New DAC-10H

Randy Myers

New DAC-10H
« on: 26 Aug 2016, 01:14 am »
Hello everyone...

I just received a new DAC-10H earlier today.  I am replacing a pre-amplifier and dac.  I wanted to combine the two to simplify and make things a bit more straight forward.  I also like the idea of getting a good headphone amplifier.  I will probably start looking into some decent balanced headphone in the near future.

A little bit about myself.  I was into high end audio back in the day (25-30 years ago), but with career and family I fell out of it.  About a year ago I got back into this wonderful hobby and have been changing out gear and relearning this whole world again.  I was happy with how my system is coming along except I wanted to simply the control aspect (pre/dac).  The DAC-10H looked pretty nice... so here we are.

So far it seems nice.  The only issue I am encountering so far is with Redbook CDs.  My music server plays great through USB and displays all resolutions fine, going through a W4S Recovery unit.  SA-CDs play great through L1 also.  I have the coax output from the Marantz SA8005 hooked to a W4S Remedy and on to the NuPrime.  It plays fine, but, the Remedy up scales to 96kHz, but it only displays 44.1 on the front display.  Shouldn't it display 96 like my previous DAC?

Thanks,

Randy

Randy Myers

Re: New DAC-10H
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2016, 06:55 pm »
No one has any idea on this?  I know the Remedy is sending out 96 kHz, so is the DAC-10H reading that it is a Redbook and setting itself to 44.1?

EDIT:
I believe in giving credit where credit is due.  Jason from NuPrime e-mailed me today addressing my concerns.  It is very much appreciated!

I believe from his e-mail that this is not an issue. 
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2016, 08:04 pm by Randy Myers »

shahed

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2016, 03:12 am »
Would love to hear your feedback on how the Dac-10 performs as a preamp. Which amp you are using it with?

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2016, 03:39 am »
shahed

The DAC-10 preamp section is first rate.  I have used it with multiple amps.  It now sits in front of the ST-10.

Randy Myers

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2016, 03:51 am »
I have mine hooked up as the control center for my system.  It is the pre-amplifer, DAC, and headphone amplifier.  I have the balanced outputs going to a SST Son of Ampzilla II, the RCA outputs are feeding a REL subwoofer.  The Ampzilla is powering MC speakers.  For sources I use a highly modified Falcon Northwest Tiki computer as a dedicated Roon headless server.  I use a Surface Pro 3 as a Roon controller.  I also have a Marantz SA8005 and a Yamaha BD-S677 spinners.  I can listen to Redbook CDs, SA-CDs, DVD audio, HDCD, and Blu-Ray music disks.  I use Sennheiser HD 800 S headphones with a balanced cable off the DAC-10H.  I also use a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy and Recovery reclocker units!

So far the NuPrime seems to be a very nice pre-amplifier.  It certainly fulfills my needs!

shahed

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:15 am »
Wonderful feedback!

JackD, which other preamps you have used in your system?

Do you guys notice any difference in sound quality through balanced out vs single ended output of the dac?

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:27 am »
shahed

I have used as many preamps over the last decade as you have fingers on both hands.  Currently in use along with the DAC-10 is the W4S STP-SE and the Modwright LS-100.  The preamp section of the DAC-10 can hold it's own with either one of the others.  All different flavors but all excellent.

Randy Myers

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:29 am »
I have not compared the RCA outputs with the XLR going to the amplifier since I use both.  The RCA feed the subwoofer.  In previous setups there was a noticeable improvement.

shahed

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:54 am »
JackD, I used to own a MW LS100. Thats a big endorsement that DAC 10 can hold its own.

Randy, When you say there was a noticeable improvement in the previous setup, do you mean improvement from going to single ended to balanced?

Randy Myers

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2016, 05:31 am »
Yes :)

shahed

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2016, 05:46 am »
Which means, I have to get some balanced interconnect if I end up getting this dac. :(

Randy Myers

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2016, 02:42 pm »
You do not have to, it is just a nice improvement :)...  At this point I would not even consider a pre-amplifier that does not have balanced outputs.  Headphone outputs included  :P...

jonbee

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2016, 04:34 pm »
shahed

The DAC-10 preamp section is first rate.  I have used it with multiple amps.  It now sits in front of the ST-10.
I've used many good preamps and DACS as well, often costing 2x or more the price of the DAC10H. I can say the Dac10 is as clean and transparent as the best of them, and the features are perfect for my needs. I only wished they added a balanced AES/EBU digital input, but that's not a deal breaker by any means.
It is an amazing bargain.
I can't say how it compares to the 5 figure competition, but it sounds great on its own terms, even better with the mods.

reillyzing

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2016, 05:42 pm »
I have a large collection of cds, mostly the best mastering I could find on cd of my favorite albums.
What does upsampling redbook to DSD do to the sound?

shahed

« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2016, 06:14 pm »
I have a large collection of cds, mostly the best mastering I could find on cd of my favorite albums.

I would love to know this as well. These days I upsample everything to DSD through HQPlayer. How is the DSD 256 performance?

Randy Myers

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2016, 10:29 pm »

On my previous DAC I up-sampled everything to DSD, including my flac downloads.  With the DAC-10H I no longer up sample the flac files.  The NuPrime seems to play flac files better than my previous DAC did even though they used the same ESS chip.  On Redbook CDs I do run them through the Wyred 4 Sound Remedy which not only re-clocks but it up samples to 96KHz.  Jason asked me to compare with and without the Remedy after I got the DAC-10H.  The Remedy made a nice difference, but the NuPrime DAC-10H implementation of the DAC seems absolutely outstanding to me!

I do look for my favorite albums in SA-CD and DSD downloads however (and then the highest level of PCM download I can find).  They definitely sound better this way.  And then when nothing else is available Redbooks through the Remedy.  Obviously I have quite a few Redbooks :)...

The DSD performance on the DAC-10H is outstanding, but the PCM is also so good that I no longer require up sampling everything.

giordy60

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2016, 10:08 pm »
hi Jason
what is the function of this AKM  in dac 10 ?

audio.bill

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2016, 11:42 pm »
hi Jason
what is the function of this AKM  in dac 10 ?
The AK4113 is a 24-bit stereo digital audio receiver that supports sampling rates up to 216kHz. http://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/datasheet1/?partno=AK4113VF

giordy60

« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2016, 07:05 am »
but what is the function that the dac 10?
since the signals are processed by Sabre

giordy60

« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2016, 07:58 am »
I get it  :green:

The AK4113 is a 24-bit stereo digital audio receiver that supports sampling rates up to 216kHz. The channel status bits decoder supports both consumer and professional modes. The AK4113 automatically detects non-PCM bit streams such as Dolby Digital, MPEG etc. When combined with the multi channel codec (AK4626 or AK4628), the two chips provide a system solution for Dolby Digital applications. Control of AK4113 is achieved though a µP or pin strapping (parallel mode). It is packaged in a space-saving 30-pin VSOP.
* Dolby Digital is a trademark of Dolby Laboratories.