Any pictures of speakers in the Eco Black Tweed finish?

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I am in conversations right now with Louis on eventually building me a version of an RS5 dual driver speaker and am interested in seeing different finishes. I love the wood finishes, they are beautiful but wouldn't really go with my modern black decor I have going on in my living room. I was also wondering if there is maybe a dark grey tweed finish? 

seikosha

Re: Any pictures of speakers in the Eco Black Tweed finish?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2016, 08:26 pm »
In case you didn't see it, here's the graphite tweed.  I have this finish on my SAM's.  It's a very textural finish and probably is a little more grey than it shows in the picture.

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/omegaalnicomoni1.html

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2016, 08:40 pm »
In case you didn't see it, here's the graphite tweed.  I have this finish on my SAM's.  It's a very textural finish and probably is a little more grey than it shows in the picture.

http://omegaloudspeakers.com/omegaalnicomoni1.html

That picture is really hard to tell what it looks like, it looks like the picture is in black and white. Do you have pictures of yours posted anywhere? And the Graphite tweed finish with a black tweed front finish might look pretty sweet.   

seikosha

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2016, 09:22 pm »
That picture is really hard to tell what it looks like, it looks like the picture is in black and white. Do you have pictures of yours posted anywhere? And the Graphite tweed finish with a black tweed front finish might look pretty sweet.

Here's a shot:

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2016, 05:08 pm »
Seikosha,

You got new speakers?!?!?! VERY NICE! I like a lot! What are they? What did you do with your 3XRS's?

seikosha

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2016, 05:29 pm »
Those are the Super Alnico Monitors that I bought earlier this year in spring.  I still have the Super 3xrs's as I can't bring myself to sell them.  In fact, I had them hooked up in the system a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed them quite a bit.  That RS5 driver is a wonder.  I know Louis looked into doing an Alnico version of it in the past, but abandoned the project.  I think if he ever did produce an Alnico version, it might turn out to be my favorite driver.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2016, 05:38 pm »
Yeah the RS5 driver is simply amazing. I haven't heard any of the other drivers though so I can't compare. How do you like your Super Alnico's compared to the 3XRS?

seikosha

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2016, 06:15 pm »
You hear the term "texture" thrown around here when people talk about the Alnico driver and I think that's just a great description.  Compared to the RS5 (and any conventional speaker I've had in my room), the Alnico has the ability to convey more information on just about every note that comes out of the speaker.  It also goes lower, and can play louder without sounding pushed.

On the negative side, for me, the Alnico has a very narrow range in the upper treble where it's brighter than the RS5.  You can affect it quite a bit by adjusting the driver position (both vertically and horizontally) in relation to the listening position.  I wouldn't be surprised if the RS5 measured flatter in the higher frequencies on axis.  You don't hear it very often, but when you do, it stands out because the Alnico is so refined and smooth.  Is it the speaker or the recording...I don't know.  Of course the RS5 has that speed that it's known for.  There's a "snap" to the RS5 that you don't quite get with the Alnico.  It might be simply due to the fact that the Alnico's lower response makes the speaker sound a little heavier and slower.

I love both speakers and if one was taken away and I was forced to live with the other, I'd have no problem with that.  I definitely prefer the Alnicos, but the RS5 is a worthy competitor.  I have a small listening room and I'd bet in a bigger room, I'd prefer the Alnicos by a wider margin.

Last thoughts....for me the Alnico is less suspect to amplifier variations.  I must have at least 5 or 6 amps laying around here and I throw them all in from time to time.  With the RS5, I really only love it with tube amps.  With any solid state I've thrown in, it just loses some magic.  While I prefer tubes on the Alnico as well, it handles solid state better for me than the RS5.

Hope that helps.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2016, 06:35 pm »
Those are all great explanations. Thanks! I love my Omega 3XRS's and I have the built in active 8inch sub that gives me a lot of the lower end stuff with the speed of the RS5 driver. I am talking to Louis on doing 2 RS5 drivers and possibly 2 active 8inch subs. I am deciding if I want the 2 drivers on the front baffle or one on the front and one on the top. And that tweed finish would match my decor perfect. I sent you a pm with another dilemma I am having. It has to do with adding an AVR to my system. I think it could work though. Let me know your thoughts on it.