My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard

hum4god

Re: My new CAPS V2+ build; best digital I've heard
« Reply #140 on: 11 Dec 2012, 02:10 am »
Hi Ted

would you still say that it is not necessary to optimize windows 8 pro full version if you use fidelizer or is there a list of things besides the one that you gave in post   44 (see below )    that you would recommend for best sound ?

Sunday OCT 28 UPDATE: STOP THE PRESSES
go here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110542.msg1147653#msg1147653

OCT 28 UPDATE:  Windows 8 tweaks (not recommended until you install production Windows 8, or if you are waiting until January, go ahead with these temporarily )

I will post my ( special thanks to Terry Hubbart and Chris Connaker) detailed Windows  8 optimization activity.   In the meantime Fidelizer is a great free optimization product; just goofy cuz you need to rerun after reboots, etc.

This Windows 8 Audio Optimization set of routines is early, based on Windows 8 Preview, and is somewhat experimental, meaning it won't harm your CAPS server (turning stuff off is good) but has not proven to be perfect yet.  Fidelizer STILL IMPROVES THE SOUND, SO CONTINUE TO USE IT!![/i]  If you try to run Update Assistant it may fail due to these tweaks!

Windows 8 Audio Optimization

1) In control Panel (Computer, right-click -> properties) go to Windows Features. Turn off Internet Explorer (it will leave some residual IE stuff, don;t worry about it) and uninstall nearly all other Windows "Features" including Games, Indexing, Search, Printing, etc.

2)  Then disable System Restore, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and Windows Update. Obviously there is no anti-virus software on the C.A.P.S server.

3)  Remove everything you can from the startup folder (in Win 8 it's in a tab in Task Manager, which is found via right-click on bottom task bar)

4)  Unpin (right click, unpin) all the extraneous apps (yes, they now call them apps) from the Start menu , so you end up with something as stark as this (Chris recommended to replace IE with a much lighter and more secure Google Chrome, for those few times artwork is needed to be retrieved):

5)  Then head back to Task Manager and go to the Services tab.  Pick "open Services" , sort by name then status to get all the "running" services first.  Then, using the attached list, right click on those missing from this list, go to Properties and first stop, then disable each service (hit apply, ok). 

This seems like a lot of work, but doesn't need to be done all in one sitting.  The first few steps, however, can be accomplished in 5 minutes.

I have tested Fidelizer with these changes, and although not the stark differences as before it continues to improve the sound.  It is clear we are not exactly sure what Fidelizer does to re-prioritize streams, etc.  I will continue to use Fidelizer after each reboot.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #141 on: 11 Dec 2012, 02:21 am »
I haven't decided yet.  I am still running Preview, so I will leave the optimizations alone until I move to full Win 8 (it's bought, downloaded and on my bootable USB, just haven't done it yet).  My gut is yes, it is good to do these things, once you have full Win 8 loaded.  But i still swear by Fidelizer too, regardless.  I have added a 3 minute delay, via Task Scheduler, to J River/mediaserver (argument in Task Scheduler that loads j River as server only) so Fidelizer can do its thing upon reboot, and J River is not "in the way".

glineus

« Reply #142 on: 23 Dec 2012, 02:01 pm »
I have a CAPS V2 optomised for low latency. Maintenance is carried out via mouse and keyboard. I have tried both Chrome RDP and windows RDP and cannot connect my Desktop with the CAPS. Please give me some guidance as I am definitively  doing something incorrect.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #143 on: 23 Dec 2012, 02:07 pm »
I use Splashtop VNC, so not sure how a remote desktop sets up.  Anybody?

TJHUB

« Reply #144 on: 23 Dec 2012, 02:17 pm »
I couldn't get any of the RDPs working either.  I use Splashtop.

glineus

« Reply #145 on: 23 Dec 2012, 02:51 pm »
Is it because of firewall issues? Would I be able to use the VNC programme you are using with the firewall disabled?

glineus

« Reply #146 on: 23 Dec 2012, 03:04 pm »
Oh Sorry! Splashtop is not a VNC programme.

Tubeburner

« Reply #147 on: 23 Dec 2012, 03:12 pm »
I use TeamViewer for remote access from another computer. Free program and works excellent.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #148 on: 23 Dec 2012, 03:14 pm »
Oh Sorry! Splashtop is not a VNC programme.
Yes it is (they claim proprietary but it is generally a VNC type app), and can be run on a pc (my easiest setup for any maintenance requiring more than a reboot, etc) and an IOS device (I have it on my ipad for simple reboot issues while in the listening chair)..

For Remote Desktop you need Win 8 Pro, as standard Win 8 does not include it.

glineus

« Reply #149 on: 23 Dec 2012, 04:39 pm »
Thanks for the information but I am still using Windows 7 that is optomised for low latency by small green computers. The firewall and all  attachments are disconnected.  Can I connect the CAPS remotely to my Desktop or Laptop for maintenance purposes without enabling  the firewall. I was checking Splashtop that was mentioned in a previous post but I think the firewall comes into question as well.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #150 on: 23 Dec 2012, 04:47 pm »
I have no firewall enabled.  It's fine with Splashtop.

kyrill

« Reply #151 on: 23 Dec 2012, 07:36 pm »
unless I missed it on the previous pages, if using W8 why not using JPLay? Windows with JPlay is entering a different domain leaving all other  render programs behind. Also Caps V2 needs mods to sound best  :green:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #152 on: 23 Dec 2012, 11:21 pm »
unless I missed it on the previous pages, if using W8 why not using JPLay? Windows with JPlay is entering a different domain leaving all other  render programs behind. Also Caps V2 needs mods to sound best  :green:

Have you heard my CAPS V2+??  Why get on here to my thread and say my design needs mods??  My Caps V2+ needs no mods, thank you.  And jplay is a disaster (and not necessary anyway) with anything I or TJhub have tried with this server.  I am in a "don't fix what ain't broken" mode.  Jplay is a layer that is troublesome and redundant.

kyrill

« Reply #153 on: 23 Dec 2012, 11:37 pm »
Any Electromagnetic interference needs mods, also yr caps v2, and you dont fix what is broken? So why did you upgrade in the first place? Was yr CD  player broken??
And you KNOW about JPLay without given it a try?
and last but not least  this is your thread?? I know you started it...but you dont know what is in the public domain belongs to the public?

sryI may have  a too strong habit to reflect ppl attitudes . ;)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #154 on: 24 Dec 2012, 12:06 am »
Yes, my cd player was broken.  And yes this thread is about MY design; you are calling my baby ugly without ever seeing him (has nothing to do with public domain argument).  And finally, please read my all words if you are going to respond to them; I HAVE tried jplay (as I stated, both TJHUb and I have tried it in this almost identical-CAPS setup).  I do NOT like it at all!  YMMV.

Do some work: do the V2+ build, do the mods, listen, a/b it and report back on your findings. 

Happy Holidays.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #155 on: 24 Dec 2012, 12:25 am »
I have played with JPLay and I would touch it with a 10 foot pole!

Snake oil.

Alex

kyrill

« Reply #156 on: 24 Dec 2012, 11:34 am »
I actually admire yr endeavor and wanted to give you two suggestions which helped me and hundreds if not thousands of others to uplift their listening pleasure
1) the use of JPlay, I learned that only the most stubborn JRiver worshipers detest JPlay on all kinds of ideological grnds, those with "cotton ears" or those with a non transparent "flat" sound equipment. In better equipment it may the wrong USB audiophile cable.  If Jplay can play in hib mode on the system and yes some configurations do not allow hib mode, than guaranteed a difference must be heard unless, see above. I had no clue in which camp you were, so I thought I gave you a golden tip with JPlay as you did not mention it, unless I missed it?
2) All motherboards also the one you choose are very unmusical as all motherboards are. All motherboards are  still extensions from the historical root idea what a computer is and obey that idea: a number cruncher processor and digital data storage and it that case a computer is practically perfect. Audio streaming? A complete alien idea to any computer design (still)Why do you think the better motherboards have so many sometimes over a dozen coils?Why should they be there in 1st place?  But even the best coil cannot stop the broadcasting of RFI at its multiple sources that bounces all over the innards of the computer. The existence of EMI comes on top of that. There is an extensive search and in depth dialogue of the caveats and 'wonders' of PC as music server going on many forums and the one I follow over more than 15 months. From that rich source I wanted to give you those 2 advises as there are many many other missing from yr text description of yr v2. Maybe you did incorporate some of them but that would only be guessing. And I did not mention yr baby ugly, these are yr words. I am convinced she looks very beautiful
happy Xmas and a fine  intense New years eve.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2012, 01:44 pm by kyrill »

TJHUB

« Reply #157 on: 24 Dec 2012, 02:53 pm »
I actually admire yr endeavor and wanted to give you two suggestions which helped me and hundreds if not thousands of others to uplift their listening pleasure
1) the use of JPlay, I learned that only the most stubborn JRiver worshipers detest JPlay on all kinds of ideological grnds, those with "cotton ears" or those with a non transparent "flat" sound equipment. In better equipment it may the wrong USB audiophile cable.  If Jplay can play in hib mode on the system and yes some configurations do not allow hib mode, than guaranteed a difference must be heard unless, see above. I had no clue in which camp you were, so I thought I gave you a golden tip with JPlay as you did not mention it, unless I missed it?
2) All motherboards also the one you choose are very unmusical as all motherboards are. All motherboards are  still extensions from the historical root idea what a computer is and obey that idea: a number cruncher processor and digital data storage and it that case a computer is practically perfect. Audio streaming? A complete alien idea to any computer design (still)Why do you think the better motherboards have so many sometimes over a dozen coils?Why should they be there in 1st place?  But even the best coil cannot stop the broadcasting of RFI at its multiple sources that bounces all over the innards of the computer. The existence of EMI comes on top of that. There is an extensive search and in depth dialogue of the caveats and 'wonders' of PC as music server going on many forums and the one I follow over more than 15 months. From that rich source I wanted to give you those 2 advises as there are many many other missing from yr text description of yr v2. Maybe you did incorporate some of them but that would only be guessing. And I did not mention yr baby ugly, these are yr words. I am convinced she looks very beautiful
happy Xmas and a fine  intense New years eve.

I realize that you might be trying to help on some level, but please understand you are not.  You should also know your audience a bit more before making your generalized statements. 

I personally think nothing of JPlay; not its sound, not its function, nothing.  Everyone should try it.  If they like it?  Great!  If not, I wouldn't tell them they are wrong about anything. 

Have you heard a CAPS server?  A SOtM USB card?  Please don't answer these question as I mean them only for you to ask yourself. 

kyrill

« Reply #158 on: 24 Dec 2012, 04:35 pm »
I understand where you come from but dont make Einsteins of normal logical approaches to make a good sounding computer  from of the shelves gear.
Hynes power will do some good but cannot restore the faults further up the power line. SotM is nice too but not the best approach. All in all much better than a laptop I agree but not better than other approaches, on the contrary. I rest my case

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #159 on: 24 Dec 2012, 04:55 pm »
Yes, Kyrill, it IS better than other approaches that I have tried.  That is why I went to the significant work of not only designing it, but publishing my findings, my tips and my sonic feedback.   Until you build the Caps V2+ (or publish your own designs on another thread) you have absolutely no right to empirically say mine is flawed and/or other approaches are much better.  What kind of person comes on a thread like this, sh%ts on the approach of the designer, with no actual experience with it, and expects an attentive audience of "gee wiz, tell us more".  You can have your opinion, but it is simply based on heresay, and your credibility (and agenda) is questionable based on that logic, cuz you have not even tried my approach.  How is it that you don't understand this, yet continue to be insensitive? 

And don't add in the Hynes comments as being yours (as some measure of trying to be on the same page), cuz I've already said multiple times that the Hynes may well be overkill, since it loses its domain over clean power once the mobo dirties it up and sends it downstream.  Hence, the use of USB power solutions like the SOtM battery or iFi power supply.

Net/net, we understand you don't like my design.  I'm not interested in hearing it again until you show me what you have actually done to the design to improve it (actual CAPS V2+ feedback please, not theory and bs).   I'm very open to real world actual working tweaks, mods and other improvements.