Best driving song ever

PhishPhan

Re: Best driving song ever
« Reply #40 on: 23 Apr 2008, 12:03 pm »
Any Dead (or Cheese) concerts.  8)

Agreed. But, I'll have to throw Phish in that mix as well. 8)

martyo

« Reply #41 on: 23 Apr 2008, 12:10 pm »
Any Dead (or Cheese) concerts.  8)

Agreed. But, I'll have to throw Phish in that mix as well. 8)

I can't do all the driving myself.   :lol:

raov1

« Reply #42 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:15 am »
Driver's Nirvana by Caf Colombie

Awesome  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

SCompRacer

« Reply #43 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:03 am »
Many great tunes posted.  I'll add....

Jump Into The Fire by Harry Nilsson.

You can climb a mountain.
You can swim the sea.
You can jump into the fire.
But you'll never be free ...

hartwerger

« Reply #44 on: 25 Apr 2008, 08:59 pm »
Anything by Creedence Clearwater Revival, but "Born on the Bayou" seems to come to mind first.

Traveling back from California to Baltimore some 20 plus years ago, I got a ride on a 16 wheeler coming out of Reno.  The truck driver had a best of CCR tape that he played constantly.  Must have listened to that tape day and night.  I seem to recall feeling like I was in a movie, traveling at 70 mph and watching the sunrise as "Born on the Bayou" raced through my brain.  It was a magical time and a magical sunrise.  The funny cigarettes that the driver kept passing me didn't hurt either.

srayle

« Reply #45 on: 26 Apr 2008, 06:51 am »
ScompRacer,

You are now my Brother in Nilsson for Life for your most excellent suggestion!!
Everybody's Talkin' At Me! THE LIME IS IN THE COCONUT! SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Audio Brother in Nilsson,

Steven

Ever heard Nilsson's 'The Point'?...not driving music, but some of his best melodies, God Bless 'Im...

o.k., BEST DRIVING SONGS are:

Main Theme from MIDNIGHT EXPRESS, plus several others on same album...feels like drivin' ferkin' 200km/hr on the
Aughftobahn!!

Pat Metheny: First Circle...this song makes you feel like you are FLYING...even more so if you can find
some major Interstate Exchanges where ramps swoop up and down and soar to great heights! Ditto
for driving winding mountain roads with beautiful scenery...makes you high, naturally! Hit replay and keep
soaring, AudioCirclers! Extra Extra Credit (an Audio Circle of Your Very Own) for those who do take flight!!

The Paris Concert, Keith Jarrett,...yes, yes siddown, shuddup and listen to one of the most perfect improvised
piano solos ever ...with a strong sense of driving movement which gradually slows and sweetens into several of the most beautiful, sublime musical passages
that have ever crossed mi Membranae Tympani! I'm sure had there been any arias in this 40 minute piano solo,
the Great Pavorotti Himself would have sunk to his knees with the unbearable sublime beautify of it...

O.K., All, pay right up attention, cause this next piece embodies motion and patterna dnapatterna segueing to the next, creating
the sense on is crossing a great and beautiful expanse at rapid speed, and yet, the clock-like motion of the transveyance
beautifully exculpates the fascinating objects that are passing by at rapid pace and variety.If you have yet to do so my fellow
travellers, open your ears wide and drink in Steve Reich's Music for 18 Musicians (ECM)..Ha! Surprised you, yes, you are delighted,
yet didn't expect quite anything like that, did you?

What? What's this? It seems my little caboose has begun to slow into the soporific rhythm of the late night...where one can rest, lulled by the
quiet rhythm, the subtle noise and breaks in pattern, all conspiring me to put my rather large and round head upon the pillow and fall slowly
and deep[ly and happily to sleep tho the rhythms of the rail as it passes through the terrain; it's sound changed with each time the snow flurries and mounds grow deep or the bridge is crossed over, the sound of water, the sound of wind...and I, a long grown man fall asleep with a faint smile on my
face have forgotten that I have not once again fallen asleep at the side of the Great Mother's Breast.

Lyndon

« Reply #46 on: 26 Apr 2008, 01:16 pm »
Mercury Blues
David Lindley and El Rayo X version

Playing in the Band
Grateful Dead  Skull and Roses double album

Scottdazzle

« Reply #47 on: 27 Apr 2008, 12:45 am »
Mercury Blues by David Lindley and El Rayo X to be sure!

A close second to Crazy Bout An Automobile by Ry Cooder.

srayle

« Reply #48 on: 27 Apr 2008, 04:03 am »
Hey,

How 'bout if peole tell WHY these sounds are so amazing for driving...otherwise it seems like
a list of music I have no idea about. Why is the particular song so good for driving!
If it sounds convincing, I'll get it, otherwise just seems like a list of songs I don't know.

S.

EProvenzano

« Reply #49 on: 27 Apr 2008, 04:10 am »
Hey,

How 'bout if peole tell WHY these sounds are so amazing for driving...otherwise it seems like
a list of music I have no idea about. Why is the particular song so good for driving!
If it sounds convincing, I'll get it, otherwise just seems like a list of songs I don't know.

S.

You might try searching Amazon and listening to the audio clips.  :thumb:
I really enjoyed hearing the songs other people connect with.  Not always my cup of tea but still interesting.

SCompRacer

« Reply #50 on: 27 Apr 2008, 02:49 pm »

You are now my Brother in Nilsson for Life for your most excellent suggestion!!
Everybody's Talkin' At Me! THE LIME IS IN THE COCONUT! SPREAD THE WORD!!!

Audio Brother in Nilsson,

Steven

Hello Brother in Nilsson Steven!  He was definitely an artist that did it his way, and left us too soon.  Jump Into The Fire was well used for a couple of scenes in Goodfellas.

I can't remember if it was mentioned, but Led Zeppelin's Trampled Under Foot is a great driving song to me.

Rich

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #51 on: 27 Apr 2008, 04:29 pm »

"Head Over Heels"  Blue Rodeo

"Miles From Our Home" Cowboy Junkies

"200 More Miles"  Cowboy Junkies

Qualifications to recommend:
In an earlier part of life,25 years of driving an 18 wheeler, I probably have more miles in reverse then half of you :lol:, these songs always got me home safely.

Emil

« Reply #52 on: 27 Apr 2008, 08:37 pm »
Golden Earing-Radar love  8)

My first thought was this.

AC/DC - Highway to Hell works well too. :)

That's my 'driving to work" song

Randy

« Reply #53 on: 27 Apr 2008, 09:53 pm »
I'm not a rock aficionado, but occasionally I notice a great song. How about "Southern Cross," by Crosby, Stills and Nash? It helps if it's midsummer, at least ten o'clock at night, and you're cruising at 75 mph on an interstate somewhere, preferably out west. Of course, the stars have to be out, too. Watch out for the deer!
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2008, 04:17 am by Randy »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #54 on: 28 Apr 2008, 01:23 am »
Golden Earring's Radar Love must be on this list somewhere. :o

jimdgoulding

« Reply #55 on: 28 Apr 2008, 01:32 am »
A couple of Pat Benatar and a couple of Heart tunes can usually get my motor running and I'd perk up, too, if Radar Love ever came on the radio.  Plus Gimme Shelter and Jumpin Jack Flash.

ratso

« Reply #56 on: 28 Apr 2008, 02:32 am »
Iggy pop's the passenger

boead

« Reply #57 on: 28 Apr 2008, 03:40 am »
Breaking The Law and Heading Out To The Highway by Judas Priest  :D

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #58 on: 28 Apr 2008, 12:04 pm »
I've got 2 cd's in my car.

Nightwish, album is "Once"
David Gilmour. album is "On an island"

Dat iz it these day... yeah and radio.

Imperial

navi

« Reply #59 on: 28 Apr 2008, 12:42 pm »
I like:

Days like this- Van morrison (if i'm driving along slowly in the hills)
Take it easy- eagles..... pretty much anything by the eagles is good driving music
Thunder Road & Born to run- Springsteen

Ivan