Introduction

g3rain1

Introduction
« on: 8 Jun 2021, 04:55 pm »
Hello, the forum keeps telling me I need to make one of these posts, so here it is.

I'm quite new to the HiFi game and am still learning a lot. I'd been watching cheapaudioman on Youtube for a few months now and was intrigued by DIY speakers when he did a review of the X-LS Encore. I have since bought and assembled a kit from GR Research which lead me Danny's Youtube channel and these forums. Now I'm tempted to build NX-Oticas even though that's way outside my budget. I hope my wallet survives this journey. :?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2021, 12:17 am »
Welcome!

How do you like your X-LS?  The next logical step is to build a servo sub or two. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2021, 12:18 am »
 Welcome to AC! Glad to have you hear!  :thumb:

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2021, 01:44 am »
Welcome!   I also started this journey with the X-LS in mid 2020 (almost a year ago now), but I have to be honest; they're still sitting in their shipping boxes.   I started studying high-fi when I began building a dedicated theater / listening room, and I stumbled across these forums through Danny's videos as well.   I'm in the process of building a pair of Servo Sub 4 kits to go along with the X-Static and X-Voce speakers I picked up recently second-hand.   I'm also waiting on four of the A/V 1-RS speakers from Danny.   It should be interesting getting everything built and calibrated.   I may be among the first to do a full 7.2.4 Home Theater setup with all of Danny's stuff (all except the ceiling speakers, which are Bowers & Wilkins).   I may even get a wild hair at some point and send one of the ceiling speakers to Danny to create an upgrade kit for those, too.

I'll post more pictures and my personal experiences over the next few months as things come together.   One final piece of the puzzle is a custom amplifier from Klaus (Odyssey Kismet) that may not get here before the end of July at the earliest.

Happy building!    :thumb:

Side note, I was thinking I could use my X-LS speakers as my surrounds, but Danny politely said, "no".   So I scrapped that idea.    I'll build those for another room in the house instead.
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2021, 04:14 am by Vince in TX »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2021, 01:59 am »
I also started with a pair of X-LS Encores some seven odd years ago. That concern for your wallet is well justified. Like Lays potato chips, you can't stop with just one  :thumb:

g3rain1

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2021, 02:24 am »
Welcome!

How do you like your X-LS?  The next logical step is to build a servo sub or two.

Quite a lot! Though I have limited reference to compare too. Previously I was using Jamo S803s and RB42s. Compared to either of those It was like going from a piece of frosted glass to a normal window, if that analogy makes sense.

I was a bit concerned when I first put them up because there was no imaging at all. It was just sound from left speaker and sound from right speaker. I though I had messed up the crossover or something. But I took the recommendation to burn them in and left them running over several nights and that issue soon fixed itself.

The servo subs are intriguing, though I think my next steps will be to just do some upgrades to these. Adding tube connectors, some of GR Research's braided cabling, and changing out the Poly-fil for something denser.