Nuprime PRA-9X vs AMG HPA

pstrisik and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 291 times.

Relayer_CR

Nuprime PRA-9X vs AMG HPA
« on: 15 May 2024, 08:20 pm »
I would like to know the difference in sound signature and/or sound characteristics between these two pre/head amps:

Nuprime PRA-9X:   https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/pra-9x/
Nuprime AMG HPA:  https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/amg-hpa/

Clearly AMG HPA has more power output for headphones and is more versatile (it has 6.35mm unbalanced and 4.4mm balanced outputs).  In the back I see same inputs and outputs.  I can't decide on what unit should I get!

I appreciate any information!
« Last Edit: 15 May 2024, 09:29 pm by Relayer_CR »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Nuprime PRA-9X vs AMG HPA
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2024, 11:32 pm »
Will you use them primarily as headphone amps or as preamps to drive an amp and speakers?

Relayer_CR

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2024, 01:45 am »
I think it would be mainly as a preamp:   

I have a dedicated headphone amp (Topping A90 Discrete), I suspect that Topping is better headphone amp than PRA-9X, so if I go for PRA-9X I'd use it as a pre only.

In the other hand, AMG HPA is better than Topping (I assume this!), if I go for AMG HPA then I'd use it for both: preamp (75% of listening) and headphone amp (25% of listening).

For reference, Topping A90 Discrete:
https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/852442.html

Regards!

:D :D :D
« Last Edit: 16 May 2024, 03:18 am by Relayer_CR »

AllanS

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2024, 03:48 am »
I’m also curious how the AMG HPA rates as a preamp.

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2024, 04:52 am »
I guess all three of us are curious about the AMG HPA.  :icon_lol:

I have not heard the AMG HPA nor the PRA-9x. I have, however, heard the DAC-9x. I first heard it at an audio show where it was driving a pair of STA-9X mono amps and $25,000 speakers. I was very impressed. I didn't need another amp <already owned the Evo STA> nor did I need new speakers, so I decided I'd like to try the DAC-9x to use in my bedroom. It sounds great!

Sometimes, I wish I could persuade Jason to send me a few components so I could mix and match them to find my favorite combination. I'd keep the favorites and ship the rest back. In reality, I'm pretty close to being maxed out with audio gear, and I am pretty darned happy with what I already have.

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2024, 08:10 pm »
Sometimes, I wish I could persuade Jason to send me a few components so I could mix and match them to find my favorite combination. I'd keep the favorites and ship the rest back. In reality, I'm pretty close to being maxed out with audio gear, and I am pretty darned happy with what I already have.

Where are you located now? I remember you travel from the USA to Taiwan often. We can work out a trade-in program for you or anyone. But looks like you already have all the latest components.  :thumb:

If you are looking for a preamp, then go with PRA-9X.  AMG HPA is a good preamp but you are paying a lot more for the premium of a headphone amp.

mresseguie

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2024, 11:55 pm »
Where are you located now? I remember you travel from the USA to Taiwan often. We can work out a trade-in program for you or anyone. But looks like you already have all the latest components.  :thumb:

If you are looking for a preamp, then go with PRA-9X.  AMG HPA is a good preamp but you are paying a lot more for the premium of a headphone amp.

Hi, Jason.

As of eight days ago, I am back in Oregon. We’d been in Taiwan for 3 1/2 months, but a combination of my in-laws’ poor health and trips to Japan and Taroko Gorge, I never got round to visiting audio showrooms.

In truth, I don’t need new gear, but I often still wonder how this or that DAC sounds with my Evo STA. It’s such a great sounding amp that I want to drive it with great gear.

Michael

Relayer_CR

« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:39 am »
Hi, Jason.

As of eight days ago, I am back in Oregon. We’d been in Taiwan for 3 1/2 months, but a combination of my in-laws’ poor health and trips to Japan and Taroko Gorge, I never got round to visiting audio showrooms.

In truth, I don’t need new gear, but I often still wonder how this or that DAC sounds with my Evo STA. It’s such a great sounding amp that I want to drive it with great gear.

Michael

Thank you for the information, this helps me for making my decision. 

Finally, what about PRA-9X vs AMG PRA, what are the difference in sound signature and/or sound characteristics between these two pre/head amps?

I don't understand, in AMG PRA, what are the user-selectable 4 stage Active Low Frequency and Harmonic Gain, the 2 stage gain control and invertible phase control.

Regards!

:D

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:44 pm »
AMG PRA is designed to allow for gain matching with speakers and if you have no use for it, just go with PRA-9X.