OCTOBER GAS GATHERING AT ALAN'S

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: OCTOBER GAS GATHERING AT ALAN'S
« Reply #60 on: 29 Oct 2006, 10:26 pm »
Hello Guy's,
             Looks like a nice night of listening in Gateway country. 8)
I noticed some similar equipement to our Rave (which was the same day)....namely the Butler amp and the Mapletree preamp....(did also have a VTL amp as well...it was toprounds). I tried this combo last night...did use two Butler's running in mono, and got very good results with the Mapletree preamp (first time hearing one)...it add a nice dimension to the sound. Running one Butler is good....but adding a 2nd. ....takes the sound way up. If you get the chance....try them in mono. Its not so much for the extra power....but the better sound you will hear.

Great pix, Steve!  Yer right about the NY Ravers' disk.  Some great stuff for all to become familiar with and compare thru the ages on different gear.  It might inspire a similar project for us, if we have enough 'benchmark' cuts we'd like to use. 
That was my reason for handing out the cdr at RMAF....so everyone can hear what we use at our Rave's.....and ...when you report about what your hearing in tune's when you audition equipement, we would all know the song and how it sounds.
I hope one day to have a Gateway Reference Tracks cdr that we can play in NY..... :thumb:

Chris

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #61 on: 30 Oct 2006, 01:35 am »
I'll add my thanks to Alan and his wife.  Good times. 

Chris,

We spoke last night about putting together a GAS reference disc.  Just have to pare it down to a single CD.  The Nils Lofgren track on your CD was listened to about 8 times in a row when comparing power supplies and cables to the SB.  It has a ton of info that was invaluable in determining even small differences.

Bryan

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #62 on: 30 Oct 2006, 01:57 am »
A GAS cd would be great Bryan....thanks !! 8)
And I'll give credit where credit is do...the Nils Lofgren track, "Keith Don't Go", was brought to our attention by Raver tvyankee (Dave). You may have meet him at RMAF. Thanks....

Chris

alana106

« Reply #63 on: 30 Oct 2006, 08:04 pm »

Sorry for not responding up until now...Probably thought the BOSS did me in after the gathering...  Actually, she let me slide....I was TOLD Sunday that I wanted to go shopping for a new (FURRY) family member.  :D   Long story short, we drove to Salem Mo. and now have a new Lhasa Apso to rule the house.

Thanks to everyone who showed up.  I had a great time, and continue to learn little bits of info that make me more and more dangerous.

Alex and Bob,  nice meeting both of you for the first time, hope to see you at future events.

Bob.  The speakers are VMPS model RM40.  You can find them here on AC as well as John Casler at Summit Audio.  Great guy to contact if you ever decide to move in that direction.

Thanks again to to Sturgus, Steve, and Bryan for additional "learnin", You've brought me a long way in a fairly short time.  I never run out of new things to think about buying now. :thumb:

Lonewolf:  You now have me scared....  :o I'm afraid to know what 2 Butlers might due for my RM40s.  Just the one has brought them to a really high level!!!

With a little coaching from Steve, (Thanks) I managed to slip in a few more photos. 

A Few Gas Guys at the Oct. 06 Gathering... L-R Steve, Alex, Bryan, Sturgus, and Bob.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #64 on: 30 Oct 2006, 09:15 pm »
RM40's, ok Alan. Got it.
Alan, thank again for the invite! Special thanks to your wife too for allowing to to allow us.

Guys, any thoughts about OB; The technology in general, mine in particular, imaging in particular??....

Alan, watch that new puppy on the speaker grills! That new little fellow may not know the "house rules" yet.

Bob

steve k

« Reply #65 on: 30 Oct 2006, 11:24 pm »
Bob,
I like the OB concept. I like the way they load the room like a dipole or planar vs. a box speaker. The nice thing about OB's though is they work better off-axis than planars. I really liked the sound of the Nomad Ronin when we had it--it's more of a hybrid with the mid/tweeter OB and the bass in a sealed enclosure but I thought it imaged well and really filled the room up. Listening off-axis was very much like being in the sweet spot.
steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #66 on: 31 Oct 2006, 05:47 pm »
Regarding the GAS CD, are the song selections made?
Or is it too late for a recommendation?
.....And where/how could a fellow get his hands on one?
I believe Bryan started talking to me about this reference disc idea, but we got sidetracked.

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #67 on: 31 Oct 2006, 06:30 pm »
I suspect we should get together and do some listening (hey - why not another excuse!) and pare it down a bit.  We may be able to finalize a set of tracks at Scott's for the Christmas party (if the single malt doesn't get in the way).

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 31 Oct 2006, 06:36 pm »
Can we start earlier than 6:00pm?
I've got one nomination for "The GAS Track".

Bob