System introduction

VK

System introduction
« on: 2 Aug 2020, 11:50 am »
Hi!

After my short introduction as audiophile it is time to introduce my system.

Digital source:
Naim ND5 XS2
North Star CD transport Magnifico
Analog source:
Turntable Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S with vintage cartridge supex SD-909
Preamp section:
Parasound jc3jr
Integrated amp:
Bryston B135SST2
Loudspeakers:
Dynaudio Focus 360
AC purifier:
Shunjata Research Hydra 8
Interconnect:
mainly Black Rhodium RCA (it would be a long specification but lets say mid/high range)
AC cables:
Black Rhodium
Isokinetik
Furutech

Barbour81

Re: System introduction
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2020, 05:21 pm »
Good idea. Mine is not a patch on most, but looking to upgrade (would love a BP26 and BDA-2)

Digi Source: Cyrus CDXT SE + PSX-R
DAC: Bel Canto DAC 1.5 + power supply
Pre-amp: BP25
Loudspeakers: PMC Result6
Other: Musical Fidelity A5 DAB Tuner

QED Ref XLR

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2020, 04:49 pm »
Hi!

After my short introduction as audiophile it is time to introduce my system.

Digital source:
Naim ND5 XS2
North Star CD transport Magnifico
Analog source:
Turntable Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S with vintage cartridge supex SD-909
Preamp section:
Parasound jc3jr
Integrated amp:
Bryston B135SST2
Loudspeakers:
Dynaudio Focus 360
AC purifier:
Shunjata Research Hydra 8
Interconnect:
mainly Black Rhodium RCA (it would be a long specification but lets say mid/high range)
AC cables:
Black Rhodium
Isokinetik
Furutech

Hi!

That is one cool-looking CD transport! Is it made in Italy? I am a sucker for CD transports.

I had a Naim ND5 XS on loan and I liked the user interface a lot. I can't understand why they decided to remove the display completely from the 2nd generation model.

Cheers,
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2020, 04:52 pm »
Hi!

That is one cool-looking CD transport! Is it made in Italy? I am a sucker for CD transports.

I had a Naim ND5 XS on loan and I liked the user interface a lot. I can't understand why they decided to remove the display completely from the 2nd generation model.

Cheers,
Antun

Hi Antun

i think more and more people are using handheld devices as the display.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2020, 04:54 pm »
Good idea. Mine is not a patch on most, but looking to upgrade (would love a BP26 and BDA-2)

Digi Source: Cyrus CDXT SE + PSX-R
DAC: Bel Canto DAC 1.5 + power supply
Pre-amp: BP25
Loudspeakers: PMC Result6
Other: Musical Fidelity A5 DAB Tuner

QED Ref XLR

Hi!

How do you like your Cyrus CD transport? I had a Cyrus CDT on loan (the lower end model) on loan and while I liked the looks, the machine itself was a catastrophe in terms of reliability. It wouldn't play 40% of my CDs and out of the CD-Rs I've tried, it wouldn't play 80% of them and these were recorded on a proper Philips CD recorder, no computer was involved.

I hope you're having better luck with yours!

Also, I noticed you're using active monitors. Is there a reason you didn't want some of the PMCs 'domestic' models and went with a studio monitor instead?

Cheers,
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2020, 05:15 pm »
Hi Antun

i think more and more people are using handheld devices as the display.

james

Hi James!

No doubt about that but like you said one time, with the BDP you wanted something that operated essentially like a CD player. The concept appealed to me as I felt it offered something no other type of device offered at the time. Everything today uses a touch-screen of some sort, even electronic musical instruments such as synthesizers, but what manufacturers often forget is that not all who use them have perfect vision. With so much information that has to fit on the screen, the fonts can get very small and thus difficult or impossible for someone to read. Since these types of devices typically depend on deep menu systems rather than hands-on controls, using them is difficult. For this reason I strongly prefer devices that are simple to use and have an intuitive set of controls with a display on-board.

The creators of the Fairlight CMI (Computer Musical Instruments) upon selling their first machine to none other than Stevie Wonder said that if an instrument cannot be used by a blind musician, then it is really not suitable for any musician.

Still, later they developed an iPad app!!!

Cheers,
Antun

Barbour81

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2020, 02:03 pm »
Hi!

How do you like your Cyrus CD transport? I had a Cyrus CDT on loan (the lower end model) on loan and while I liked the looks, the machine itself was a catastrophe in terms of reliability. It wouldn't play 40% of my CDs and out of the CD-Rs I've tried, it wouldn't play 80% of them and these were recorded on a proper Philips CD recorder, no computer was involved.

I hope you're having better luck with yours!

Also, I noticed you're using active monitors. Is there a reason you didn't want some of the PMCs 'domestic' models and went with a studio monitor instead?

Cheers,
Antun

Hi Antun - I have heard a few horror stories about Cyrus CDP's skipping and not reading however mine has been ok. It is definitely fussy about discs that are a bit scratched, they generally need to be in decent condition otherwise it will skip (but would play largely without issue on a basic Sony DVD player for example). It also doesnt read the odd disc of mine (~3 or 4 out of 500+). Oustide of that I love it, very detailed and the additional power supply improves things further

My set up is in my home office and felt the PMC actives were a neat solution They review fairly well as a hifi speaker and of course the Bryston/PMC combo is great. I'd like to updgrade the DAC next, would really like to go with Bryston.

Cheers, Tony

R. Daneel

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2020, 08:43 pm »
Hi Antun - I have heard a few horror stories about Cyrus CDP's skipping and not reading however mine has been ok. It is definitely fussy about discs that are a bit scratched, they generally need to be in decent condition otherwise it will skip (but would play largely without issue on a basic Sony DVD player for example). It also doesnt read the odd disc of mine (~3 or 4 out of 500+). Oustide of that I love it, very detailed and the additional power supply improves things further

My set up is in my home office and felt the PMC actives were a neat solution They review fairly well as a hifi speaker and of course the Bryston/PMC combo is great. I'd like to updgrade the DAC next, would really like to go with Bryston.

Cheers, Tony

Hi Tony!

It's good to hear your Cyrus is behaving itself! I was seriously considering the CDi player but they didn't have it so they loaned me the CDT, just to see if the mechanics meet my needs. Sadly, they didn't.

I like PMC speakers. I think a pair of twenty5.21 standmounts would fit my room well. The Result6 are a purely analogue affair, are they not?

Cheers,
Antun