1941 Rock-Ola needs Single Driver (12")

John Casler

1941 Rock-Ola needs Single Driver (12")
« on: 25 Apr 2008, 11:23 pm »
Hope someone here might point me in the right direction.

I have a HT and Speaker Client in Guatamala who is restoring a Rock-Ola JukeBox circa 1941.

He is looking for a Full Range 12" driver.

Says the amp is tube (of course) and 150w.

Should I be looking at Parts Express or Madisound?

Thanks.

srayle

Re: 1941 Rock-Ola needs Single Driver (12")
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2008, 01:22 am »
Consider this...Alnico Coral 12"...betcha it might spank the MadisoundPartsExpress...

If he gets it, we here on the Circle expect a follow-up report please John!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260223006491&Category=50597&_trksid=p3907.m29

ghpicard

« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2008, 01:57 am »
IMO, this Eminence Beta 12-LTA should fit the bill.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-409

A Rockola amplifier is nothing very special, from a time when 8KHz was good enough, so putting more wouldn't mean better. Later, if he finds the sound lacking in highs, he can always add a tweeter and no-one will notice.
The power handling is OK, and with a 97.7 dB SPL sensitivity, the jukebox will blast away anything that is not bolted to the ground.
The Qts is not ideal for an open enclosure, but for 60 bucks (the shipping to Guatemala will be more than that) he can't err.

Gastón

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2008, 02:35 am »
Why not go with a 12" coax? Rather than going back to a driver thats rolled off in the highs, a coax should be a nice upgrade in sound quality.

PartsExpress has a couple;

The Eminence Beta for $75
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-504

or the B&C for $410
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=294-686

There are a number of other pro sound coax's to pick from out there at varying price points.

Graham Maynard

• Class-A//AB
« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2008, 08:35 am »
Hi John,

I was not aware that Rockola used ?150W? tube amplifiers in their Juke Boxes;  not even in hide-aways, and certainly not in the same cabinet as a vinyl deck with 1941 LS technology. 
Less than 150W in a CD Juke Box has made the lasers skip.

I have many old 12" Rockola drivers hanging from my roof space rafters, some dual cone, some not.  Same sounding replacements for the drivers fitted to pre-50's tube juke boxes might not exist any more due to there no longer being any demand for such types.  Typically the voice coil diameters were no more than 1.5" and the 'Q' quite high. The current Eminence 'American Standards' Alpha/Beta types would be a reasonable match for those fitted to '60s tube types . 

Best find out which type was originally fitted (single or dual cone)because amplifier responses were tailored to match, and not all amplifiers were fitted with independent bass/treble pre-sets.  Ask for front and side view photos of the original loudspeaker.

I could not recommend a twin cone or coaxial where a plain driver had originally been fitted, for this would only make scratchy old records sound annoying, and any modern type with a lower LF response might either cause a booming resonance or sap the life out of 'rock'. (Aspects I have already experienced through purchases being limited to what is immediately available in order to keep equipment running.)

Cheers .......... Graham.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2008, 08:57 am by Graham Maynard »

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2008, 05:42 pm »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I will pass them along to him.

Strangely enough the vendor on E-Bay is within a couple miles of his "freight forwarder" in Miami, where I sen his equipment to be forwarded to Guatamala.

He is the Wilson Tennis Ball importer for Central America.  Great fellow!

I know he will appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks again.

jrebman

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2008, 05:06 pm »
I thought these juke boxes used a PPP amp with 45s?  I thought they were more like 15-20 watts.

Anybody know for sure?

-- Jim

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2008, 06:37 am »
Consider this...Alnico Coral 12"...betcha it might spank the MadisoundPartsExpress...

If he gets it, we here on the Circle expect a follow-up report please John!

These could do very well... i've had similar 8" that were quite decent. These are from a time when National was making some of the more innovative FRs available.

Note that they are not Corals but National/Panasonic -- the 130 OEM code is the give-away.

dave