Whitney Houston dead

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Whitney Houston dead
« Reply #20 on: 12 Feb 2012, 09:03 pm »
One singer ruined soul music?

Hell yeah... She was going to receive a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammys tonight for single-handedly wrecking soul music but it got lost in all the hoopla what with her dying and all.

D.D.

jackman

« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2012, 09:12 pm »

Yep, not to mention Polka. She destroyed Polka.

soundbitten1

« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2012, 09:23 pm »

Yep, she spawned an army of copycats.

soundbitten1

« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2012, 09:33 pm »

Oh yeah I forgot about the polka album, it was terrible.

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2012, 09:49 pm »
This will probably be the most watched Grammy's of all time with Whitney dying just before the show.

rpf

« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2012, 09:57 pm »

How is it possible to destroy Polka?  :lol:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2012, 10:01 pm »
With her chops it's too bad she didn't get into jazz and blues instead of wasting her talent on insipid pop songs like " I'll Always Love You :x or whatever it's called.

OzarkTom

« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2012, 10:04 pm »
This is hard to hear because of the crowd hollering, but this is Whitney's last song she sang just a couple of days ago. Her voice is clearly wasted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/11/whitney-houston-dead-last-performance-yes-jesus-loves-me_n_1270978.html

bside123

« Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2012, 11:45 pm »
With her chops it's too bad she didn't get into jazz and blues instead of wasting her talent on insipid pop songs like " I'll Always Love You :x or whatever it's called.

FWIW, "I Will Always Love You" was an extremely well-crafted country song written in 1973 by Dolly Parton. Whitney Houston's version became an "insipid pop" hit, but the original version is very true to its genre. For all of the hype around Dolly Parton's attributes... she could write incredible ballads and songs and has been universally respected among the greatest of the country artists.

No, I also was not a Whitney Houston fan... too many talented people have wasted their gifts... it's pathetic.

jackman

« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2012, 11:52 pm »
Oh yeah I forgot about the polka album, it was terrible.

It was that ill fated duet album with Bobby Vinton.  The day the polka died...

bummrush

« Reply #30 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:07 am »
Too bad the people on the big payroll didn't have enough balls to stop the powder trail to her, cause there sure as hell  just as guilty as any dealer hanging around

jackman

« Reply #31 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:19 am »
Too bad the people on the big payroll didn't have enough balls to stop the powder trail to her, cause there sure as hell  just as guilty as any dealer hanging around

In the end, we are all responsible for our own actions.  From the sound of it, I don't think anyone on a big payroll wanted anything to do with Ms. Houston in a long time...unless you count her crack dealer.  I'm guessing she had easy access to drugs from fans and people who wanted to hang with a celeb, even one whose star was a bit tarnished and whose fame was for things that happened a long time ago. 

Addiction is really tough for normal people, but it's probably more complicated for celebrities.  They either have lots of cash or (when the cash dries up) people willing to give them drugs and free drinks to hang with a celeb.  Once a person falls into that spiral, it's really hard to get them back on track. 

I'm not going to watch the Grammys because it will all be about Houston. It's tragic but I've had enough of this phony Hollywood sympathy crap.

kbuzz3

« Reply #32 on: 13 Feb 2012, 12:44 am »
I can't say I was a fan of Whitney Houston's best-known music and am surprised to find myself coming to the defense of her legacy but...

a) You can say ( as I have ) that you don't like her choice of songs to record but to call her talent "slight" is just not true. The woman had an AWESOME voice. We can agree that we may not appreciate what she chose to sing but there is no disputing ( at least before she ravaged her voice with booze, smokes and drugs ) that the woman could sing. She , if you care about such things, also shifted over 55 million units in the US alone and became a huge star without slutting it up to get attention. No talent?  No way....

b) As to her background and lack of "soul", it must be noted in all fairness that her dominance of the charts included the R & B charts as well as the pop charts. It should also be noted that her mother was Cissy Houston, one of the all-time great gospel singers. And as Aretha Franklin was Houston's godmother, I'm pretty sure she had the opportunity to hear an Aretha tune or two, maybe even in person. The music that Whitney Houston chose to record was really a reflection of what was current at the time and I think that if Aretha Franklin's 60's hits had been released around the time where Houston had her monster singles, Aretha would have been considered a talented but anachronistic throw-back like Sharon Jones is today. How do you think Freeway Of Love compares when held up to Respect or Chain Of Fools? I'd love to hear what you have to say about Tina Turner and her 60's material vs. Private Dancer. Let's not live in what Stevie Wonder so aptly described as "a pasttime paradise".

As to her personal life, well as entertainers and artists go, she wasn't breaking any new ground there, was she? In recent memory, we've also lost Amy Winehouse and Etta James, both of whom had well-known long-term struggles with substance abuse.

Well, that certainly felt weird...think I'll go listen to some Rage Against The Machine now... :scratch:

D.D.

Always glad to see another opinion.  makes this board interesting.  As to your point a, yes she did have some talent.  But more to your point B, i should have been clearer- that pedigree was exactly my issue. Given those influence, her legacy was imho pathetic.  I was speaking exactly about cissy and aretha.  She was a waste of talent not b/c of her lifestyle issues, which certainly did not help. She was a waste of talent b/c of the crap she sang. He production values were even worse then her song and music choices.

Maybe if her dealer had locked her in a room and made her digest some nina simone along with what ever poison she was taking she could have been saved.

I think the better comparison would be to etta james. If you listen to some of her later live work that's been circulating recently because of her death, you can hear more "soul" and feeling in 3 minutes-even decades after addiction problems.  And she in these years sang "pop" also. Except it was,  for lack of a better term "Good"

My point again. Dont mourn for some one who destroyed her life musically.  If you want to mourn b/c of the tragic consequences of addiction and enabling ok. But she WAS NOT a singer that should be considered a loss to the world-musically speaking.

She should be remembered not for her music but for one of the all time great stupid quotes on tv I recall when being interviewed by oprah or similar years ago,  she said she could could not possibly be an addict or drug abuser because no one could show her "the receipts for her drug purchases."  Now that is a statement on addiction that says something.

Sorry for my strong opinions. But since this is an audiophile and music board, i think the emphasis should be on quality not popularity.

« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2012, 05:28 pm by kbuzz3 »

nathanm

« Reply #33 on: 14 Feb 2012, 09:32 pm »
Polka can not be destroyed by any craft we here possess.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #34 on: 14 Feb 2012, 09:39 pm »

Ultimately, the 'no' needed to come from her and, it seems, it never did.

Some folks have addictive personalities and simply can't say no.  Those around her who might've tried to shield 'Whitney Houston; the person' were probably brushed off by 'Whitney Houston;the addict'.

That voice was golden and she cut quite an alluring figure on stage.  All squeezed into a too short life.  RIP.

EDIT - I just read jackman's post above...I'm pretty much saying what he said better 8)
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2012, 11:54 pm by TheChairGuy »

soundbitten1

« Reply #35 on: 14 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm »
Clive Davis said something to the fact that "once Whitney had enough money she was no longer interested in her career."

Delta Wave

« Reply #36 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:13 pm »
I have zero sympathy for her. She was a wealthy woman on drugs, poor her. If people cared so much for her why didn't they do something to stop her? With that kind of money and influence, her being addicted to drugs just tells me she lacked any kind of creativity and passion. Because a creative person or someone with a lot of passion in a subject will always find something better to do... drugs would always be a secondary thing, even for an addict.

kgturner

« Reply #37 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:49 pm »

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #38 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:56 pm »
Polka can not be destroyed by any craft we here possess.

True. We can at best only hope to harness the power of polka for good rather than evil.

D.D.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #39 on: 14 Feb 2012, 11:56 pm »
Clive Davis said something to the fact that "once Whitney had enough money she was no longer interested in her career."

I'm hoping to reach the same point in my life (sooner rather than later) :lol:

I just KNOW I'd make a great, filthy RICH, retired person  :wink: