"worst decisions ever in rock history"

maxwalrath

« Reply #40 on: 25 May 2006, 02:01 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71

5) Prince changes his name to an unpronounceable symbol and watches his sales and relevance completely plummet.

good thread.

Prince putting out his own music and getting a HUGE portion of all album sales.....a good move. The guy is PAID.

PhilNYC

« Reply #41 on: 25 May 2006, 02:10 am »
Quote from: Marbles
John Denver's decision to.....oh yeah, you said "rock", my bad....

For you NYers, go to a bar on the lower east side called 169 Bar, ask for a bartender named Genevieve, and ask her about the bad decision John Denver made with her... :lol:

Vtech2000

« Reply #42 on: 25 May 2006, 02:28 am »
Quote from: maxwalrath

5) Prince changes his name to an unpronounceable symbol and watches his sales and relevance completely plummet.

good thread.

Prince putting out his own music and getting a HUGE portion of all album sales.....a good move. The guy is PAID.

Wouldn't that qualify as a best decision? (not worst) :lol:

PhilNYC

« Reply #43 on: 25 May 2006, 03:09 am »

good thread.

Since we're on the topic of Prince, I gotta say his worst move was performing on the Ellen Degeneres daytime talk show last year.  He was pulling up middle-aged housewives from the audience up on stage and dancing with them.  This is the guy who sang "Little Red Corvette"???? :(

mcrespo71

« Reply #44 on: 25 May 2006, 03:13 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC

good thread.

Since we're on the topic of Prince, I gotta say his worst move was performing on the Ellen Degeneres daytime talk show last year.  He was pulling up middle-aged housewives from the audience up on stage and dancing with them.  This is the guy who sang "Little Red Corvette"???? :(

Hmmm. .. not a good venue for him, though I guess he is now a Jehovah's witness and won't play his dirty songs, which he has many of, live.  Maybe he's trying to portray a squeaky clean image, but middle age isn't the demographic he should be going for.

However, he played American Idol tonight, which was a GREAT decision.  You can't beat the exposure this show gives you as an artist.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #45 on: 25 May 2006, 03:22 am »
Mike :
    However, he played American Idol tonight, which was a GREAT decision. You can't beat the exposure this show gives you as an artist.
    [/list:u]
      ..... :o ...he's already been
    exposed........ :lol: [/list:u]

eric the red

« Reply #46 on: 25 May 2006, 04:58 am »
    Phil Spector dating  Lana Clarkson

Andrikos

« Reply #47 on: 25 May 2006, 05:34 am »
    "Rush's" decision to go ahead and let Geddy Lee sing. Yikes!

I saw them on INHD the other day and they were just jamming for about 10 minutes. It was awesome! They were just ripping and then Geddy Lee decided to sing. I couldn't find the remote fast enough.
    As much as I love Rush's music, I can't bear to listen to his screeching... Sorry...

Papajin

« Reply #48 on: 25 May 2006, 07:54 am »
    Quote from: pm314
    William Shattner's decision to sing...

Make fun all you like, but his last album (Has Been) actually was well received!  Of course you could make a case for him not actually singing on it. :)

drphoto

« Reply #49 on: 25 May 2006, 07:41 pm »
    Me not learning the guitar 25 years ago!  :)

Marbles

« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2006, 08:04 pm »
    No record deal for Chris's band....

kbuzz3

mick taylor leaves??
    « Reply #51 on: 26 May 2006, 03:02 am »

2) Mick Taylor leaves the Rolling Stones to start a solo career.

Im not a stones expert by any means but im pretty sure consenus is that mick 1 and Keif pretty much pushed mick2 out. Particularly when taylor expressed concern about writing credit on a number of songs....forgetting personalities for a minute

Im a bit biased because stones with taylor were at their peak.

Dmason

« Reply #52 on: 26 May 2006, 03:33 am »
    Yes choosing Igor Khoroshev for foreign keyboardist, instead of me.

KBuzz

I walked around a corner in Toronto in 88, and above a smallish bar it said: "Tonight: Mick Taylor"  one of the most amazing guitar evenings ever. Heard plenty, been to plenty, played with plenty. Turned out the guy was TOTALLY underemployed in the Stones.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
    « Reply #53 on: 26 May 2006, 03:52 am »
    Quote from: Marbles
    No record deal for Chris's band....
      Yeah....could of gave KISS a run for their money....but we're still friends. :kiss: [/list:u]

mcrespo71

Re: mick taylor leaves??
    « Reply #54 on: 27 May 2006, 06:07 am »
    Quote from: kbuzz3

2) Mick Taylor leaves the Rolling Stones to start a solo career.

Im not a stones expert by any means but im pretty sure consenus is that mick 1 and Keif pretty much pushed mick2 out. Particularly when taylor expressed concern about writing credit on a number of songs....forgetting personalities for a minute

Im a bit biased because stones with taylor were at their peak.

You are probably right.  I've always heard the Mick Taylor quitting story through Mick Jagger, so I'm sure he was being biased and spinning some PR.  Anyway, if that's the case, then I recant my earlier statement that Mick Taylor "quitting" the rolling stones was stupid.

tfroncek

« Reply #55 on: 13 Jun 2006, 12:26 am »
    If Hell hadn't frozen over I would have said the Eagles breakup.  But since it did...

meilankev

« Reply #56 on: 13 Jun 2006, 12:40 am »
    Josh,

For me, "bad decisions" usually means personnel decisions.  So, my choices are:

1) The Rolling Stones inviting Shuggie Otis to replace Brian Jones as their lead guitarist, and he turned them down.  The young Mr Otis, after his breakout success of "Inspiration Information", was sure he was going to be next big thing.  Big mistake, as he quickly fell into Rock oblivion.

2) When Bob Welch joined Fleetwood Mac, he quickly became the main songwriter, singer, and lead guitarist.  And I really liked the band with him in it - "Mystery to Me" is my very favorite Fleetwood Mac album.  But he soon thought he would be better off going solo.  Well, they replaced him with Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, and the rest is history.  They sold 50 bajillion albums after he left, while he squandered around in relative obscurity.

That's two instances of very poor judgement.

Kevin