Anyone into Techno/Trance here?

Scott F.

« Reply #60 on: 5 Sep 2004, 04:13 pm »
Quote from: dave_c
I second the Zero 7.  I don't have the new one, but Simple Things is a great CD.  More recommended downtempo stuff:

Fila Brazillia - Brazillification
Bonobo - Dial M for Monkey
Jon Kennedy - Take My Drum to England

Hi Dave,

You really need to sample When it Falls by Zero7. It's exponetially better than Simple Things (even though ST is extremely good too  :D

I'll go up to Amazon and sample the ones you mentioned. I have just recently discovered the 'downtempo' genre. If thats what I've been listening to, I love it.

:scratch:  Kinda strange. Trying to catagorize the 'new'(ish) genre's of music is really hard. So much of the downtempo, trance, techno, electronica and even house music sounds similar (catagory wise).

It was so much easier when you had jazz, R&R, country and classical.

dave_c

« Reply #61 on: 5 Sep 2004, 05:07 pm »
Well, its all about the technology.  I think there is a generation of musicians that has had samplers, synths, and computers to work with since they were born.  Things are going to start changing as they start to push the limits with these new toys.  

I'll check out the Zero 7 today.

PJ

« Reply #62 on: 6 Sep 2004, 05:03 am »
I downloaded and listened to Zero7 - When it falls. It's certainly laid back  :) . If you like that, try to get a hold of Air - Moon Safari, if you dont have it already. It's from 1999 and is the best album of that type I have heard.

But as you said, that stuff sure isn't what most people expect in a trance/techno orientated thread...

PJ

« Reply #63 on: 9 Sep 2004, 01:58 am »
Did anyone even download the song that I posted? Or should I delete it?

http://members.iinet.net.au/~margj/D - Deep Love (GPal's Unforgettable Mix).mp3

mcgsxr

« Reply #64 on: 9 Sep 2004, 03:29 am »
I just grabbed it and had a spin.  Nice, reminds me of good nights out...

Thanks for the ear candy!

Mark in Canada

viggen

« Reply #65 on: 9 Sep 2004, 06:05 pm »
I've been listening to electronica/techno/AciedHouse since Front 242/D-Mob days way back in late 80s.  I still have it all on LPs.  I can't say I heard of Sasha and Dagweed or was it Digweed.  And, my brief interlude with Paul Van Dyke was through his collaboration with St. Etienne which I thought Paul's talents wayyyy paled compared to SE.  I guess I really have a disliking for techno/trance after the rave scene became popular which was during the 90s.  The genre seemed to have thinned out for me.  Like PJ said, there's more duds.  They whole scene just turned me off.   Some electronica that I picked up in the recent years are Dining Room, Thievery Corp, Dzhizan and Kamien, and Fila Brazil.  Well, they are considered electronic lounge but what the hey.  Most of these I picked up on fromAmazon and the local public radio stations.

PJ

« Reply #66 on: 10 Sep 2004, 04:51 am »
Download that song I posted :). Whilst it's not the best electronic song ever produced it is simply good music and is a good example of what is currently out there.

Sasha & Digweed are considered by many (including myself) to the best in the world. They do not play lounge electronic music.

dave_c

« Reply #67 on: 10 Sep 2004, 06:43 am »
I just saw Digweed last friday.  Great night out!

Song is good, but I generally like a little funk in my music.   :mrgreen:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #68 on: 11 Sep 2004, 03:55 am »
klh,
    Did you receive the Tech-Trance sampler ? Sent it Priority Mail. ...Its moving down the line. :thumb: [/list:u]

klh

Just Got It!
« Reply #69 on: 11 Sep 2004, 06:23 am »
It came in the mail today :D . Unfortunately, I just got home and haven't listened to it yet. I'm not using my computer so I'll have to burn it tomorrow. Thanks for sending it priority. If anyone else wants a copy, PM me your address and I'll get it out to you.

Krister

Mag

« Reply #70 on: 14 Sep 2004, 03:53 pm »
Just a reminder to those who have access to Canadian Satalitte. CBC Galaxy continuous music has a very good Ambiet channel. 905 on Bell, where you can hear some very cool music tunes along with the artists name and the cd.

mcgsxr

« Reply #71 on: 14 Sep 2004, 04:47 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, and thanks again for the cd - it is making the rounds to my "non-'Circle" friends also...

mark

Mag

« Reply #72 on: 14 Sep 2004, 05:13 pm »
You can also go to their website where they list the songs that are currently playing on all the channels and the top 10 songs of the month for each catagory. Check it out Galaxie.ca

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #73 on: 14 Oct 2004, 02:52 pm »
Quote from: Scott F.
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd throw in a few choices too. These aren't necessarily Trance or Techno but they sort of fit into Chill Out, Downtempo or Acid Jazz (I think). I still haven't figured out how they catagorize some of the new(er) music.

Over the past few weeks I went on a music buying spree at Amazon. I came up with some really good stuff.
Weekend Players - Pursuit of Happiness

Scott,
    I've been enjoying the WP cd all week....excellent pick, thanks !!! :D [/list:u]

mred

Electronics/Trance et.al.
« Reply #74 on: 10 Dec 2004, 11:40 pm »
Following this thread ,I just discovered johndigweed.com and am digging it. Can anyone suggest other similar sites where you can listen to complete songs(?) like this. I'm smitten and would like to explore more of these types of music. THANKS!

mred

Electronics/Trance et.al.
« Reply #75 on: 10 Dec 2004, 11:41 pm »
Following this thread ,I just discovered johndigweed.com and am digging it. Can anyone suggest other similar sites where you can listen to complete songs(?) like this. I'm smitten and would like to explore more of these types of music. THANKS!

PJ

« Reply #76 on: 11 Dec 2004, 03:25 am »
johndigweed.com is one of my favourite sites. I just wish he would make it so I can pause, ff, etc the shows. On the old site you could.

A decent amount of my vinyl is bought after hearing something on his shows.

Unfortunately nothing I have found comes close. Digweed is the only DJ that I like who posts all of his stuff on his webpage. Let me know if you find something!

mizzuno

try this
« Reply #77 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:07 am »
The thrillseekers- Synaesthesia(en motion remix)

or this cd

Ibiza Euphoria mixed by Matt Darey

ss397

« Reply #78 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:29 am »
would like to share some albums i've been enjoying:

ultra dance 06 vic latino and the riddler, 2 cd compilation of great dance music

a trip in trance 3 , 2 cd's 2 dj's intense trance

delerium(artist) kharma, poem, chimera(cd titles).  absolutely top notch electronic music more musical, has harmonies melodies great vocals . the songs get in your head and replay themselves

PJ

« Reply #79 on: 17 Feb 2005, 02:38 am »
If you want an essentially unlimited supply of top-notch music go to www.freshlymixed.com.

It costs a couple of dollars a month to have access to the best, most current stuff out there, which you can download. All John Digweed's shows (of which 50% are guest DJ's). I have downloaded gig's of mp3's and have only listened to a fraction of them.

John Digweed is a progressive DJ, not trance. IMO, prog offers all the best aspects of trance, and eliminates the annoying, cheesy aspects found in modern (after 2000) trance.