Using an AVR as a pre amp for your 2 channel music system

randalljkrebs

Please give me the pros and cons of using an AVR as your pre-amp in your 2 channel music system. 

I have a Peachtree GaN 400 amp with Tekton Moabs - RME adi 2 dac .  I’m using a Morantz 1540 AVR for room correction and as a pre-amp but seem to be losing a lot  of the micro dynamics of the music.  The room correction does help and smooths out some of the highs but I’m losing a lot in the process.

Please help….

Early B.

Re: Using an AVR as a pre amp for your 2 channel music system
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2021, 05:53 pm »
You answered your own question. No pros and a long list of cons.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2021, 06:27 pm »
In my system I have never heard an integrated amp, receiver or AVR match the smoothness and microdynamics a separate preamp brings to the system. Even the well regarded and expensive Anthem AVR 60 is no match compared to a Van Alstine preamp for 2 channel.

You can try disabling the room correction for the DAC input but the question is why do you need the highs smoothed out? Are there a lot of reflective surfaces like glass in the room? Are the Moabs too large for the room? Are you sitting too close to 34 drivers?

Hapa Audio RCA cables excel in microdynamics. The Breathe C, the most affordable cable in the Hapa lineup will tame aggressive highs while the highest priced has more dimensionality with clear extended highs.
Plenty of reviews to get you started in the Hapa Circle: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=45

randalljkrebs

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2021, 08:00 pm »
Thank you.