6-8 weeks to get.

gnatster

« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2021, 04:18 pm »
Probably the way I’ll go but it’s difficult with Schiit being 6-8 weeks to get.

Agier amps in either finish, as of this post, are shipping in 1-3 days. 

MttBsh

« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2021, 04:35 pm »
Well I think I’m going to spend a bit more.

So now it’s down to either 2 Aeiger’s run mono or a DAC Maraschino STM and I have no idea which to go with!

I'm a big fan of Schitt's products but I can't imagine any of their amps beating those made by DAC. I have a STM KING version (60V) MKII and the sound is sublime. Demo (i.e. discounted) units are often available, you can't go wrong.

uphoto

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2021, 02:12 am »
I'm a big fan of Schitt's products but I can't imagine any of their amps beating those made by DAC. I have a STM KING version (60V) MKII and the sound is sublime. Demo (i.e. discounted) units are often available, you can't go wrong.

Didn't go with the Schiit amp and spent a bit more and went with the Maraschino King STM MKIII! 

Can't wait to get it and see how it does with my new Freya+ and the M3TM

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2021, 05:16 am »
I don't think you will regret the King MTM amp.  I now have 4 DAC amps in various configurations, all are the King 200wpc versions.  It sounds like the amp disappears and all you hear is music.  Tommy is very helpful.

Ripwny

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2022, 09:53 pm »
I'm using the Rag2 with my M3s right now. Pretty great. I'm about to move on from it, but not because I'm not happy with the sound, just want to experiment and hear some different gear. One thing is for sure, the M3s are going no where.