Any Slimdevices SB3 users in St. Louis.

alana106

« on: 10 Feb 2006, 10:30 pm »
Hi,

After reading several intriguing posts on the forum about the squeeze box units, I believe that I now have the Bug.  Is there any place in the St. Louis area that might have one of these set up to see / hear.  It appears that everyone has purchased these directly, and no dealers exist.  I would appreciate talking with anyone who has experience using or setting up the SB2 or SB3.

Thanks,
Alan

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2006, 10:41 pm »
Scott F(aller) has a SB3 of his own and the last I heard he has a modded SB2 and power supply of mine.

You might want to try to get in touch with him by PM.

Here is a link to an article he wrote for Enjoy The Music about his early experiences with the Squeezeboxen

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1205/slimdevices_squeezebox.htm

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2006, 11:03 pm »
I have an SB2.  No mods yet but they're coming.  Also probably going to buy another one as the one I purchesed for my room isn't leaving the living room according to the significant other...

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2006, 01:39 am »
Hiya Alan,

Welcome aboard!

As Wayne mentioned, I've got his modded SB2 in house (but it will be gone early next week Wayne, I promise!). I also have an unmodified SB3 here. You are more than welcome to come by and give it a listen. I'm going to be a little hard to catch during the day this weekend but I'll be here evenings if you want to drop by.

I'll drop you a PM with my number.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2006, 01:44 am »
its very cool that you guys, lovers of old tech, namely triode, are also willing to try out new tech.  I think this brings us much further to where we left off when vinyl was replaced.

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2006, 01:52 am »
Quote from: JoshK
its very cool that you guys, lovers of old tech, namely triode, are also willing to try out new tech.  I think this brings us much further to where we left off when vinyl was replaced.

Hiya Josh,

After you hear one of the modded SB's, there is no denying the sound quality. It is soooo much better than a CD player that it's almost embarassing. You're right about the digital realm getting closer to where vinyl left off ....... (did I just type that?)

Besides, even though we are all (or most all of us) are hardcore tube and turntable guys, I'd bet the average size of our CD collections has got to be near 400-500 if not more in several cases.  :mrgreen:

alana106

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2006, 05:06 am »
Thanks for the great response.  It seems that this may the bargain component of the decade.   :D

Scott:
    Thanks, I really appreciate and look forward to the invite.   I'll give you a call over the weekend and try to set up a time that works.

sturgus

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2006, 07:36 am »
Hi Alan, I just bought a SB3 last month. the only thing I have done is put a different P/S on it. Sounds great, looking forward to getting another one. You are more than welcome to stop by an listen to my set up anytime. Hey Scott I found one of those P/S at electronics exchange for $10.00 well worth it. The bass has more weight now. I love this little toy.
Sturgus

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2006, 02:53 pm »
Quote from: sturgus
Hi Alan, I just bought a SB3 last month. the only thing I have done is put a different P/S on it. Sounds great, looking forward to getting another one. You are more than welcome to stop by an listen to my set up anytime. Hey Scott I found one of those P/S at electronics exchange for $10.00 well worth it. The bass has more weight now. I love this little toy.
Sturgus

Hey Sturg and Brian,

You guys ready to do some mods to your SB's?

I'm going to order the WBT NetGen RCA's on Monday for my digital output. Want me to order you guys one too? I've got some solid silver wire left over from teh DRD's to use for the internal wiring. Also (Sturg), I thought when we go out to Johns we could pick up some Black Gates for the onboard power supply and maybe even the external power supply.

While I'm in the SB I'll probably disconnect the headphone output and I might even so some output mods.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2006, 03:36 pm »
Potentially.

Since I'm 99% sure I'll be doing an external DAC, the digital side mods appeal to me.  I think I'll pass on the analog side unless something in that side is detrimental to the digital side.

Speaking of that, what's the chances of catching you a night next week (both nights this weekend are shot) to catch a listen to that MHDT Labs DAC?

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2006, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: bpape
Potentially.

Since I'm 99% sure I'll be doing an external DAC, the digital side mods appeal to me.  I think I'll pass on the analog side unless something in that side is detrimental to the digital side.

Speaking of that, what's the chances of catching you a night next week (both nights this weekend are shot) to catch a listen to that MHDT Labs DAC?

Bryan

On the analog side if you aren't going to full mods I'd probably limit it to removing the headphone output (unless you want to use it). That will free up some current.

As far as I know, next week (evenings) should work with the exception of Tuesday night (got a Board meeting).

Mathew_M

« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2006, 06:32 pm »
Hey Alan,

I'm in Hazelwood and am running a stock Squeezebox 3 straight into a Panasonic digital receiver.  

I have to say that it's the best I've heard digital sound with my VMPS speakers.  The SB and Panasonic receiver cost me around $500 total.  I could do better probably but for thousands more.

If you're in the area and want to hear it let me know.

jcrane

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2006, 07:49 pm »
I am across the river and have an SB3, stock.
I want to pick up a SB2 before they are gone to mod.
Scott, how much are the parts you are talking about ordering?
I might just be interested. I need to order the SB2 now I guess.
They don't have many left.
Jamie

alana106

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2006, 10:26 pm »
Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome.

Scott and Sturgus: It was great talking to both of you, and I hope we can get together in the near future.  

Thanks Sturgus for the tip about ordering 2 SB3's, and saving $100.  If anyone in the local area would like one, let me know, and I'll place an order 2.  We can each save the $50.

Scott:  Since I don't have the unit get, it seems early for me to be talking about the Mods. :roll:  BUT...  If they won't be too difficult, I might like to get in on the parts order, provided if it doesn't cause you any additional trouble.

Thanks,
Alan

DeadFish

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2006, 02:03 am »
Greetings, Alan!
Haven't gotten an SB yet, but have heard 3 at Scott's and have been too distracted to seriously order one.
If you need someone to order with to get the discount, and nobody has piped up, consider me please.
I'm across the river in Illinois. not too far away.
Yah, these things are way cool.
Lemme know if/when and cash arrangements, and I'll follow thru with you.

Best Regards,
DeadFish

alana106

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2006, 02:43 am »
Greetings, Alan!
Haven't gotten an SB yet, but have heard 3 at Scott's and have been too distracted to seriously order one.
If you need someone to order with to get the discount, and nobody has piped up, consider me please.
I'm across the river in Illinois. not too far away.
Yah, these things are way cool.
Lemme know if/when and cash arrangements, and I'll follow thru with you.

Best Regards,
DeadFish

Thanks DeadFish,

You have a personal message.

mark@marktwain

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2006, 05:13 am »
Hey Scott and Bryan,

Is that MHDT labs DAC the new tube dac you picked up Scott? If it is your gonna like it Bryan. I heard it last time I was down to Scott's, it sounds really sweet.

Mark

Scott F.

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2006, 11:24 am »
Jamie,

Doing just the digital mods should be fairly inexpensive. The WBT NextGen is under $20 for the gold plated or just under $40 for the solid silver. The power supply cap (assuming we use Black Gates) should be right at $20 from John out at Musical Design. I've got the wire we need in stock.

Let me know if you want me to order one for you.

alana106

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2006, 05:31 pm »
DeadFish,

Our SB3s have been ordered.  I'll let you know when they arrive.

Alan

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2006, 05:48 pm »
Here is the ebay link to the MHDT DAC

http://cgi.ebay.com/TDA1545-TDA1545A-Non-OS-TUBE-DAC-Paradisea_W0QQitemZ5856671258QQcategoryZ14978QQcmdZViewItem

Evidently, this is only sold via eBay - strange but whatever works for them.

Bryan