Lee Ann Rimes????

Marbles

Lee Ann Rimes????
« on: 26 Jan 2005, 02:56 am »
I heard her on Kid Rock's Christmas special, harmonizing with the Kid, and she just blew him (and me) away with her singing.

Does she have any good CD's out?

Any that you guys could recomend?

Thanks

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2005, 02:57 am »
Do you like country?  She's pretty much a country singer, notwithstanding the odd duet with somone.

Marbles

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2005, 03:08 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Do you like country?  She's pretty much a country singer, notwithstanding the odd duet with somone.

I'm usually not into country, but if it's rockin' cuntry (spelled correctly  :wink:    
)  then I might like it.

jackman

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2005, 03:16 am »
rockin' cuntry

:) , I just broke into Beevis and Buthead.  My wife has her greatest hits CD and it's pretty good.  No doubt, she can really sing.  She's had that voice since she was a young girl on Starsearch.  Even though I'm not a country fan (unless you count Lucinda Williams, Bluegrass stuff like Alison Kraus, and some Emilou Harris-one of my favorite singers ever) but I like the way she sings.  I guess I like more country that I may have thought.  People like Willie Nelson, Danny Gatton (one of my favorite guitarists), Townes Van Zant, Whiskeytown, some Dolly Pardon...WTF??? I'm a regular Redneck!  

I feel like that Foxworthy guy who used to say "You might be a Redneck!".  Luckily I still have all my teeth!

Cheers Yall,

J

Eric

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2005, 03:21 am »
I also like her. She has quite a vocal range and her voice has matured alot. Let me recommend another country artist that really caught my attention. Her name is Julie Roberts. She has a bluesy sound that is wonderful.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2005, 03:22 am »
I love Alison Kraus, but I'm not much of a fan of straight-up country.  Newgrass is a whole nuther issue to me...Obviously I like stuff like Johnny Cash, but overall I'm not into the whole trangy thang.

Marbles

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2005, 03:25 am »
Quote from: Eric
I also like her. She has quite a vocal range and her voice has matured alot. Let me recommend another country artist that really caught my attention. Her name is Julie Roberts. She has a bluesy sound that is wonderful.

Thanks Eric, I'll check her out...er, I'll check out her music...

mattybumpkin

Lee Ann Rhimes and Julie Roberts
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2005, 03:42 am »
Lee Ann has an excellent voice (not to mention a killer bod).  I don't have any of her cd's though.

I do have the Julie Roberts CD and agree with the above poster.  I would also say it is more blues than country.  Great cd!

Regards,

"M"

Tonto Yoder

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2005, 05:13 am »
Looks like LeAnn will be on tomorrow's "Today" show--

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/

There are some music samples and videos on her official site

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2005, 10:02 am »
I'm usually not into country, but if it's rockin' cuntry (spelled correctly  
) then I might like it
Even though I'm not a country fan (unless you count Lucinda Williams, Bluegrass stuff like Alison Kraus, and some Emilou Harris-one of my favorite singers ever) but I like the way she sings.

Then let me put in a plug for Tift Merritt as well.  Her first (Bramble Rose) reminds me of Emmylou, but her second (Tambourine) is much 'livelier', as she says.

Do you Lee Ann fans have a clear favorite?

Tonto Yoder

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2005, 01:58 pm »
Quote from: jackman
.....even though I'm not a country fan (unless you count Lucinda Williams, Bluegrass stuff like Alison Kraus, and some Emilou Harris-one of my favorite singers ever) but I like the way she sings.  I guess I like more country that I may have thought.  People like Willie Nelson, Danny Gatton (one of my favorite guitarists ...

I grew up hating country music (and still dislike much of it), but surprise myself when I'm attracted to Lucinda Williams & Emmylou Harris, Whiskeytown and similar groups.   Another artist I love is Gillian Welch with her rootsy, Appalachian sort of approach (though she performs songs like Hendrix' "Manic Depression" in concert :) ). And Kathleen Edwards who often is compared to Lucinda.

Gillian's recent appearance on Prarie Home Companion is available online if anyone has interest in checking her out.

Tonto Yoder

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2005, 01:52 pm »
I'm basically ignorant of LeAnn's work, but I was in the used CD store yesterday and saw two copies of her "Blue" CD.  I believe this was her first CD (or at least an early one) that garnered considerable critical review.  I didn't take time to listen, but it was cheap enough (3.99) that I can pick it up if you'd like and maybe we could swap CD's??

nature boy

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2005, 05:02 pm »
Marbles,

I have her first CD "Blue".  Her vocal range is on the cover song is really quite incredible.  Every time I listen in my system I get goosebumps.

NB

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2005, 05:24 pm »
FYI.  She's scheduled for next Thursday's Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Ted

Randy

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #14 on: 1 Feb 2005, 04:59 am »
Guys, if you think you'd like a rockin, honky-tonk female country singer try Tanya Tucker.  Not sure if she's still around, but like Rimes, she got started in the biz when she was only 12 or 13 and went on to an great adult career often interrupted by alcoholic breakdowns that when she came back had added even more character to her already great voice.  For all I know now, however, she may be all through but her recordings are still out there.  Lea Ann Rimes can't hold a candle to her.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #15 on: 1 Feb 2005, 05:10 am »
But Rimes is waaaayyyy hotter to look at. :wink:

Randy

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2005, 05:24 am »
But Rimes is waaaayyyy hotter to look at. :wink:

25 years ago Tanya had her beat in that department as well.  All that booze and cigarette smoke has taken a toll, not to mention the years.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #17 on: 1 Feb 2005, 06:29 am »
I would have to disagree, there.  Tucker was never very good looking, IMO.  But what to I know- I think Alison Krauss is prettier than either.  And is a better singer than either, too. 8)

Randy

Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #18 on: 1 Feb 2005, 06:36 pm »
I would have to disagree, there.  Tucker was never very good looking, IMO.  But what to I know- I think Alison Krauss is prettier than either.  And is a better singer than either, too. 8)

I think Reba McIntyre has them all beat, if you like a "real" country style rather than someone with pop crossover tendencies.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lee Ann Rimes????
« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2005, 03:14 am »
I don't like "real" country, except for Johnny Cash.  Don't care for Reba's music, but she's reasonably cute. :)