Anyone here run PC Audio Sprout w your Omegas?

Ultralight

Anyone here run PC Audio Sprout w your Omegas?
« on: 5 Nov 2015, 06:50 am »
Love to hear your comments.

Got to thinking.

Sprout - $499
Omega Super 3i - $595

Sprout has slightly accentuated bass which could work well with Omega 3i.

Just thinking out loud for a low cost system that ought to still be extremely musical, resolving, and fast.  And it has analog out for subwoofer too if one wants to later.

UL

Poultrygeist

Re: Anyone here run PC Audio Sprout w your Omegas?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2015, 11:31 am »
No but I'd bet the Omega's would absolutely shine driven by an inexpensive TPA3116 ( $10 + $35 regulated power supply-lower right ) and tube preamp ( $260 from Nobsound ).

I use this combination with my Fostex single driver Tektons and you'd have to hear it to believe it.

Best SQ I've heard from all but the high end SET amps.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2015, 04:01 pm »
Love to hear your comments.

Got to thinking.

Sprout - $499
Omega Super 3i - $595

Sprout has slightly accentuated bass which could work well with Omega 3i.

Just thinking out loud for a low cost system that ought to still be extremely musical, resolving, and fast.  And it has analog out for subwoofer too if one wants to later.

UL

One of my customers has the Sprout/3i combo and is very happy with it.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2015, 04:43 pm »
No but I'd bet the Omega's would absolutely shine driven by an inexpensive TPA3116 ( $10 + $35 regulated power supply-lower right ) and tube preamp ( $260 from Nobsound ).

I use this combination with my Fostex single driver Tektons and you'd have to hear it to believe it.

Best SQ I've heard from all but the high end SET amps.

I second that. Thanks to your TPA 3116 and the Fleawatt suggestion.  :D

I honestly can't believe how good the TPA sounds feeding it a signal from my PS3 analog outs to the TPA then on to some Klipsch RF15's. Most normal people would be completely happy.

But that is all about to change when I move next month. I will have my custom Omega 3XRS's with a Schiit Uber Modi 2 and Denon 955 SACD/DVD-AUDIO CDP. All with new interconnects. Should make me never want to leave my house.  :D   

I am glad you replied to this though because I was going to ask for your help in pointing me in the right direction for a power supply. Can you give me a link?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2015, 09:50 am »
Here's the power supply I'm using in the picture with the new dual chip TPA3116. The dual chip is my favorite of all six of the TPA's I own.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS3KX-3-Amp-12-Volt-Supply/dp/B0002JTD2K

Poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2015, 10:03 am »
I also really like this linear regulated Astron low profile model which I use with a second dual chip TPA.

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/asr-sl-15r

sonicboom

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2015, 06:33 pm »
Here's the power supply I'm using in the picture with the new dual chip TPA3116. The dual chip is my favorite of all six of the TPA's I own.

Thank you for the links. I've just started getting acquainted with the TPA boards - in no small part due to your enthusiastic comments about them here and elsewhere and so I would appreciate it if you good provide a link of the vendor and/or your discussion in any of the forums about the dual chip version that you mentioned here.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2015, 07:46 pm »

Thanks for the link. When I move next month, I want to set everything up right the first time. So would I buy something like this to hook it up to the amp?

http://www.amazon.com/1-3mm-3-5mm-11-2mm-Plug-feet/dp/B000LFRT8K/ref=pd_sim_422_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41x7ITbnHsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=12BY6AHAZC758W4XT9E1

Poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2015, 10:47 am »
Thank you for the links. I've just started getting acquainted with the TPA boards - in no small part due to your enthusiastic comments about them here and elsewhere and so I would appreciate it if you good provide a link of the vendor and/or your discussion in any of the forums about the dual chip version that you mentioned here.

All the dual chip TPA3116's look much the same and the two I have from different vendors are of equal quality and performance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-100W-TPA3116-D2-Dual-Channel-Digital-Audio-Amplifier-Board-12V-24V-for-Arduino-/161836109853?hash=item25ae2f101d:g:c2YAAOSwiLdWA2VL

Poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2015, 10:55 am »
Thanks for the link. When I move next month, I want to set everything up right the first time. So would I buy something like this to hook it up to the amp?

http://www.amazon.com/1-3mm-3-5mm-11-2mm-Plug-feet/dp/B000LFRT8K/ref=pd_sim_422_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41x7ITbnHsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=12BY6AHAZC758W4XT9E1

If it's the correct barrel size for your board's power input it should work. There are other options on eBay that feature a barrel connector with screw downs that allow using your own wire.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: 7 Nov 2015, 11:08 am »
Here's my latest TPA3116 dual chip velcro'ed to the top of an Astron PSU.

I connect the TPA3116 to the Astron terminals with two power wires.

I can only shake my head in disbelief at the sound.

Ultralight

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:29 am »
Poultergeist, HifiJeff & All,

THANKS for all your comments. I'm not familiar with all these amp board. TPA etc.  The prices are AMAZINGLY low cost.  And yet you guys are raving about it.  You think it will be on par with the likes of Sprout or D3020 all in one units that run $400-500?   

At these prices, it is virtually a no brainer to try a bunch of different boards if one had the time. (I don't - but I'm interested to find a low cost solution for my son if I can.)

Thanks!
UL

Poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2015, 10:30 am »
I think the cheaper than yesterday's lunch TPA3116 would go toe to toe with the Sprout which is also a chip amp. Add a better power supply and the TPA3116 will go to an even higher level. Pair it with an inexpensive Chinese tube preamp and you'll have high end sound on a dime. I can see this combination as a final destination for all but the most jaded audiophiles.

If you don't want the trouble of placing the plug and play board in a case then there are several finished amp options. The SMSL can be had for around $50 on Amazon. I like the Yuan Jing Audio completed model but it's getting pricey at well over $100 shipped.

You can also google Fleawatt who builds custom TPA3116's. Some of his are works of art. He built the highly regarded Pass Amp Camp mono blocks but says he prefers the sound of the TPA3116. I've heard both and would agree.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2015, 10:42 am »
Here's a cheap naked board chip amp driving some not so cheap Aerial Acoustic speakers.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov 2015, 04:10 pm »
Here's a cheap naked board chip amp driving some not so cheap Aerial Acoustic speakers.

The OP is asking about a suitable amp for his Omegas.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov 2015, 04:38 pm »
Poultergeist, HifiJeff & All,

THANKS for all your comments. I'm not familiar with all these amp board. TPA etc.  The prices are AMAZINGLY low cost.  And yet you guys are raving about it.  You think it will be on par with the likes of Sprout or D3020 all in one units that run $400-500?   

At these prices, it is virtually a no brainer to try a bunch of different boards if one had the time. (I don't - but I'm interested to find a low cost solution for my son if I can.)

Thanks!

I like my TPA 3116 more than the D3020. Actually a lot more. I got to demo the D3020 in my house for two weeks and really didn't care for it. Never heard the Sprout.

I just ordered the Schiit Audio Modi 2 Uber DAC yesterday to pair with my Fleawatt TPA-3116. So with the Fleawatt costing me $200 and the Modi 2 dac at $149, total is only $349. I think it will blow away anything out there near that price.   
UL

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #16 on: 9 Nov 2015, 04:56 pm »
I think the cheaper than yesterday's lunch TPA3116 would go toe to toe with the Sprout which is also a chip amp. Add a better power supply and the TPA3116 will go to an even higher level. Pair it with an inexpensive Chinese tube preamp and you'll have high end sound on a dime. I can see this combination as a final destination for all but the most jaded audiophiles.

If you don't want the trouble of placing the plug and play board in a case then there are several finished amp options. The SMSL can be had for around $50 on Amazon. I like the Yuan Jing Audio completed model but it's getting pricey at well over $100 shipped.

You can also google Fleawatt who builds custom TPA3116's. Some of his are works of art. He built the highly regarded Pass Amp Camp mono blocks but says he prefers the sound of the TPA3116. I've heard both and would agree.

I can attest to that. Not only are they a work of art cosmetically but sonically as well. Derek went into depth about what you are paying for when you buy one of his modified TPA-3116 amps and there is a lot of quality  and peace of mind that you are paying for.

Here is a picture of mine.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: 9 Nov 2015, 08:59 pm »
The OP is asking about a suitable amp for his Omegas.

So I take it you don't think chip amps are suitable for the Omegas?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 9 Nov 2015, 10:43 pm »
So I take it you don't think chip amps are suitable for the Omegas?

You totally misunderstood my post.  I love chip amps with Omegas - incredible match.  I was converted to Omega over 6 years ago on a chip amp.  As I write this I'm listening to a TPA3116 on my Super 3U's.  Talk about dynamics!  My post was about the speakers you're showing with your TPA3116.  They are not Omega, and have no connection with what we do on this thread, not to mention the fact your speakers are a competitor's product.  If you have Omegas, bring your amps on with those.  That's what we want to see.   :thumb:

Ultralight

« Reply #19 on: 9 Nov 2015, 11:32 pm »
This is an absolutely fascinating read!  Now I'm thinking of possibly setting up two systems in two room instead of one if I can indeed get a beautiful sounding amp for a song....:)

Knowing next to nothing about TPA3116, I googled Amazon and there are a bunch with reviews all over the map.   

If I wanted to try one, any recommendation on what I would get on Amazon?   And what tube preamp if any?   

Thanks!
Ul
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2015, 01:35 am by Ultralight »