RVs hitting the road

melville

RVs hitting the road
« on: 26 Feb 2005, 06:46 pm »
Well, the BC26 is a pretty good match for the RVs (better in some ways than the Carissa), but not great.  I am selling the RVs and getting Dynaudio 1.3SE speakers and maybe a bigger REL sub.  

One of the most enjoyable SS systems that I have heard over the years  (at a store) was a pair of Dynaudio 1.3 Mklls being driven by a Moon W-5.  I don't remember the front-end.  And I had plenty of perspective at the time, having listened to top-of-the-line ML gear with Watt/Puppies (loud, but uninspiring) and a fully active Naim system (PRAT, but not much emotion), among others.

I think that the BC26 is every  bit as good as the W-5, so the combination with the SEs should be very good.  I actually had a pair of 1.3 Mklls once, but sold them because my Pass Aleph 3 did not have enough power to drive them effectively.  I always regretted that decision, because I really liked those speakers.

I have the RVs posted on Audiogon at a very good price.

Vikram

RVs hitting the road
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2005, 07:10 pm »
You're in for a treat. I used to own a pair of 1.3se and used them with a BC28. The combination was very good but a touch to warm. I think the BC26 would have been a better match.
I think the best match for Dyn speakers are, as you know, Sim Audio gear. They have enough full bass to ensure the speakers never sound too clinical. Depending on your room, the BC should do the trick and have even better detail than the Sim Audio amps.
Enjoy!

melville

Dynaudio 1.3SE - incomparable
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2005, 07:12 pm »
You were absolutely right.  In my system, with my new SS amp, the Dynaudio 1.3SE is in every particular better than the RVs.  Even with a SS amp, they produce a warmer, more vivid sound than the RVs with an Art Audio Carissa - quite surprising.  There is also, to my surprise, more detail.  At some point, I will get a good sub (likely REL ST series) to complete the package.

The really great part is that these little beauties only cost me $1600 (used, of course, but in mint condition).