Suggestions of a discless and headless media server

ttan98

Suggestions of a discless and headless media server
« on: 24 Apr 2019, 12:32 pm »
Currently, I have one system as above based on the Daphile software running on a fanless system. It works quite well.

I have spare hardware running on Windows 10 based on the AMD CPU which I can convert to the fanless system. I like your inputs on how I should make up this system, ie what media software I should be using, eg Roon, Fidelizer, Kazoo, Kinsky, etc such the combo software and hardware would be superior to my above system.

Thanks in advance.

mcgsxr

Re: Suggestions of a discless and headless media server
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2019, 02:02 pm »
I'm interested to see the recommendations.

I too still use the LMS landscape for my digital playback.

I wonder what folks think is better, and I wonder what $ investment that requires.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2019, 02:10 pm »
I don't think anyone can convince the OP that some particular software is "superior" to what he is already using. You have to figure it out for yourself. Roon is the best integrated / most seamless  (of the systems I've used) but costs some money. The particular features it has may or may not have value for you. I like the DLNA ecosystem because a. I've figured out how to use it and b. it works with lots of devices from a Raspberry Pi up to a DEQX (well, so does Roon) and there is also c. it's free, so that's money I can spend on the streaming service. If you have a spare Windows machine, perhaps give JPlay Femto a try.

ricmon

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2019, 01:23 pm »
I too use Daphile and love the current release.  But for Windows try foobar.  It's free and works well and has plenty of plugins.

Ric

ttan98

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2019, 05:48 am »
I don't think anyone can convince the OP that some particular software is "superior" to what he is already using. You have to figure it out for yourself. Roon is the best integrated / most seamless  (of the systems I've used) but costs some money. The particular features it has may or may not have value for you. I like the DLNA ecosystem because a. I've figured out how to use it and b. it works with lots of devices from a Raspberry Pi up to a DEQX (well, so does Roon) and there is also c. it's free, so that's money I can spend on the streaming service. If you have a spare Windows machine, perhaps give JPlay Femto a try.

I am not sure how to use JplayFemto, is it similar to Fidelizer configuring Windows to may conducive to audio and I need to use audio interface software such as Jriver to interface to the audio library/database. Is that right?

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2019, 07:36 am »
No, it comes with a music server included (femtoServer). You control it with a DLNA controller. Probably easiest to read the doc here: http://jplay.eu/manual/#manual4

ttan98

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2019, 11:25 am »
No, it comes with a music server included (femtoServer). You control it with a DLNA controller. Probably easiest to read the doc here: http://jplay.eu/manual/#manual4
I installed the Jplayer I couldn't find the JplayeFemto under the Jplay program. I will get it another try on installing in another PC with windows 10.