Amplifier for X5

abomwell

Re: Amplifier for X5
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2021, 09:49 am »
Yes, but I'm really not sure about this. Hopefully my thinking is correct that if the specs say power consumption is 200 watts that means when at idle. Most of that turns to heat. A resting human male gives off roughly 100-120 watts of energy, according to what I read. So it seems to me, and I may be missing the boat on this, that if the 200 watts of (mostly) heat from the amp is roughly the same as adding two more men in the room. And since the X5's are 97dB sensitive moderate listening levels will not change the heat it gives off, relative to idling, by very much.

Al

franSSS

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2021, 10:05 am »
Yep makes sense. I am not keen on the heat factor too. Seems the Z10 I am getting for my Sapphires is also low on emitting heat. So in that regard i am relatively pappy. These speakers are rated 90DB into 4ohms, so not as efficient as the X3 or X5.

abomwell

« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2021, 10:45 am »
So I will have three amps to "play" with, two tubed and one SS. However, my gut tells me (I've been in this hobby for many moons) the audible differences among these fine amplifiers will be small potatoes as compared with the variables of the speaker/room/ listening location combination.

My audio preference is the accurate reproduction of acoustic music performed at an event. And because I listen mostly to large scale classical music, I'm a "you are there vs. they are here" guy.

Al

franSSS

« Reply #23 on: 11 Aug 2021, 04:44 pm »
My audio preference is the accurate reproduction of acoustic music performed at an event. And because I listen mostly to large scale classical music, I'm a "you are there vs. they are here" guy.

Al

Weird Al how sometimes a person listens to music without fully understanding. I have never thought about "you are there vs they are here" as per your comments. Seems to me the 1st time i ever came across this expression today.

I will never forget how i used to listen to an album in the 85's. It was Hot August night" when i played it on my system i was in the audience. It was like i could feel the crowed all around me. It was goosebumps stuff, literally. I was transported and mesmerized at the same time. Wonder if other people ever had such and intense feeling?

So time passed and i never gave it a thought till you made the above statement today. Perhaps this is what i was looking for all long and what i am lacking in my current set up. At least i have come to some understanding as to why i kept thinking back of the system i had back then. I think to a large extent i am trying to recreate that feeling. Sad to say that system was stolen.

Audiophile58

« Reply #24 on: 11 Aug 2021, 08:12 pm »
A lot depends on your budget, many Sas devices like Fet, Mosfets, and bipolar transistors all have some vacuum tube characteristics . My Coda CSIB integrated amplifier has all 3 transistor types and comes in 3 power ratings
For the same  price. I got the lower power one 150,300,600 wpc and 1st 18 watts into pure class A
As well as the preamplifier ,And fully balanced differtially . And no cheap alps volume pot thst robs detail.
A excellent BB electronically controlled ladder volume
And biggest current on demand I have found under $12k , a 3k va potted very low noise transformer .
These engineers all worked together with Nelson Pass until the mid 90s when Nelson wen5 solo
Great company 10 year warranty , 5 year transferrable all made in U.S.A best seperate all in one box I have found under $10-12k , spcheck out Stereo times best of 2020 ,and great review to follow it up .
It has the very good Rel caps forthe preamp outputs , I upgraded to theExcellent VH Audio Odam caps 1uf 400v
Doug the owner did at time of purchase mstched to under .05% for the pair .it sounds  very high end .
Mike at Audio Archon great guy to deal with and decent price, $6500 retail +$165 for the  caps if you choose to.

abomwell

« Reply #25 on: 11 Aug 2021, 09:58 pm »
Great information, Audiophile 58!

I'll check it out.

Al

Audiophile58

« Reply #26 on: 11 Aug 2021, 11:02 pm »
I have owned Ayre ,pass labs ML , . I asked them why not a lot of adverts or reviews
They told me they will not pay the advertise - review game ,they try keep theprice down
And just by biasing less in pure class A you can get much more power in class AB if you
Choose depending on speakers , and this uses 20 matched bipolar transistors per channel on the output section over 120 amps of current available short term
That’s why it has complete control of  your speakers ,for big maggi  get the higher watt output for spatial Audio option 1 is great 18-1st watts in pure class-A before going into class AB
At 97db efficient you may never get out of class A ,and doesnot run that hot
And on standby it always runs about 15 watts ,by keeping a small charge on the circuit and filter capacitors it’s much easier on the circuit and lasts much longer, and warms up much quicker also ,it has over 80,000  in filter capacitance ,to complement the monster 3,000 KVa potted transformer . BTW the vast majority are not potted and sealed  for its more $$
And it isolates stray magnetic fields,. If you read the review ,and go to their website you will see much more .I have over 40 years and dozens of  audio  systems ,The Coda is a true Made in U.S.A bargain and a solid investment.

abomwell

« Reply #27 on: 11 Aug 2021, 11:12 pm »
Thanks! I can't use an integrated amp with my setup. Which Coda model stereo amp is the equivalent?

Al

rfluongo

« Reply #28 on: 12 Aug 2021, 01:20 am »
Coda No. 8 Stereo. There is a version without meters for less $  :D

abomwell

« Reply #29 on: 12 Aug 2021, 12:38 pm »
Is anyone using the Atma-Sphere s30 MK 3.3? This is one of that Clayton mentioned as being excellent.

Al

doggie

« Reply #30 on: 12 Aug 2021, 03:13 pm »
+1 for Linear Tube Audio.

I have tried both the Z10 Integrated and the Ultralinear Integrated with my X5's and they both sounded great.

I eventually settled on the Ultralinear.

abomwell

« Reply #31 on: 12 Aug 2021, 03:52 pm »
Good to know.

Thanks!

Al

Al

franSSS

« Reply #32 on: 12 Aug 2021, 04:15 pm »
+1 for Linear Tube Audio.

I have tried both the Z10 Integrated and the Ultralinear Integrated with my X5's and they both sounded great.

I eventually settled on the Ultralinear.

If i remember well you did a very nice write up on it. A good read indeed! Maybe post your link here for others to follow?

doggie

« Reply #33 on: 12 Aug 2021, 10:18 pm »
If i remember well you did a very nice write up on it. A good read indeed! Maybe post your link here for others to follow?

Did you mean https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177011.0?

abomwell

« Reply #34 on: 12 Aug 2021, 10:46 pm »
When I get my X5's, hopefully, in another 2-3 weeks I plan to burn them in 24/7. Is it safe to use a tubed amp to do that? I could use either the LTA ZOTL 10 or the Carver Crimson 275. I read that tubed amps should not be left unmonitored in case a tube explodes. I haven't owned a tubed amp since my Acoustat Monitors back in the 70's. Alternately, for burn-in purposes, I could use my Crown XLS-1502 which is a class D amp. Any thoughts on this?

Al

Don_S

« Reply #35 on: 12 Aug 2021, 11:04 pm »
Safety aside I always avoid using up tube hours just for burn in. With the 100+ degrees here now I won't even use tubes for listening.  :(

When I get my X5's, hopefully, in another 2-3 weeks I plan to burn them in 24/7. Is it safe to use a tubed amp to do that? I could use either the LTA ZOTL 10 or the Carver Crimson 275. I read that tubed amps should not be left unmonitored in case a tube explodes. I haven't owned a tubed amp since my Acoustat Monitors back in the 70's. Alternately, for burn-in purposes, I could use my Crown XLS-1502 which is a class D amp. Any thoughts on this?

Al

abomwell

« Reply #36 on: 13 Aug 2021, 12:58 am »
Thanks! Wow, I live in Tucson and it is cooler here.

Al

morganc

« Reply #37 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:07 am »

Al

Use the crown, use max wattage and crank them as long and as loud as you can....

geerock

« Reply #38 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:12 am »
Use the crown, use max wattage and crank them as long and as loud as you can....

You're not going to be able to use 10% of the  wattage from the 1502 into a 97 sensitivity speaker.  Not unless you want to put the drivers up in smoke.  You can certainly use it for breakin, but not at "max wattage".

doggie

« Reply #39 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:36 am »

I have been playing big orchestral music, drum music and choral music with my tube amp for 4 to 5 hours a day at room filling but not loud enough to eject a driver though my back wall. My LTA amp runs cool due to its unusual circuit design.

I very seldom leave the house with a tube amp running. Even so I once had a Dynaco Mark3 amp let the smoke out while I was sitting nearby. It was sobering...

I would use the Crown for break in.