Watch Siri Automate A House....

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Watch Siri Automate A House....
« on: 13 Feb 2013, 09:58 am »

Napalm

Re: Watch Siri Automate A House....
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2013, 10:05 am »
Very interesting. I'm looking forward to purchase some 3 years term  $50/month "data plan" that will enable me to open the garage door.

murphy11

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:50 pm »
Pretty cool but my first thought as he pressed the Siri button to say Open Garage Door is isn't there a garage door remote or pad mounted with a button that does the same thing? Ditto for changing the channel on a TV, etc.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm »
Big whoop. I don't get it. Basically it's a voice control interface to devices controllable via network, IR or RF.  That Nest thermostat in the video is $240. Siri ain't gonna control my $25 Honeywell thermostat.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2013, 01:39 pm »
That's the problem with these things, they sound great but either have inconsistent results or are too expensive.  They showed a round thermostat on This Old House that supposedly learned your patterns in order to be able to turn up or down the heat/AC automatically.  The gentleman discussing it said that a benefit was you didn't have to program it the way you do other thermostats.  However, you had to remember to walk over to it and turn it up and down whenever you wanted to do so.  It was also five times the cost of my programmable thermostat.  I have a small house and two thermostats.  You're looking at $500 or more just for thermostats and you still have to use them a lot until they learn your habits.  It's not worth it to me.

avta

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2013, 03:21 pm »
My virus scan ( Avast ) says this site has a virus. Anyone else get an alert?

srb

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2013, 03:24 pm »
My virus scan ( Avast ) says this site has a virus. Anyone else get an alert?

McAfee says it's safe with no security issues found.

?

polyglot

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2013, 07:46 pm »
That's the problem with these things, they sound great but either have inconsistent results or are too expensive.  They showed a round thermostat on This Old House that supposedly learned your patterns in order to be able to turn up or down the heat/AC automatically.  The gentleman discussing it said that a benefit was you didn't have to program it the way you do other thermostats.  However, you had to remember to walk over to it and turn it up and down whenever you wanted to do so.  It was also five times the cost of my programmable thermostat.  I have a small house and two thermostats.  You're looking at $500 or more just for thermostats and you still have to use them a lot until they learn your habits.  It's not worth it to me.

So you set the first floor to 77 degrees and instructs Siri to heat up the oven to 350 degrees before you come home. Siri just got an auto update and sets the temperature right, but wrong interfaces. Call Apple support to claim your house insurance?

Maybe Apple is better than Microsoft, I would never have it in my home automation and definitely not in my car. Upon collision, you see the GPS-screen  comes up with "Air bags will be deployed. Are you sure, Press "Y"...arrgh too late...