B&W Nautilis 803 good or bad?

hearherenow

B&W Nautilis 803 good or bad?
« on: 19 Sep 2020, 04:26 pm »
thinking on a used pair
any one with experience and comparisons?
thanks

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: B&W Nautilis 803 good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2020, 11:12 pm »
If the price are cheap. ..

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2020, 11:45 pm »
Forget about price, try and have a listen let your ears be the judge. If you can have a listen in your room with your kit, that is the ultimate test.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2020, 11:47 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC hearherenow   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2020, 01:26 am »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2020, 04:20 am »
Forget about price, try and have a listen let your ears be the judge. If you can have a listen in your room with your kit, that is the ultimate test.
If he want used low price is important, unfortunately few used speakers have 30 days home trial, let your ears be the judge is a old jargon that means nothing in practice.

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2020, 07:49 am »
If he want used low price is important, unfortunately few used speakers have 30 days home trial, let your ears be the judge is a old jargon that means nothing in practice.

Low price is not important, getting the correct kit is more important. Getting something for a low price, if it’s the wrong stuff for you that is a complete waste of money. In fact, I would rather spend more money to get the correct stuff to make sure I don’t waste my money.

Letting your ears be the judge is not meaningless jargon, only you know what you like. So listening is still the only true way to find out, yes it’s not so easy to listen these days.

hearherenow

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2020, 08:59 am »
thanks for the replies and welcomes :D

Digi-G

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:22 pm »
I think the B&W 800 series speakers are great.  I have a pair of the 805's, which are the bookshelf speakers.  I've heard B&W speakers described as "revealing", which I guess is accurate.  I have mine paired with an SVS subwoofer, so I'd describe my system as revealing... and a little warm.  If that makes sense.

Be aware that there have been several versions of the 803 series speakers.  There was the original 803 and an 803D (which uses a diamond material for the tweeter and probably other upgrades).  There is a substantial price difference between these models.  Mine are the original 805 series.

I've heard the 803s (originals) and really liked them.  They have just a big more weight than the 804's and 805's.  They can be very revealing of your upstream components too. 

Like all speakers, I think what you like is very personal.  An audition would be great, but maybe not feasible and honestly, as has been mentioned, an in-house trail would be best.  B&W speakers tend to hold their value, so if you decide they aren't for you, you can probably get your money back.

And price always matters.  Well, to most of us anyway.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2020, 03:39 pm »
thanks for the replies and welcomes :D
Hi,
I even dont like speakers with xovers or low sensitivity as this your goal but the British B&W are very well engineered speakers since the 1980s, the construction are good, in the 1990s they started using BR ports with micro puncture to avoid wind noise in the entry level models, something yet not seen in US speakers.

If you like what this kind of speaker have to offer and the price is low it looks a good purchase IMO, so what this speaker have to offer?
= Monopole boxed sound presentation
= Complex 3 way xover characteristic sound
Good luck

hearherenow

Sarasota Audiophile here!!
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2021, 03:21 pm »
New member here in beautiful Sarasota

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
Re: Sarasota Audiophile here!!
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2021, 03:47 pm »
New member here in beautiful Sarasota
Welcome again. I will merge this topic with the previous one you created in 2020.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2021, 05:24 pm »
Some of the 'B&W' loudspeakers can be a very demanding load for power amplifiers. Only a few amps are up to the task.