Pretty sure my stylus tip is Falling off

undertowogt1

Pretty sure my stylus tip is Falling off
« on: 27 Sep 2019, 06:30 pm »
I noticed music did not sound as it should a few days ago. I couldn't really tell by eye what was going on with the stylus but it looked smaller to me for some reason. I ordered a USB microscop from Amazon for 30 bucks, pretty impressive actually. If the microscope does not work out for inspecting my stylus etc the kids will still love this microscope.

Anyways, this is what I discovered. To me it looks like my Tip is Falling off maybe?  This is an Audio Technician 440 MLa Moving Magnet Cart. I am not sure how many hours I have on it as I do not keep track, but it is at least 6 to 8 years old I would say.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Pretty sure my stylus tip is Falling off
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2019, 06:59 pm »
Looks like the stylus has shifted or maybe there is a goober stuck to it. If you have a stylus brush try cleaning it to reveal more and maybe take a couple of photos from different angles after cleaning.

The USB microscopes are very handy indeed!

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2019, 07:20 pm »
A more reasonable explanation is some gook has adhered to the stylus.
Unlikely the stylus is going 'migrate'.
So I agree the thing to do is clean it off. And yes that much junk will distort the music.  :thumb:

undertowogt1

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2019, 08:02 pm »
I will investigate more tonight when I have some time. Hopefully you are right and it is just some gunk. More pics and follow , possibly more clear. This microscope is great

bacobits1

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2019, 08:36 pm »
Looks like it needs a good cleaning with one of those dense cleaning brushes, $8
https://www.lpgear.com/product/LPSTYLBRUSH.html

The Stylus is pretty small so easily gummed up. Heat from the playing process makes it worse.
Cleaning I bet will fix it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2019, 09:51 pm »
I keep a small piece of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser by each TT.   Lower stylus onto the foam, raise it, repeat... and you're usually done.  Less chance of doing something stupid around those exposed moving coil styli.  I'ved used those stylus brushes, and don't like how things can go wrong.   :wine:

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2019, 09:57 pm »
I use the ME too between plays. Then it never gets to the heavy cleaning  needed.

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2019, 01:11 am »
Hey!

That USB microscope is pretty impressive for $30. I might get one.

Anyway, from the pic I think your stylus is still there, I see the point there and since you still get some music but distorted so it is still there. Look like you have a build up of gunge around the stylus there and this cause the stylus not to sit well into the groove.

I don't use any of those gel dome or foam thingy to clean my stylus. To me nothing beat a good wet cleaning with stylus brush. I've been using the Record Research #9 stylus cleaner for years. I don't remember when I bought this bottle but it had been a few years now and I still have about a quarter left.

https://www.musicdirect.com/recommended-analog-accessories/mobile-fidelity-lp-9-stylus-cleaner

Now is Mo-Fi branded, but I think it is the same. I clean my stylus every time after I finish my listing session average about 3-4hrs. I don't think it is really necessary to clean it every before you play each record as long as you keep your records clean in the first place. No need to totally wet the brush, just a little bit on the stylus brush goes a long way. But be careful when using stylus brush, only drag it back to front motion and make sure you don't push the brush up to hard, I leave my tonearm unlock and rest on the cueing lever up when I clean my stylus.

Buddy

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2019, 01:29 am »
Some solutions can dissolve the adhesive attaching the stylus to the cantilever.  Buddy likes wet, short brushes. I don't.  Some cantilevers are too exposed and fragile.  I used to have a version of that brush with an ultrasonic agitator built in.  It scared the devil out of me every time I used it on a fragile cantilever- finally gave it away. 
Everyone has a different method.  Find what you're comfortable with.   The key thing is find a way to clean your stylus.   :thumb:

undertowogt1

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2019, 02:07 am »
Did some investigating and experimenting with the scope. Best 30 bucks I have spent in a long time. I cleaned the stylus with my firm brush as I looked with the scope, that didn't take it off. Then I got my Magic Eraser, that took half of the gunk off. Then I got my Moon Gel (used to deaden drums) That took it all off. Sounds great now. This microscope is great for this type of thing. My kids and I where blown away looking at stuff this afternoon. Just dont look in your ears like I did  :o

I got this one. It was at my door in less than 12 hours from Amazon...crazy. Seems like manufactures use the same case for different scopes. some have really bad reviews.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06WD843ZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bacobits1

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2019, 02:22 am »
Looking good now.
Great! Enjoy.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2019, 02:12 pm »
Buy the "sticky hands" toy at Five Below, a couple bucks for a bag of a hundred.  Works as well as those expense gel cleaners.