Transcendence Three Fet-Valve CD Player

jswallac

« on: 4 Jan 2005, 12:50 am »
I noticed this CDP over on Ebay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3864677026&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Anybody know this player?  I believe it is from the late 80's.  I am intrigued by the separate tube analog output stage and the adjustable volume control.  It certainly looks interesting, but I have no idea how good it is compared to current CDPs, or what it is worth.

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2005, 12:53 pm »
This was a very good CD player in its day but its day was many years ago.  The Magnavox CDB610 CD player had two new solid state AVA current to voltage amplifiers installed internally, along with their power supply and the first stages of the analog filters. The external box contains two hybrid vacuum tube final analog filters and output circuits (not room to fit it all inside the chassis) and their power supply. The external box is only appropriate for this particular design.

The weak spot in the unit now is that Philips Magnavox no longer supplies repair parts for the basic 610 CD player.  CD players in general are now considered throwaway items, not units to repair.  The top bearing plate, a 25 cent easy to replace nylon part that is the most likely wear item is no longer available, and when it dimples from the pressure of the steel ball bearing riding on it, CDs will no longer track properly, especially the first (inside) tracks where the disk is spinning the fastest.

Can you expect great sound from this unit? Yes you can, but only if it is still working properly mechanically.  Understand that when it fails mechanically, it too will unfortunately be a throw away unit now days.

We pride outselves in being able to keep anything we have ever built running reliably and economically, but with this unit we are at the mercy of a big corporation's decision to discontine parts service - - - one reason we no long work on products that require custom one-off repair parts that we cannot be assured of sourcing in the future.

All new AVA products are built with very high quality OEM parts and given the exellent reliability and fault tolerance of our products, we expect many years of useful service.

With the old Magnavox based CD players we reworked, we are sad that we cannot expect that same level of future performance any more.

Frank Van Alstine

Flatlander

Don't throw that Fet-Valve CD Player out yet!
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2005, 06:13 pm »
I've got a Fet-Valve CD Player that started mistracking about a year ago. I called Frank and got the bad news about the irreplaceable Philips part. So took the little plastic dingus out and sanded down the dimpled area. It works fine now. For how long? Who knows?

TomBo

Re: Transcendence Three Fet-Valve CD Player
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2010, 07:45 pm »
I purchased this CD player from Frank in late 80's. I had to replace the bearing plate once. Now it looks like I need to do it again. (Note: I believe I replaced the bearing plate the first time in '98 so it now being '10, that's only once every decade per my listening habits). So, not wanting to give up, I filled in the dimple with a tiny blob of glass epoxy and sanded smooth. Time will tell if this will get me anywhere near 10 more years...although my ears will probably give out before any of Frank's gear...
If anyone is still out there with the Magnavox based Fet-Valve CD Player, are there any creative solutions to get around the dimpled top bearing plate issue? 

rcag_ils

Re: Transcendence Three Fet-Valve CD Player
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2010, 03:43 pm »
If you can post a picture to show what the washer looks like, I know this guy at work he's very good at coming up with idea for general repair, especially for something simple like this.