Anyone have any experience with the Welborne PS for Squeezeboxes?

alana106

Just spotted this http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34574.0 over on the Square Circle.  At $185 in kit form, it looks kinda interesting.   Just wonder how much improvement it  might be over my Elpac with Bolder mods.

Alan

Wayne1

Alan,

It might be a small improvement.

The circuit used is very similar to the one I used on the Basic Rev 1 PS. I believe Bryan has one of those. Deadfish has a "super" version of one. The case Ron uses is a lot prettier than the Basic :wink:

Being able to change both AC and DC power cables is also a nice thing.

If you are looking for a DIY project, It would be a nice PS to play with. Don't expect a BIG difference between the modded ELPAC and the Welborne.

The Ultimate on the other hand will make a VERY LARGE difference.

steve k

Wayne,
Any chance you'll offer the Ultimate in a kit form? :drool:
steve k

robert1325

I would be in for it!

DeadFish

Alan, the Bolder P/S I have is substantially better than my modded Elpac.
Would be happy to let you listen harder to it if you wanted.
Wish I had an 'ultimate' for you to listen to, but alas... :bawl: no 'joy' in my wallet right now to get one.  :wink:
I'm working 6 day weeks until Christmas, but after if you want to pencil in some listening I'd be happy to oblige.

Regards,
DeadFish

Wayne1

Sorry guys,

I don't do kits.

alana106

Thanks Bill,

Sounds like you have a "Super" version of what Wayne is using as reference.  Not sure if it would set my expectations too high.  If Bryan's is the same version, it might be a better comparable. 

Since  making the little cap mod on the Korato, I've been thinking about trying some type of kit.  Not sure if this one is over my head though. :scratch:

Alan

Scott F.

As I understand it, Bryan's is Basic which is the 1st generation PS Wayne designed where Bill has 'Super' version which is the second version. Wayne is now offering the 'Ultimate' PS which is the third generation PS.

I'm trying to get my hands on the Welborne PS. I sent Ron an email after I saw the Welborne newsletter. I don't think that kit would be over your head at all. The circuit is extremely simple. The only thing you would have to do is make sure that the diodes are installed in the right direction. Knowing Ron, he probably has the circuit boards printed to show proper direction, same with the caps and regulator. Guessing, you would be maybe an hour to assemble it. Should be an easy and fun kit to build.

alana106

Guessing, you would be maybe an hour to assemble it. Should be an easy and fun kit to build.

Thanks Scott,
   You have greater confidence in me... Than me!  :lol:  I sorta thought if I could put it together in a weekend, I might be doing good. :thumb:
  I'd like to see a little more feedback on it before ordering.  Hopefully someone out there has one and can tell us what they think.  Let me know if you do manage to get a hold of one, maybe we can meet up and do a compare.

Alan

Wayne1

Hey guys,

Actually Bryan has the Basic Rev 1 and Bill has an updated Basic.

The differences between the Basic and Basic Rev 1 was the Rev 1 was built in a large case to reduce the effects the transformer field had on the active parts. The connector was changed to an XLR output to allow the DC ground to be isolated from chassis ground. The Rev 1 also added the option of Sonicap bypass caps.

Bill's Basic was updated to the XLR connector and I added some BlackGates around the regulator.

Both PS have a total of 20,000 ufd of capacitor filtering and storage. The ELPAC mod has about half of that. The ELPAC has a half wave bridge. The Basic uses a ful wave with the same HexFREDs. The ELPAC does have one BlackGate around the regulator.

I believe both Bryan's and Bill's supplies use the M-80 style DC cable. The Nitro cable does make a substantial difference to the noise level.

If you ever want to do a SB power supply "shoot-out", let me know. I can see about getting you an Ultimate PS MK II to listen to for a few days.

Mike at Teresonic has a "demo" Ultimate MKII that he is going to use at CES with a BOLDER modded SB3. After CES that supply may become available for auditions.

DeadFish

I believe both Bryan's and Bill's supplies use the M-80 style DC cable. The Nitro cable does make a substantial difference to the noise level.
Yer killin' me here, Wayne!  :bawl: I know I am going to have to compare to the Nitro cable REAL bad now.... :?
 :lol:

If you ever want to do a SB power supply "shoot-out", let me know. I can see about getting you an Ultimate PS MK II to listen to for a few days.

Mike at Teresonic has a "demo" Ultimate MKII that he is going to use at CES with a BOLDER modded SB3. After CES that supply may become available for auditions.
Me!   :)  Without doubt, I'm interested in that Wayne.  Though hard pressed for listening time here, pre-Christmas, and really not having much opportunity at the last GAS blast, I'd like to compare my new-mod SB3 to Scott's, with a roll-thru of power supplies. (HINT, Scott!)   :wink:
Even if we cannot get it together that way, I'd still be interested in comparing supplies if that is possible and anyone else wants to take a listen. 
Thoughts anyone?

Yer happy DeadFish

Scott F.

....I'd like to compare my new-mod SB3 to Scott's, with a roll-thru of power supplies. (HINT, Scott!)   :wink:

Hey, you know me, I'm in.  :thumb:

Sarmck

Hey Fellas,

I would certainly be interested in the results of a PS listening session for the SB3 if/when that comes about.  I am the proud owner of a strictly stock unit and will intially go the power supply "upgrade" route most likely.

Are there any kits that come with a water-fill level as opposed to the need to solder?  :icon_frown:

Ron

DeadFish

Are there any kits that come with a water-fill level as opposed to the need to solder?  :icon_frown:

Ron

What? :oops:

Watch out Ron, once you get 'a little better' out of these things, you get curious.... :wink:

I got a Nitro based d/c cable for my power supply a couple of days ago to audition and gol-durn it, it too is  8).
No doubt, I have some serious listening in front of me.  Thanks for the loaner, Wayne!

Anyone wanting to compare what the effects on the two kinds of d/c cable with the Bolder power supply I (or you) have, lemme know while I've still got it.  Like y'all, with Christmas here, times is crowded, but hopefully we can work something out.

Regards,
Bill

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
I'd be interested to hear the differences.  I'm planning on giving Wayne some business after the holidays - just not sure what and where yet. 

Bryan

Scott F.

I've got one of Ron's power supplies on the way. I hope to have it in a week or so providing he gets his next parts order quickly. He said that his PS's are flying off the shelves. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to put together so I should have it up and running shortly after I get it.

I'll let you guys know once it shows up.

bpape

• Industry Participant
Sounds like a winner. 

Bryan

steve k

Cool, Scott. I'd be curious what the values of those 4 electrolytics are to see if there is a Blackgate comparable.  aa
steve

bpape

• Industry Participant
The only thing I'm seeing is that the output connector for the DC feed is different so any cable swapping is going to be tough.

Bryan

alana106

I've got one of Ron's power supplies on the way. I hope to have it in a week or so providing he gets his next parts order quickly. He said that his PS's are flying off the shelves. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to put together so I should have it up and running shortly after I get it.

I'll let you guys know once it shows up.

I can't wait to hear how it sounds :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: