Anyone into Techno/Trance here?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jul 2004, 10:18 pm »
Yeah, add me, too!  I'm always up for something new.

klh

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jul 2004, 10:51 pm »
Count me in, too. I like techno/trance but don't know a lot about it. I lived in Miami for six months and listened to Party 93.1 almost everyday.

Krister

Woodsea

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jul 2004, 11:04 pm »
Hey, I would like a copy as well.

dave_c

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2004, 11:41 pm »
I’ve been listening to a lot of electronic music in recent years.  Lots of it listening has been done in the clubs which is a different experience altogether.  Chrstof’s comment about Jazz hit the nail on the head.  There are so many types of electronic music that its hard to call all of it techno or trance.  In any case, I’m going to assume we’re talking about electronic music in general.

There are a lot of songs out there; singles that don’t belong to albums.  Generally these singles get exposure when they are put into a “mix” by the DJ.  The DJ Mix evolved into another form over the past 10 – 20 years.  DJ’s were almost always more famous than artists in the electronic scene, but I think things are changing.  Especially since songs and licensing have extended into Video Games, commercials, TV and movies and Club attendance is diminishing.

Check out these mixes:

Sasha – Global Underground 03 San Francisco:  This might be my favorite mix of all time.  Most of the songs don’t follow formulaic structures and use lots of layering.  Sasha’s mixing also keeps the mix moving and evolving.  Check out some of the reviews on Amazon.  They’re all true.

Doc Martin – Sounds You Can Feel:  More of a Jazzy, Funky, Soul tip that dips into a little dark dub too.  This is very different from the less funky structure of Sasha, but still driving and fun to listen too.  Also, the sounds are more organic including vocals and less over the top synths going on.

DJ Icey – Essential Mix:  Driving breakbeats by the top US breakbeat DJ.  If you ever need something to keep you going while your on a caffeine high, this is it.  Breakbeats aren’t the normal 4/4 beat, the drum beats are broken up and basslines are more funky.

Albums:

Mr. Scruff – Trouser Jazz:  More like electronic Jazz in some respects.  Very well produced album with fun songs that you can listen to and appreciate rather than use as background noise.

Metro Area – Metro Area:  Kind of like minimal elctro disco.  Funky and synthy.

Autechre – Incunabula:  Less dancy and more intelligent techno.  Excellent production value as well as performance.

Sorry this was so long winded, but sometimes I feel that there is so much out there that people can and would appreciate if they knew what to look for.  Almost everything I mentioned sounds different from each other.  Just try and see what you like.  For each one of these artists, there are many others who are doing the same thing.

Mag

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2004, 01:57 am »
Don't apoligize for the long wind. Its good to have a younger persons perspective on the subject. I am not familiar with most of the names you mentioned.
 I've been listening to electronic music since 1980. Names like Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre, Kraftwerk, Gary Numan, Vangelis , Yanni, Mike Oldfield and David Akenstone. This disc will be a reflection of their influence on me and perhaps outdated for you youngens.
   My taste has evolved over the years from anolog synth to traditional instruments like french horn, kettle drums,taiko drums, bagpipes etc. My favorite artists now are David Arkenstone and Kitaro, which are not represented on this disc.
  If the consensus is positive I would consider doing another one on New Age .
 A better idea however would be for one of you younger guys to burn another techno,electronic mix that is more up with the times.

Mag

dave_c

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2004, 04:42 pm »
Thanks Mag!  Electronic music has come a long way.  Its interesting to see the evolution of artists and technology.  From analog synths, to samplers, to home production. . .I think more and more people have access to enough equipment to make music.

Just thought of some other songs you might want to look for:

Hybrid - Visible Noise: Track off of their Morning Sci-Fi (great album) release.  This track is incredible.  Look for it.  Lots of layers and great drive.

Every Little Thing - Deatta Korou You Ni (Hybrid Remix)  Well I really like Hybrid as you can guess.  But I'm a J-Pop fan as well.  Even if you don't understand the words, the production and emotion in this track are worth finding.  

Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness:  A classic Acid Track that squeaks and squeals but keeps you going.  Sometimes you sit back and wonder, "what the hell is making that noise, and why do I like it?!?"

You should be able to find these tracks pretty easily (except maybe the Every Little Thing track).  

Oh yeah. . .these songs all suck if there isn't a lot of bass.  If your system doesn't have solid bass kick, listen through headphones.  It isn't low bass like pipe organs, but theres always ongoing electronic basslines that can go as low as they feel like programming.  Usually there's a lot of compression too so it will sound like the Loudness button is on.

klh

« Reply #26 on: 1 Aug 2004, 08:12 am »
I have a logistics question. How do we know who gets the sampler from whom? Is there an order to this?

ASi_TEK

• NO LIMITS!!!
    • www.asi-tek.com
« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2004, 08:18 am »
I am getting the sampler from mag. I'll let you know when  I get it and see what he has in his version.

I just really listened tonight to DJ Tiesto Just Be (new cd) and after listening to it a couple times its very nice.

You wouldn't beleive the energy and holographic imaging this music has in it.

Mag

« Reply #28 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:00 am »
Picked up Sasha-Involver today on the recommendations of this forum. And I like it!  This is what I call trip music (don't know the technical name) and is similar to some tracks I put on the sampler cd. Track 10 stops playing several times on playback on my dvd player and  twice on my comp. $20 for  a defective cd, and they wonder why people are downloading music for free.
  Asi_tek should have the cd sampler by now unless it is being delayed by customs.
   Mag

R_burke

Almost anything on Global Underground(GU)
« Reply #29 on: 5 Aug 2004, 02:23 am »
Right now I'm listening to Dave Seaman.  Sasha and Digweed both have some stuff on GU.

If you haven't heard Bill Laswell's Divine Light it's a must, I also really like his Tabla Beat Science recordings.

In a similiary vein is Delirium and Synaeshesia, a little more ambient but still trancelike.

If you want to go back even farther try Larry Fast (Synergy)

Rwb

Mag

« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2004, 12:30 am »
We'll we haven't heard from Asi_Tek on the Techno sampler cd. Should have received it by know. Anyways I will send out one more copy to Rob Babcock since he is the closest to me. Get this thing over the border and get the ball rolling. So Rob PM me with your address and I try to get it in the mail   tomorrow.
 Thanx

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 10 Aug 2004, 12:31 am »
Cool.  PM is away.  If want me to send it on, just let me know.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #32 on: 18 Aug 2004, 05:50 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Cool.  PM is away.  If want me to send it on, just let me know.
Hey Rob,
    Did you receive the Techno Sampler ?? :) [/list:u]

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 18 Aug 2004, 07:14 am »
Not as of yet.  I'll certainly get the next addy when I do.

mcgsxr

« Reply #34 on: 18 Aug 2004, 01:33 pm »
I am in line to receive one directly from Mag also, he mailed it on Saturday to me, since we are both in Canada.  When it arrives here, I will be pleased to spin a copy up, and send it on also, so perhaps with starting at two ends, we can distribute this quickly to those interested.

Mark

mcgsxr

« Reply #35 on: 19 Aug 2004, 05:48 pm »
I have the sampler, fresh from the envelope - anyone in the northeast of the States like it?

It is in MP3 format, and includes these tracks.

Circles- Techno, Electronic Mix

1.Double Drum- Peace Orchestra
2. A Midnight Clear- Redshift II, Ether
3. Beyond the Event- Redshift II, Ether
4. Bombers of the Desert- Redshift II, Ether
5. Nightmare (mix II)- Brainbug
6.Bridge in Cold Tears- Tangerine Dream, Tang Go
7.Ca-Va-Ca Marche-Ca Ira Encore- Tangerine Dream, Tang Go
8. Cars (remix)- Gary Numan
9. Cassiopieia's Dream- Uncertainty Princeple, Ian Boddy
10.Chromazone- Uncertainty Principle, Ian Boddy
11. Ether- Redshift II, Ether
12. Far Above the Clouds- Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells III
13. Anthem- Gus Gus, T-World
14. Interstellar Interlude I- Uncertainty Principle, Ian Boddy
15.Interstellar Interlude II- Uncertainty Principle, Ian Boddy
16.C'est La Vie- Jean Michel Jarre, Metamorpheous
17. Tout Est Bleu- Jean Michel Jarre, Metamorpheous
18. Give Me a Sign- Jean Michel Jarre, Metamorpheous
19. Little Blonde in the Park- Tangerine Dream, Tang Go
20. March to the Rythym- Radikal Techno
21.Mayday- Radikal Techno
22. Move Your Body- Radikal Techno
23. Nervous Zone- Radikal Techno
24.Get Out- Paul Oakenford & Amoebassassin
25. Techno Energy- Paul Van Dyke
26. Popcorn- Kraftwerk
27. Night Out- Royskopp Eple
28. Ruckzuck- Kraftwerk
29. Space Cadet- Uncertainty Principle, Ian Boddy
30. Static- Uncertainty Principle, Ian Boddy
31. Supernova- Uncertainty Principle, Ian Boddy
32. Poland (remix)- Tangerine Dream
33.AlphaBreed- Jean Michel Jarre meets Kraftwerk
34. Tunnel Trance Firewalk- Paul Oakenford
35. The Orb- Tangerine Dream
36,37,38. The Uncertainty Principle I,II,III- Ian Boddy
39.Times Arrow- Uncertainty Principle, Ian Boddy
40. Times End- Uncertainty Principle, Ian Boddy
41. Trans Europe Express- Kraftwerk
42. Trip to Trumton- Urban Hype
43. Virtual Journey- Uncertainty Principle, Ian Boddy
44. Sandstorm (remix)- Darude
45. Jetlag- DJKim
46. Hide U- Kosheen

Mark

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #36 on: 19 Aug 2004, 06:39 pm »
Just got the sampler today.  I'll pop it in at some point, but right now my only break from the Olympics is for bodily functions & an occasional stretch. :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #37 on: 19 Aug 2004, 08:01 pm »
I rapidly moved through it, and converted about 75% of it into 3 .WAV cd's for use in my audio system - I don't use the DVD player in that much, so I cannot use the MP3 files.

It comes as no surprise to me, that I vastly prefer the Trance to the Techno, but there are a couple of highlights, even in that genre for me.

Thanks MAG for your hard work, and $$ spent...

Mark

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 21 Aug 2004, 04:48 pm »
I've only got 1/2 way thru it so far (due to the Olympics)- some of it I really like and some doens't do much for me.  So, is it trance or techno?  Since I've never really listened to much of either I don't know the defining characteristics of either.

Who's next on the list?  I can copy it and send it along to the next guy.

mcgsxr

« Reply #39 on: 21 Aug 2004, 05:47 pm »
Rob, I will venture a guess that the faster music, with the driving bass, is Techno.  The slower, more ambient stuff, is trance.  I have listened to both, but prefer the trance.

I, too, am willing to copy this and pass it on, should anyone still want it.

Mark