Surprising effect of bass trap placement

brucew268

Surprising effect of bass trap placement
« on: 6 Aug 2020, 09:24 pm »
I have bass traps across both corners on the back wall of my loungue/listening room and absorber panels at the first side wall reflection points. Still, when I moved my standmounts into the side wall nodes, the bass increased enough that it was a bit bloated and boomy, interfering also with the lower mids.
  • I had one bass trap left and tried it in the corner of the front wall behind me... only bringing a slight change, not hardly enough.
  • I tried it standing on its side along the wall/floor junction in the corner behind me... slightly better, but still a problem.
  • It definitely was better when I pulled it 5 inches away from the wall, but still a problem.
  • I then decided to try it directly beside one speaker and standing about 5-6" from the wall... amazingly that really tamed the bass and actually gave me good bass definition and texture. I never would have imagined that placement, let alone a single bass trap would have that much effect.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Surprising effect of bass trap placement
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2020, 09:34 pm »
Bruce,

Not surprising given the effects of the reflected wave after bouncing off the wall and being reabsorbed...

Here is the reason why.

https://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#bass%20traps

Best,
Anand.

brucew268

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2020, 09:29 am »
Interesting link, thank you Anand.

Most of what I've read about bass and room treatment focus on boundary junctions: wall corners, ceiling-wall corners, floor-wall corners, occasionally traps suspended below a ceiling. But I'd never read a recommendation to place along a wall beside a speaker. But knowing of standing waves as you said, I had decided to try this placement and was fully rewarded... and that was only on one side of the room. Now I'm curious to pull one of the traps out of the back wall corner and place it on the wall beside the othe speaker to see if the effect is better or worse. (I only have three traps currently.). Alas that test will be delayed a month as my amplifier just went in for repairs.

Bruce,

Not surprising given the effects of the reflected wave after bouncing off the wall and being reabsorbed...

Here is the reason why.

https://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html#bass%20traps

Best,
Anand.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2020, 06:16 pm »
With room acoustics, experimentation with that particular speaker in that room with the associated gear is required. 

For example, I have a bass trap behind the speaker, touching the corner but fanned out about 35 degrees from back wall.  Some of the effects are not just from bass absorption but how reflected higher frequencies are absorbed as well.   :o

0606201526 by drjlo2, on Flickr

jtcf

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2020, 10:50 pm »
It is always good to experiment.Even identically shaped rooms have different acoustics depending on what's behind each surface.Another room,basement,attic,etc.

brucew268

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2020, 11:21 am »
Yes I'm a big fan of experimentation and intuitive, outside the box thinking.

Fred Nork

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2020, 12:57 pm »
Interesting, thanks, will give it a go

tbeeson

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2021, 06:14 pm »
What has helped me is thinking about the placement of speakers and traps as a series of trade-offs. There is not one perfect placement but different placements for different effects. I think it also helps to "live" with small changes for a while fully appreciate the differences especially if they are subtle.