Sound Quality of streaming

mitch stl

Re: Sound Quality of streaming
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jun 2019, 11:45 pm »
dB, thanks for the Primephonic and Idagio suggestions. I did consider them but do listen to more than just classical. I appreciate that the catalog search functions are probably better for these two dedicated services, but I'm really not having any issues with Qobuz -- I'm not that obsessive in terms of searching out endless options of different performances of the same work. (I know that poor streaming metadata bugs a lot of classical listeners and I suspect that all of the services will be improving in this area as time passes.)

Finally, the small extra cost of Qobuz for the extra music in other genres is worth it to me.

witchdoctor

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2019, 03:01 pm »
Been looking into streaming options lately, and have to say that I'm not all that impressed with the sound quality from the various services.  The sound from the disc spinners (optical media) seems to be better quality than what's available from the services.  I also think the HD streaming services are not worth it, since the VAST majority of music available is not sourced from HD media to begin with.

Looking for feedback on this.  At first I thought it could be a jitter issue, but I ruled that out.  I switched from a McIntosh input to Devialet, and the sound improved markedly, but still not as good as optical (in general).  I have come across some exceptions, which makes me think it's the source material.

Get a Klipsch Gate for $30 on Amazon and you will love it!!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2019, 06:18 pm »
IME Qobuz sounds better than Tidal.  You need a good streamer and DAC, but very good sound is possible.  Not as good as a dedicated music server, but relatively close.

Agree 100%. Close to server but no Cigar. For me close only counts in Golf, bowling and Darts.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

charles

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2019, 01:13 am »
For any digital playback, the thing that will make the biggest difference in your system is the DAC, streaming or not.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #24 on: 16 Aug 2019, 10:52 am »
Tidal in my system sounds just as good as my own FLAC files streamed from a Synology NAS. I'm using an Allo Digione Pi player and a heavily modified MHDT Pagoda DAC.

Shakey

RandyH

« Reply #25 on: 16 Aug 2019, 12:42 pm »
I was a skeptic about the sound quality of Tidal and Qobuz streaming vs. CD and/or playing FLAC files from a NAS device.  I still have the capability to access music from all of these sources and spent some time initially comparing the sound quality from various sources.  These comparisons were tedious exercises that seldom revealed any clear cut "winner".  In my personal experience I have not experienced any difference in sound quality between the various sources. The access to a vast library of music via the streaming services, in CD and hi-res quality, has transformed my listening habits and has greatly expanded my music selections.  I still have my CDs, FLAC files, and LPs and have no plans to give them up but I must say the sound quality of Tidal and Qobuz is impressive.  As a previous poster mentioned, I think the quality of the DAC and/or streamer is a significant factor. I am using a Lumin T-1 streamer/DAC.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #26 on: 19 Aug 2019, 02:13 am »
Amazon will be upgrading there streaming services  this fall, I believe. That is what I am waiting for.

Glad you shared this as I'd not heard of it.  I've tried many of the streaming services... Apple Music, Spotify, Napster, Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon Music... probably others I can't think of.  I currently have Tidal and access to Amazon Music via Prime Membership.  I was paying $7.99/mo for the Unlimited Amazon Music, but the lack of higher resolution was a problem.  There's one thing about Amazon Music... their Curated Playlists.  Their Curated Playlists are the best of any vendor, including Apple Music.  Anything you can think of, do a search, and there is very likely a playlist from Amazon "Curated by Amazon's Music Experts".  I've thought to myself that if Amazon offered CD quality streaming it would be the perfect mix of what's available from these services.  Plus, their app is better than Tidal in another way... it allows you to view "My Music" by Genre.  A small, but HUGE, thing.  Let's say I want to listen to all of the Jazz stuff I've set aside.  Can't do it in Tidal unless I created a Playlist for that.