HAL Audio Room v2.0

HAL

HAL Audio Room v2.0
« on: 9 Aug 2023, 04:15 pm »
As some folks know Audio Room v1.0 took a ground water hit over the last few years and have finally found and corrected the original problems.  Of course, the insurance agency made sure it would not cover any of the room repair costs! UGH!

Now it is time to rebuild!

First step was replacing some drywall that had to be removed and then paint the room.

Second step was getting the floor and molding and trim replaced.  As of today that is all finished.  A giant echo chamber at this point.

Now to get some area rugs to go with the new flooring to break up room reflections.  Then install new room acoustics treatments.

jpm

Re: HAL Audio Room v2.0
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2023, 08:25 pm »
Looking good! Seeing the "before" pic took me back to water damage I've experienced - it's no fun at all dealing with those problems.

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2023, 08:36 pm »
Love the flooring Rich! Classy. Keep us updated on the progress. I’ll be curious to see what you’re doing for room treatments etc.

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2023, 10:02 pm »
jpm,
Thanks!  It has been no fun as you know.  Took a long time to find the problem, but that should be solved two ways now!

Pez,
Hard vinyl flooring has come a long way!  It is hard strips installed like wood flooring.

I have been contacting SonitusUSA about their room acousitic treatments after hearing a local person that wrote his experience up for AudioXpress with them.  Sounded great to me, so trying to get them, but not sure if they have installers in the local area.  Still working on it. 

Right now it is a giant echo chamber with the hard drywall install.  Two 1.2in pieces grain oriented, glued and screwed to the free standing studs.  Got to love 15in thick STC83 style walls! :)

Just got some area rugs to put in to help quiet it down until the acoustic treatments get installed one way or another.

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2023, 10:54 am »
For the time being, the room is working as an echo chamber for some guitar fun. :D

The mic is a Zoom H3-VR Ambisonic mic for surround sound recording.  You can mix down the 4 channels to a binaural two channel recording for headphones.  Gives a great sense of space in the recording over headphones. 

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2023, 01:07 pm »
Rich - this company is located in Richmond, VA and makes a wide range of treatments - https://www.acousticsfirst.com/    I still have one of their barrel shaped diffusers in a spare room.  When I lived in Northern, VA, I took reading with my RTA and sent them a tape and then talked to one of their engineers for almost an hour.

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2023, 01:15 pm »
Phil,
Thanks!  Will take a look.

Have an acoustician giving me an estimate to measure and 3D model and Auralization for the room.  Will see if I can afford that to get a good start.

I used CARACAD 2.2+ before for room trials for years, but no longer works on Windows 10. 

HAL

« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2023, 12:38 pm »
Well starting with some room acoustic treatments in the audio room to see what works well.

The AQD style panels are just stacked by the front and rear walls with some RPG foam absorption panels on the side walls.  Nothing is installed until getting some room acoustics measurements done with the materials.