AXPONA 2019 - TWL Show Coverage!

Triode Pete

AXPONA 2019 - TWL Show Coverage!
« on: 19 Apr 2019, 06:36 pm »
Sorry, I'm a bit late to posting, but the SNOW on Sunday canceled my return flight and I've been playing "catch-up" ever since!!!

Here's a great video from Ron Brenay from New Record Day that gives a nice "shout out" to my cables! Thanks, Ron!

This short video captures Room 688, with Volti Audio, BorderPatrol Audio Electronics and you're truly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyJ1lU0iiEs

Triode Pete

Re: AXPONA 2019 - TWL Show Coverage!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2019, 10:39 pm »
Another video review from Ron Brenay of New Record Day. This time in our room with Vinnie Rossi and Vinnie's fantastic NEW SPEAKERS! Don't know how Vinnie does it?? :bowdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jiMG5gmqyo

I'm also adding some pics of the room taken by Vinnie!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2019, 03:14 pm »
BEST OF SHOW HONORS!!!

The Computer Audiophile, now Audiophile Style Chris Connaker, named our room (Vinnie Rossi & Triode Wire Labs) his Top 3 AXPONA 2019 BEST OF SHOW rooms...

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/audio-shows/axpona-2019-best-of-show-r791/

2. Vinnie Rossi, Triode Wire Labs

"Vinnie Rossi's room was the surprise of the show. Vinnie always has good sound, usually showing with Harbeth speakers and a gregarious demeanor. At AXPONA I ran into several people who implored me to spend some time listening to Vinnie's new Stiletto loudspeakers. I immediately though to myself, HiFi needs another speaker like a hole in the head. I was very skeptical and I told Vinnie that after my extended listening session.

Using the ultra high end equipment rack from Amazon.com ($20) to rest his L2 series components and Triode Wire Labs to connect everything, Vinnie has pulled off something pretty special with his Stiletto speakers. The speakers feature an open baffle 15" woofer design for the bottom end and a sealed cabinet for the mid and top frequency drivers. The two pieces are completely separate in a WATT/Puppy fashion.

Listening to this system was so pleasurable. I requested several songs as show-goers came and went. I felt the need to stay and listen. It was so relaxing and effortless. One of my go-to tracks this year was Don't Take Your one From Me off go John Coltrane's album Standard Coltrane. The sound was almost ethereal as Coltrane's sax oozed from the left channel and Jimmy Cobb's drum kit and Red Garland's piano sprinkled around the right. As one person left the room he said something to the effect of, great song selection. I take zero credit for this man's enjoyment. It was all Coltrane and Rossi.

Vinnie played a Natalie Merchant track for me and I immediately got goosebumps. The richness in her voice came through this system, in a terrible sonic environment, wonderfully. Half-way through the track I had to let Vinnie know this was something special.

I asked Vinnie to put on the track Xanny from Billie Eilish's new album released in March of this year. This track has mix of what I'll call somewhat traditional bass and electronic bass. In most room at the show this track exposed the horrible room modes and bass humps. Through Vinnie's system the bass was big and tight, but without any trade show boom. Vinnie explained that this was a product of the open baffle 15" woofer design of the Stiletto loudspeaker. Based on this experience, and knowing many people around the world have rooms that can easily be overloaded with bass due to small size, I think the Stiletto speakers offer a very compelling value proposition."

Thanks, Chris!

Triode Pete

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2019, 12:14 am »
Some very recent coverage from Marc Phillips from Part Time Audiophile!... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/04/21/borderpatrol-volti-audio-triode-wire-labs-axpona-2019/

BorderPatrol, Volti Audio, Triode Wire Labs | AXPONA 2019

"I believe this is the third time I’ve reported on the combination of BorderPatrol, Volti Audio and Triode Wire Labs in the last few months, so you’d think I’d have a handle on the sound by now. When I entered Room 688 at AXPONA 2019, I thought okay, these guys again, I’m gonna be impressed as usual but will I have anything new to say about this otherwise unique system? Then a funny thing happened on the way to writing a perfunctory albeit positive show report.

Despite the fact that the BorderPatrol, Volti Audio and Triode Wire Labs looked a lot like the rooms I visited at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last October or Capital Audiofest just a few weeks later, there were subtle differences. First of all, the amazing Volti Audio Rival is available in a brand new “Type II” cabinet style, and for the same amount of money as the Type I cabinets. The new style allows for a recessed grill, something that always appeals to my BBC-nurtured speaker design sensibilities. Both versions start at just $9400/pair, amazing when you consider the gigantic sound these loudspeakers produce with ease, and the show pair also included a special walnut veneer, external crossovers, Triode Wire Labs internal wiring and even “reusable crates” and cloth covers. That adds up to a total of $16,200 for this particular pair.

BorderPatrol supplied stupendous 300B sound to the system with the P20 EXS power amplifier, which offers 20 wpc. (That’s a bunch when you consider the 100 dB sensitivity of the Rivals.) This was the top-of-the-line dual mono version with optional volume control and Living Voice 300B tubes, for a total of $31,400. BorderPatrol also included their Control Unit EXD preamp ($9750) and their uniquely captivating DAC ($1350). Triode Wire Labs continues to impress with their line of cables, which sound transparent and open and yet are priced very reasonably–power cords start at $499 each, speaker cables are $1099 per set and the interconnects start at just $399.

So what was different this time with BorderPatrol, Volti Audio and Triode Wire Labs? It might be my ears. The first time I listened to these guys, I was instantly surprised by what I felt was a novel presentation–big, wide, dynamic, immersive and in Technicolor. Over time I’ve started to feel that this isn’t quirky at all, but a new way of thinking about music and sound. I now sit down and listen to this gear and I think about how inviting it all is, how open and welcoming and friendly. You are pulled into the musical event, deep inside of it, and you hear things from a new perspective that is more focused and more passionate.

In other words, the spell has been cast. I can’t wait until the next time.

Thanks, Marc!!!

alan m. kafton

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2019, 04:11 am »
It was good seeing you again, Pete....and thanks for the beverage.  I wish I could have listened longer.  The room sounded great as always....winner, winner, chicken dinner!  :--}

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2019, 08:34 pm »
It was good seeing you again, Pete....and thanks for the beverage.  I wish I could have listened longer.  The room sounded great as always....winner, winner, chicken dinner!  :--}

Thanks, Alan! Great seeing you, too! Both Rooms 488 (with Vinnie) and 688 (with Volti & BP) kicked SONIC ASS! They did have one thing in common (hehe... :thankyou:)

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2019, 08:43 pm »
Just released from The Audio Beatnik... https://theaudiobeatnik.com/axpona-2019-volti-triode-and-borderpatrol/

AXPONA 2019: Volti, Triode and BorderPatrol

Last year, Volti Audio, BorderPatrol, and Triode Wire Labs put together a room for AXPONA 2018 that won the Beatnik Award for the best system under $50,000. This year, they upped their game. The minute I sat down in this room and began to listen, I knew it was the best I had heard from a digital system at this show.

Volti Audio

Volti Audio now offers their wonderful sounding 100dB efficient Rival loudspeakers in two cabinet styles. In their listening room, they were playing Rival speakers in the brand new Type II cabinet style that allows for a recessed grill, which gives them an even more nostalgic look.

Both cabinet versions start at just $9,400 for a pair, but the ones they were showing included a special walnut veneer with an external crossover and Triode Wire Labs internal wiring. This brought the price up to a total of $16,200.

BorderPatrol

BorderPatrol also upped their game from last year by using their top-of-the-line, dual mono P20 EXS power amplifier with optional volume control and Living Voice 300B tubes. The P20 EXS delivers sleek looks and wonderful sound. With it, you get 20 watts per channel of beautiful 300B sound. The total for all this 300B sound is $31,400.

They were also using their Control Unit EXD preamp that sells for $9,750, and the source for the room was an Innuos ZENith Music Server and their BorderPatrol DAC that sells for $1,350.

In one room, I mentioned to another manufacturer that I use this same BorderPatrol DAC, and in a somewhat condescending way he said, “Oh the DAC for vinyl lovers.” Well, he may have meant that as a put-down, but for me, I freely admit to being a vinyl lover, and he’s right, this is the DAC for me.

Triode Wire Labs

The system sounded great with Triode Wire Labs cables, which are reasonably priced with the power cables starting at $499 each, speaker cables are $1,099 per set and the interconnects start at just $399. So, this year’s system for this room comes in at a little over $60,000.

Have Fun!

There was a sign in this room that said, “Have Fun!” Well, this room was fun. It was emotionally involving and drew me deep into the performance. The soundstage was also very big. I only wish there had been time to listen a little longer.

Thank you, Mr. Jack Roberts!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2019, 01:27 am »
Some Coverage of our Room 488 from Part Time Audiophile... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/04/14/axpona-2019-must-see-rooms-sunday-day-three/

Must See Rooms, Day Three | AXPONA 2019

ROOM #488 — Vinnie Rossi, Triode Wire Labs

Absolutely shocking! Vinnie Rossi debuts a new open-baffle speaker that does so well to tell you the truth, each recording carries with it only the studio’s personality. It gets out of the way, imparting nothing of itself, and delivers stunning detail from top to bottom. For a first foray into loudspeakers, Vinnie certainly has come in like a seasoned pro. More to come on these new speakers very soon.

Thanks Eric!

Triode Pete

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2019, 12:46 pm »
A nice black & white photo essay from Dave & Carol Clark from Positive Feedback... https://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/axpona-2019-photo-essay-part-3/

"Volti Audio Rival loudspeakers start at $9400/pr, the show pair is $16,200. Triode Wire Labs: The Obsession NCF power cables $1399 each, American Speaker Cables, $1099 per set, Spirit II interconnects, $399/pr, Spirit 75 interconnects, starting at $299 each. Border Patrol P20 EXS power amplifier, Control Unit EXD preamplifier, DAC SE."

Triode Pete

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2019, 01:06 pm »
Carol Clark with me at AXPONA; photo taken by Dave Clark! I'm glad I didn't break the camera!!!

Some very nice comments from Positive Feedback's Managing Editor team of Dave & Carol Clark!

"Me with Pete Grzybowski of Triode Wire Labs. Amazingly good product for so little money. Our reference AC cords."

Thank you Carol & Dave!!!

Triode Pete

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2019, 08:05 pm »
Not bad, Triode Wire Labs cables in two of the Top 5 Rooms! Geez, I was only in two rooms!  :wink:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/04/24/axpona-2019-highlights/

Thanks, Marc, Brian & Scot!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2019, 08:31 pm »
Part-Time Audiophile Review of our Vinnie Rossi room here... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/04/28/vinnie-rossi-triode-wire-labs-stillpoints-axpona-2019/

Vinnie Rossi, Triode Wire Labs, Stillpoints | AXPONA 2019

"CHICAGO (PTA) — Absolutely shocking! Vinnie Rossi debuts a new Stiletto 15 open-baffle speaker that does so well to find the absolute truth in the music, that each recording we demonstrated with carried along with it the recording engineer’s unique personality. Vinnie’s new Stiletto 15 loudspeaker gets out of the way, imparting nothing of itself in coloration. It delivers stunning levels of detail from top to bottom. For a first foray into loudspeakers, Vinnie certainly has come in like a seasoned professional. Triode Wire Labs and Stillpoints carry the extra level of refinement.

The Story

When it came to speaker design, I know Vinnie Rossi had to take the abilities of his own electronic components into concern. In previous audio show outings with the Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature Preamplifier and L2 Signature Monoblock Amplifiers, Vinnie was gather many best-of-show awards when tethered to big Harbeth loudspeakers.

With a solid sense-memory of Vinnie’s 2018 appearances still fresh in the minds of many, it would take a solid showing from his new Stiletto loudspeaker to trump his recent audio show success.

The new speaker’s crossover is built with Mundorf M-resist SUPREME resistors, premium-grade Jantzen air-core & c-coil inductors and film capacitors (no electrolytics). Point-to-point wired and mounted on an anti-static fiberglass board.

The woofer is crossed in 2nd-order at 280hz, and then carried over to the mid-range from 280hz-up to-2,500hz, and then a 3rd-order crossover for the ring-radiator tweeter from 2,500hz on up. The 15-inch woofer in open-baffle loading was chosen for speed, efficiency, and summed driver coherence. The cabinet material is solid as a rock and thicker than the mountain it came from.

Estimated start of production: June of 2019
Estimated ‘early-adopter’ sold-direct price: $19,995 pr USD

The Sound

While in the room’s center seat, I did experiment with changing seat positions to help replicate near-field and mid-field listening. In both instances, I enjoyed what I heard and felt that bass loading was quite linear even with changing my fore and aft positions. Everything I’ve come to love about open-baffle designs was present in the new Stiletto — and this isn’t even the complete production ready package. More work is scheduled to refine the new speaker both sonically and aesthetically, which bodes well for anyone who was impressed like I was at the show.

The System

Vinnie Rossi

– L2 Signature Preamplifier – $14,995 USD

– L2 DAC (module) – $3,495 USD

– L2 Phonostage (module) – $3,495 USD

– L2 Signature Monoblock Amplifiers – $14,995 pr USD

– Stiletto 15 Open-Baffle Loudspeakers – estimated $19,995 pr USD

Cabling by Triode Wire Labs

Component Footings by Stillpoints

Thanks Eric!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2019, 09:12 pm »
Just received this award from Jack Roberts, The Audio Beatnik!

Thanks, Jack!

Triode Pete

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2019, 04:30 pm »
Part Time Audiophile's Marc Phillips Announced his BEST SOUND at SHOW!!!

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/05/08/marcs-wrap-up-axpona-2019/

This room featured Triode Wire Labs Entire Cable Loom!

Best Sound of Show

"There was a room back in Chicago that spoke to me. It said, “Here is your system, the one that was made specifically for you and your audio tastes. It offers tons of features and flexibility, it looks great, and it has the sound you’ve always loved, a mix between the refinement of British hi-fi and a dynamic range that makes the Himalayas look like another bumpy, pothole-ridden street in downtown Rochester.” In fact, here’s what I said about the speakers in this room: “They sound like a mix between the Harbeth 40.2s, with that open, relaxed demeanor, and the Volti Audio Rivals (also with Triode Wire Labs cable loom!), with that panoramic soundstage and incredible dynamics.”

"The Harbeths might have been a hint: I’m talking about Vinnie Rossi’s room where he was showing his new loudspeakers, the Stilettos ($19,995/pair) with his flagship L2 preamplifier and monoblock amplifiers. Vinnie loves Harbeths as much as I do, but he wanted to develop a speaker that has all the delicacy and realism of the 40s with a pure, deep bass that gives you goosebumps. I sat in Vinnie’s room for a while and I simple couldn’t think of anything else I wanted in a system. The Stilettos were still in prototype form, but I’m not sure what else can be improved. I can’t wait to hear them again."

Thanks, Marc!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2019, 11:52 am »
Lastly, some parting shots from Paul Elliott from Part-Time Audiophile!

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/05/08/pauls-parting-shots-axpona-2019/

Paul’s Parting Shots | AXPONA 2019

"On Saturday afternoon, some of the rooms were so jammed that I could not get in. This is a great thing for the vendors.  Having their products seen and heard by so many people over a weekend is invaluable. You really have to do some planning and pick and choose where to spend your time.

The range of products from all over the world was a treat to see and hear and it’s hard to not think of our industry as healthy. We music lovers have so many choices today to bring the performance into our homes.  I heard musical systems from a $400 Vanatoo and a laptop to the >$1M VAC/Von Schweikert that did just that.  I feel we are very lucky to have these choices.  A lot of these manufacturers are practically one-man shops, hand building amplifiers, and speakers with sweat, and love.

To me, this is the real importance of these shows.  A chance to meet the designer/builder. Like Lou Hinckley of Daedalus, Jim of Salk Sound, Mike of McGary Audio, Vinnie from Vinnie Rossi, Greg Roberts of Volti Audio, Gary Dews of Border Patrol, Pete Grzybowski of Triode Wire Labs (did you know he hand-braids every cable he sells?). These guys and many others love what they are doing and put their heart and soul into their products.  I’m pretty sure the most mega-companies started this same way.

We, music lovers, live in a great time.  Our music system can be time machines that bring great performances of the past into our room, transporting us to a small jazz club in Manhattan in the 1960s or the great Opera halls of Europe.  How lucky we are!  This is what I have been trying to do in my reporting such as it is. and I hardly bring justice to it.

See you next time! Hope you enjoyed my pix."

Always, a pleasure, Paul!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2019, 12:22 pm »
Just saw this from Jay from Audio Bacon!!!... https://audiobacon.net/2019/05/07/axpona-2019-the-awards/2/

Best of the New

Vinnie Rossi Stiletto 15 Loudspeakers

Vinnie Rossi and "Triode Wire Labs are back at it again. The overall synergy with the Vinnie Rossi L2 Preamp and monoblocks was undeniable at previous shows. But let’s address the elephant in the room.

Out of nowhere, Vinnie Rossi debuts his new 3-way, Stiletto 15 loudspeakers. He has been working on the design for over year. Being able to blend the drivers seamlessly is an arduous task. So the majority of the time was spent on the crossover design. The goal was to get the best bass from an open baffle woofer and clarity/imaging from a sealed-box design.

The Stiletto 15 sounds as impressive as it looks. Its footprint and design also allow them to be placed in smaller rooms for near-field listening. Vinnie mentioned he’ll be refining the Stiletto 15 in the upcoming months – so it’ll be interesting to hear what he’ll come up with.

Priced at $20,000 a pair. Check out the deets.

Open Baffle Woofer: One 15-inch, Acoustic Elegance bass driver. Paper composite cone with dual voice coils and high Xmax.
Midrange: One 5.5-inch ScanSpeak Relevator 15M/4531K00. Paper cone with low-loss linear suspension.
Tweeter: One 1″, ScanSpeak Illuminator R3004/662000. Fabric dome, ring radiator type with phase plug.
Crossover:
Mundorf M-resist SUPREME resistors
Premium-grade Jantzen air-core & c-coil inductors and film capacitors (no electrolytics)
Point-to-point wired and mounted on an anti-static fiberglass board
"

I'm so glad to be part of the team!!!

Thanks again, Jay!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2019, 02:37 pm »
Wowski.

charles

Triode Pete

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jun 2019, 01:53 pm »
Just noticed some additional comments from The Audio Beatnik, posted a couple days ago...

A big thanks to the new Audio Beatnik writer Drew Gagliano for his great insights!!!

https://theaudiobeatnik.com/axpona-2019-bringing-hi-fi-dreams-to-reality/

AXPONA 2019: Bringing Hi-Fi Dreams to Reality

Top 3 Reality Rooms

Volti Audio / BorderPatrol Audio Electronics / Triode Wire Labs – #1

"This All-American manufacturer’s room is an example of the flawless performance that’s possible when you absolutely nail the synergy of the components in a system. Volti Audio demonstrated their Rival Type II speakers which featured upgraded internal wiring by Triode Wire Labs ($16,200). They were powered by the BorderPatrol P20 EXS tube amplifier with optional Living Voice 300B tubes ($31,400). Once you factor in the BorderPatrol Control Unit EXD preamp ($9,750) and their DAC ($1,350), it’s admittedly pushing the upper limit of a “reality” room, but I feel it still qualifies as one.

The sound produced by this room’s harmonious pairing was forward, lively and engaging. The presentation was exciting and dynamic with lifelike crescendos that had a live-music quality. Everything sounded crisp and clean without being bright or shrill. If there was a cover hiding all of the components, there would be no way I would be able to guess that it was a digital source being powered by a tube amplifier. There was no digital glare, nor was there any inherent “tube-like” quality to the sound. It simply presented the music in a way that put you right in the front row of the performance.

Gary Dews was in the room celebrating the 30-year anniversary of BorderPatrol alongside Greg Roberts of Volti and Pete Grzybowski of Triode Wire Labs who provided the cabling for the room. Conversing with these three and seeing their laughs and smiles showed me that they got along just as well as the gear in the room did. They were genuinely enthusiastic and appreciative that I stopped by their room for a listen and seemed to sincerely appreciate my feedback on their fantastic-sounding setup."

Thanks, Drew! I appreciate your kind comments and your #1 recommendation!

Cheers,
Pete