XLS MTM vs XLS + single sealed servo sub

Glenng78

XLS MTM vs XLS + single sealed servo sub
« on: 10 May 2021, 09:41 pm »
Looking for some opinions here on what will be the better setup overall and Or biggest bang for the buck.
Either :

XLS MTM all by their lonesome  $1330

Or

XLS encore with a single sealed servo sub. $1680

Or

XSLS plus servo sub $ 1830

All prices include flat packs for both the sub and speaker.

Pros and cons

This will be a setup for a friend who is by no means an audiophile.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: XLS MTM vs XLS + single sealed servo sub
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2021, 10:35 pm »
The benefits of the X-MTM and X-SLS are that they are floor standing models, so no need for stands. Plus, either can be front or rear ported if near-wall placement is a must.

The X-MTM will offer a little more clarity in the mids and bass than the SLS thanks to each woofer doing half the work, but they are also taller, deeper & heavier than the X-SLS.

Alternatively, there's also the X-Omni, which is about the same price as the XLS (the price on the site is a placeholder, so you'll need to call danny directly) but it definitely requires a minimum of 3ft from the front & side walls.

Ideally, I'd say go with the MTMs and a sub, but realistically, a pair of X-LS or X-SLS with a sub will be an equally fantastic pairing.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2021, 10:46 pm »
I vote X-MTM and the sub.  Because I hate leaving any bit of performance on the table.  If he's going to live with this system for a long time, might as well get the best setup.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2021, 12:56 am »
You might not even need a sub with the X-MTMs.

I’ve been missing my old pair of X-CS speakers which are a sealed monitor version of the MTMs.  (Ok, they make a nice center channel too.  :P)  They dug surprisingly low all things considered.  Kicking myself for selling them.  :duh:

RonP

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2021, 01:33 am »
I vote X-MTM and the sub.  Because I hate leaving any bit of performance on the table.  If he's going to live with this system for a long time, might as well get the best setup.

+1

JWCoffman

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2021, 04:30 am »
You might not even need a sub with the X-MTMs.

I’ve been missing my old pair of X-CS speakers which are a sealed monitor version of the MTMs.  (Ok, they make a nice center channel too.  :P)  They dug surprisingly low all things considered.  Kicking myself for selling them.  :duh:
My MTM's dig well into the 20's in our room, even well away from the walls.  Others have said the same.  I don't think they're terribly happy going that low, so my next step is a couple servo subs, largely because these will be HT for the most part.  For music, however, I don't miss having a sub.

Glenng78

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2021, 04:36 am »
Ok let’s throw a pair of the XCS  into the mix too. Those are sealed , and can be placed close to the wall ? The flat packs are the same price as the xsls, and the parts kit is only a couple hundred more than an xsls kit.
Total cost is $1000ish
This may very well be the best bang for the buck ?

JWCoffman

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2021, 04:41 am »
Looking for some opinions here on what will be the better setup overall and Or biggest bang for the buck.
Either :

XLS MTM all by their lonesome  $1330

Or

XLS encore with a single sealed servo sub. $1680

Or

XSLS plus servo sub $ 1830

All prices include flat packs for both the sub and speaker.

Pros and cons

This will be a setup for a friend who is by no means an audiophile.
I'd want to know your friend's wishes re: size and the size of the space.
Like Hobbs said, the MTM's are large and heavy, they dominate the space even in larger rooms.  Mine are a little taller and heavier than called for (>50" tall with the spikes and 105lbs each), but the normal ones are still beasts.  The X-SLS plus sub might be easier for your friend to place in whatever room he/she has and still provide plenty of punch for the party, but that's a little more expensive.
That said, the MTM's provide a LOT of bang for the buck.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2021, 06:16 am »
Here’s s what I had a long time ago.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2021, 08:26 am »
A pair of X-CS plus a sub is a killer option too, not quite as heavy and don't dig quite as deep cuz they're sealed, which also allows for easy placement, but it should also maintain the clarity in the mids/bass much like the MTM.

Then pair them with a sub for everything below the ~70Hz range.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2021, 05:00 pm »
If needing to place close to a wall, I'd go X-CS sealed and a servo sub.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2021, 08:03 pm »
A pair of X-CS Encores with a sub (they definitely need a sub) is another excellent choice. Here's a pic of a pair shown with a matching center