Panny XR-45 owners

awm

Panny XR-45 owners
« on: 30 Nov 2003, 08:33 am »
First post here, and I'd appreciate your help.  Just got this receiver and have a question re watching dvd's w/ 6 channel encoding.  Does the panasonic automatically play a default setting?  I ask because a dvd I played was labelled one of the dts encodings (maybe dts-es), which the receiver can process, yet the indicator light on the receiver for this encoding did not light up.  If it doesn't automatically select for it, based on the signal from the DVD player, how do I set it?  If it's automatic, how do I know what's it's selected for?  

Thanks very much,
Andy

HarleyMYK

Panny XR-45 owners
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2003, 05:47 pm »
Generally, DVDs will default to Dolby Digital.  You need to go to Setup or Audio Setup or Language and select dts from the DVD's menu.  You can't just press Play on the main menu for the movie and get dts.  Often there is a "Are You Sure" screen, since non-dts processors will not handle it.  This is a setting for the movie, not the receiver.

Maybe you already did this.  If so, sorry for the worthless post.

PS. Some movies (e.g. Yellow Submarine, The Last Waltz) are processed for Cinema with dts, and have the dts logo, but the DVDs are not released with a dts option.

awm

Panny XR-45 owners
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2003, 08:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  It does answer some of the question.  I did actually access another DVD's set-up option and selected DD 5.1 EX.  The Panny then registered "NEO:6".  Does this make sense?  Guess I need to find out more about NEO6...

Thanks again,
andy

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Panny XR-45 owners
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2003, 09:54 pm »
NEO:6 is a DTS format that adds a 6th channel for a 5-channel source, usually triggered when you have 6 channels connected.

See the Starting Block http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=6374

awm

Panny XR-45 owners
« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2003, 12:27 am »
Excellent!  Thanks for clearing that up.  Guess it's working as well as it sounds.  

Andy