Which song(s) did you use to show off your system to others?

Huck

Just curious which song or songs you use(d) when showing off your audio system to non-audiophile,non music enthusiasts,relatives?...I did when I was younger.
Mine was of the album by Pink Floyd "The Wall",song "The Happiest Days OF Our Lives",the part right after "You,yes you,stand still laddy" when the big hard bass line,crash and grab cymbal and bass drum comes in...that shook the spiders out! Now my "show off" track is "No Man's Land" by Pineapple Thief,album titled "Your Wilderness"..try it and listen to the low bass and drums at about 2:22,(Gavin Harrison)is perfect here! It starts off real slow,then BAM!.Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2022, 03:34 pm by Huck »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Which song(s) did you use to show off your system to others?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2022, 09:45 pm »
I avoid demo tô relatives .

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2022, 10:02 pm »
At this point, my system pretty much outclasses anything they might hear on their own, so I just let people play their own music.  They are usually blown away.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2022, 11:10 pm »
... showing off your audio system to non-audiophile,non music enthusiasts,relatives?

If I did, which I don't, it would have to be music they listened to when they used to listened to music, i.e. something they are familiar with. Except for the guys in our local audio group, nobody I know has a stereo anymore. We are dinosaurs heading for extinction. Music's future is on-the-go, not sitting in one place. I have to tell non-music people to sit in the middle, to them it is not the obvious place to sit. I can see them get fidgety after one song.

Relatives? You mean those mouth breathing Cro-Magnons? We had Thanksgiving at my niece and boyfriend's house, they are in their early 30's, no music, no stereo but the TV was on. A pre-Christmas dinner at my brothers was the same: no music, no stereo but the TV was on. The curated music at my Christmas dinner party with a group of friends was at background levels, nobody noticed JRiver with the 100's of album covers or even thought to request an artist.

But what blows everyone away is my home theater setup, which uses the same stereo speakers plus many, many more. Everyone loves movies with Dolby Atmos surround sound and the sub-woofer is a real big hit. I can turn up the volume and nobody complains, amazing. They love it when the sofa vibrates.

Forget about music, home theater is where it's at when you want to show off your system. Crank it up and they'll stay for hours and rave about the sound afterward too.

Huck

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2022, 03:33 pm »
Thanks!

Theronbo

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2022, 05:02 pm »
Hmm, disturbing answers…

1. For most people I don’t demo either… only to someone I know enjoys music or notices my speakers & expresses enthusiasm.

2. When I have a gathering/party… I let people stream whatever…
I have Apple Music that most people seem to be able to navigate
Or invite them to use their own playlist…  the Air Play & similar tools are effective.

During a party at lest a couple people will comment: That’s a really nice stereo!
Usually after hearing music they’re familiar with…

All that said… I do have a couple playlists I call ‘Audiphile’ - both on Apple Music & YouTube  …

Almost prefer the YouTube… since those are videos… most of the playlist are ‘live’ recordings.

I have in order I’d present
- single string , guitar or violin or  cello
- percussive drums or piano
- single voice or acapela  group
- small group, usually jazz ie Diana Krall
- dance pop
- classic rock

I’d choose something aligned with the listeners taste…

Ie. had cousin who plays guitar…  so, Billy Strings
https://youtu.be/1RNNQYpnukA
& Tommy Emmanuel
https://youtu.be/2bx9vTF8x2s

He really enjoyed that… said my set up was best he ever heard…

undertowogt1

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2022, 05:08 pm »
Massive Attack - Teardrop
Tracy Chapman - Mountains of Things
Linkin Park - Waiting for the End
Steven Wilson - To The Bone

to name a few

Huck

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2022, 06:54 pm »
Massive Attack - Teardrop
Tracy Chapman - Mountains of Things
Linkin Park - Waiting for the End
Steven Wilson - To The Bone

to name a few
That's what I am talkng about! I will play these tonight.Thanks,Huck

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2022, 07:19 pm »
I've noticed most relatives/friends use their smart tv for all of their music and everything else. It definitely sounds different from stereo.

If I did, which I don't, it would have to be music they listened to when they used to listened to music, i.e. something they are familiar with. Except for the guys in our local audio group, nobody I know has a stereo anymore. We are dinosaurs heading for extinction. Music's future is on-the-go, not sitting in one place. I have to tell non-music people to sit in the middle, to them it is not the obvious place to sit. I can see them get fidgety after one song.

Relatives? You mean those mouth breathing Cro-Magnons? We had Thanksgiving at my niece and boyfriend's house, they are in their early 30's, no music, no stereo but the TV was on. A pre-Christmas dinner at my brothers was the same: no music, no stereo but the TV was on. The curated music at my Christmas dinner party with a group of friends was at background levels, nobody noticed JRiver with the 100's of album covers or even thought to request an artist.

But what blows everyone away is my home theater setup, which uses the same stereo speakers plus many, many more. Everyone loves movies with Dolby Atmos surround sound and the sub-woofer is a real big hit. I can turn up the volume and nobody complains, amazing. They love it when the sofa vibrates.

Forget about music, home theater is where it's at when you want to show off your system. Crank it up and they'll stay for hours and rave about the sound afterward too.