Whitney Houston dead

ken

Whitney Houston dead
« on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:05 am »
Just read that Whitney Houston died.  No details as of yet.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: Whitney Houston dead
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:09 am »
Wonder if she pulled a winehouse

rpf

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:11 am »
Sad: so much talent wasted.

RIP.

LadyDog

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2012, 02:54 am »
Agree, sad.  Such a pretty voice.

xtra1car

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2012, 03:18 am »
Yahoo News just had to emphasize her drug problem -right there in the headline... pretty disrespectful if you ask me.

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 12 Feb 2012, 03:36 pm »
Cocaine is a hell of a drug...

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2012, 03:52 pm »
Cocaine is a hell of a drug...

I'm Rick James, beeotch.

kbuzz3

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2012, 04:11 pm »
no offense to the dead and you can flame me away but imho she sucked, just awful-even before the abuse.  Amazing too me that someone of her background had literally no soul.  Just generic, super flat, pop, with some slight talent above your average top forty dreck.  Im still after all these years flabbergasted at why this singer is so popular. I mean could she just listen to an aretha record once and apply this to something, anything

What a complete waste.  Imagine channelling that talent into a quality band, performance or song selection. Sorry but to me shes a singing kardashian. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2012, 04:28 pm »
Not to sound too cold here, but Whitney's career died the day she married Bobby Brown 20 years ago.

It was a very big waste of talent.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

bprice2

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2012, 05:21 pm »
no offense to the dead and you can flame me away but imho she sucked, just awful-even before the abuse.  Amazing too me that someone of her background had literally no soul.  Just generic, super flat, pop, with some slight talent above your average top forty dreck.  Im still after all these years flabbergasted at why this singer is so popular. I mean could she just listen to an aretha record once and apply this to something, anything

What a complete waste.  Imagine channelling that talent into a quality band, performance or song selection. Sorry but to me shes a singing kardashian.

You'll get no flame from me...I agree with you.  Her entire career seemed like a bad joke.  Speaking of bad jokes...there seems to be plenty of them.

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2012, 05:34 pm »
Why are talented people so stupid? I mean really am I supposed to feel shocked about her death? Or that of Amy winehouse, Heath Ledger or any number of talented artists that inflict this sort of awful self torment on themselves?

I wish I could say its sad, but I quit feeling sorry for these types a long time ago.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2012, 06:13 pm »

I can't say I was a fan of Whitney Houston's best-known music and am surprised to find myself coming to the defense of her legacy but...

a) You can say ( as I have ) that you don't like her choice of songs to record but to call her talent "slight" is just not true. The woman had an AWESOME voice. We can agree that we may not appreciate what she chose to sing but there is no disputing ( at least before she ravaged her voice with booze, smokes and drugs ) that the woman could sing. She , if you care about such things, also shifted over 55 million units in the US alone and became a huge star without slutting it up to get attention. No talent?  No way....

b) As to her background and lack of "soul", it must be noted in all fairness that her dominance of the charts included the R & B charts as well as the pop charts. It should also be noted that her mother was Cissy Houston, one of the all-time great gospel singers. And as Aretha Franklin was Houston's godmother, I'm pretty sure she had the opportunity to hear an Aretha tune or two, maybe even in person. The music that Whitney Houston chose to record was really a reflection of what was current at the time and I think that if Aretha Franklin's 60's hits had been released around the time where Houston had her monster singles, Aretha would have been considered a talented but anachronistic throw-back like Sharon Jones is today. How do you think Freeway Of Love compares when held up to Respect or Chain Of Fools? I'd love to hear what you have to say about Tina Turner and her 60's material vs. Private Dancer. Let's not live in what Stevie Wonder so aptly described as "a pasttime paradise".

As to her personal life, well as entertainers and artists go, she wasn't breaking any new ground there, was she? In recent memory, we've also lost Amy Winehouse and Etta James, both of whom had well-known long-term struggles with substance abuse.

Well, that certainly felt weird...think I'll go listen to some Rage Against The Machine now... :scratch:

D.D.

kingdeezie

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2012, 07:28 pm »
Rest in peace.

rpf

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2012, 07:29 pm »
I can't say I was a fan of Whitney Houston's best-known music and am surprised to find myself coming to the defense of her legacy but...

a) You can say ( as I have ) that you don't like her choice of songs to record but to call her talent "slight" is just not true. The woman had an AWESOME voice. We can agree that we may not appreciate what she chose to sing but there is no disputing ( at least before she ravaged her voice with booze, smokes and drugs ) that the woman could sing. She , if you care about such things, also shifted over 55 million units in the US alone and became a huge star without slutting it up to get attention. No talent?  No way....

b) As to her background and lack of "soul", it must be noted in all fairness that her dominance of the charts included the R & B charts as well as the pop charts. It should also be noted that her mother was Cissy Houston, one of the all-time great gospel singers. And as Aretha Franklin was Houston's godmother, I'm pretty sure she had the opportunity to hear an Aretha tune or two, maybe even in person. The music that Whitney Houston chose to record was really a reflection of what was current at the time and I think that if Aretha Franklin's 60's hits had been released around the time where Houston had her monster singles, Aretha would have been considered a talented but anachronistic throw-back like Sharon Jones is today. How do you think Freeway Of Love compares when held up to Respect or Chain Of Fools? I'd love to hear what you have to say about Tina Turner and her 60's material vs. Private Dancer. Let's not live in what Stevie Wonder so aptly described as "a pasttime paradise".

As to her personal life, well as entertainers and artists go, she wasn't breaking any new ground there, was she? In recent memory, we've also lost Amy Winehouse and Etta James, both of whom had well-known long-term struggles with substance abuse.

Well, that certainly felt weird...think I'll go listen to some Rage Against The Machine now... :scratch:

D.D.

Agreed. The music was enjoyable for what it was and the voice was amazing.

As neurologists are finding that addiction is at least partly hardwired into the brain, a bit less condemnation and a bit more sympathy might be in order.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2012, 07:44 pm »
Agreed. The music was enjoyable for what it was and the voice was amazing.

... a bit less condemnation and a bit more sympathy might be in order.

And maybe even a little R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

sock it to me - sock it to me - sock it to me - sock it to me - sock it to me - sock it to me - sock it to me - sock it to me        just a little bit...just a little bit...

D.D.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2012, 08:14 pm »
Gossiping about the dead is mostly productive fodder for the tabloid industry (yay, we have a new story we can beat to death for months :deadhorse:), and I wonder if there'll be a long delay before the burial, as there has been with some other expired celebutards.

Perhaps things would have turned out differently if close friends would have payed more attention while she was STILL ALIVE...or maybe not. Either way, the world will be paying attention now. Typical.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2012, 08:45 pm »
People from all walks of life have drug and alcohol problems.
A predisposition to addiction is genetic as a previous poster alluded to.
Those in the spotlight have easy access to the drugs, they can afford them and they're under an awful lot of pressure to perform at a high standard.  Perhaps they set the bar for themselves too high or maybe they just make bad decisions.
Either way, a shame.

soundbitten1

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2012, 08:53 pm »

I agree. She completely ruined soul music.

rpf

« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2012, 08:58 pm »
I agree. She completely ruined soul music.

One singer ruined soul music?