Using a universal remote with DAC10?

joegator81

Using a universal remote with DAC10?
« on: 25 Aug 2018, 12:37 am »
I love my Dac10, sound quality is top notch. The remote however has been a headache from day one. Basically, the slightest bump would dislodge the batteries and you'd have to go through the whole tedious process of replacing them. The remote finally stopped worked altogether. No severed connections, nothing to indicate the cause, just dead. Nuprime got back to me very quickly and stated I have two options: but another dac remote for $116 or try a universal remote. I'd much rather go with any other remote if possible. Has anybody used a different remote than the original dac remote with any success?

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: Using a universal remote with DAC10?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2018, 02:45 am »
Please keep us informed if you have any success.  As a DAC10 owner, this may be my situation further down the road.

The fact that the remote replacement costs almost as much as a uDSD and more that the WR-100 is utterly absurd!

Good luck,
Rafa.

joegator81

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2018, 04:45 am »
I will certainly keep you posted. I tolerated the remote as simply nuisance that must be tolerated but spending an additional $116 for something that is a pain in the butt and prone to failure is not something I want to do at all. This is the first remote I've ever had fail on me and it's easily the most expensive.

joegator81

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2018, 04:46 am »
Here's the link to purchase the remote if there was any question as to the cost.

https://nuoem.com/product-category/out-of-warranty-parts/nuprime-audio-out-of-warranty-parts/

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2018, 06:58 am »
I will get all the remote codes and publish them on the website product page.

joegator81

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2018, 12:25 pm »
I will get all the remote codes and publish them on the website product page.

That's a great idea. The response to my email included the codes but I don't have any experience with universal remotes. Will any remote work or do you have any affordable options to recommend? Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

I also want to say I still love the DAC10, it is simply wonderful.

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2018, 02:07 pm »
The Logitech Harmony remotes work fine.  I had a spare lying around so the last time this subject came up I programmed it from the Logitech site no problem..

joegator81

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2018, 02:17 pm »
The Logitech Harmony remotes work fine.  I had a spare lying around so the last time this subject came up I programmed it from the Logitech site no problem..

Thanks JackD, I'll look it up!

jonbee

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2018, 02:26 pm »
I also want to say I still love the DAC10, it is simply wonderful.
Amen.
Try this:
I had issues with one remote until I realized that the angle at which I pressed on the buttons was the key. If I press straight down toward the side with the lettering, it always works perfectly, 100% of the time. If I press inward toward the center of the remote, or away from the side with the lettering, it fails. Perhaps a property of the switch operation at work here?
I had considered replacing the remote, but not any more.
The features, size, sound quality and price make it one of the very best stereo control units out there. I have them in 2 systems and they are wonderful.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2018, 03:38 pm by jonbee »

joegator81

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2018, 04:15 pm »
Amen.
Try this:
I had issues with one remote until I realized that the angle at which I pressed on the buttons was the key. If I press straight down toward the side with the lettering, it always works perfectly, 100% of the time. If I press inward toward the center of the remote, or away from the side with the lettering, it fails. Perhaps a property of the switch operation at work here?
I had considered replacing the remote, but not any more.
The features, size, sound quality and price make it one of the very best stereo control units out there. I have them in 2 systems and they are wonderful.

Thanks for the advice but I'm aware of the button sensitivity issues already. I'll probably just get a Universal remote off of Amazon. Hopefully it will work

joegator81

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2018, 07:13 pm »
Thanks to the guys at nuprime I was able to easily setup the Logitech harmony 650 remote.  It synced perfectly with the remote code posted on the product page. Only caveat to be aware of when using the remote is that the dac 10 responds somewhat slower than the speed your fingers can adjust the volume, you might find that the volume keeps going up after you’ve stopped pressing the volume button as the dac 10 catches up with the command. This is not unreasonable though and not even annoying, just be aware.

Samoyed

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2018, 10:17 pm »
Keep in mind with Logitech that if you drop it, you must turn it on, again. I hate mine. I have a DAC 10 on the way.

joegator81

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2018, 07:52 pm »
Keep in mind with Logitech that if you drop it, you must turn it on, again. I hate mine. I have a DAC 10 on the way.

Just fair warning if you think the Logitech is bad you are about to enter a world of pain ;) The batteries dislodge inside the dac10 remote very easily and must be unscrewed I. Order to reset them and the cradle in which they sit is annoying to get back in. THAT BEING SAID, the dac10 is absolutely worth it!