BDP-2 Digital Player

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #700 on: 27 Jun 2014, 06:10 pm »
I'd be really interested in this too, IF I'm not modifying the file. Anyone have any experience with this?

ttsto

« Reply #701 on: 27 Jun 2014, 07:28 pm »
My understanding is that ReplayGain is a tag in the .flac file and MPD will read this tag and adjust volume of the output
I use ReplayGain info when playing via Squeezebox Touch or via laptop with foobar.
I consider it very convenient when listening via BHA-1... the volume can dramatically jump from one album to another, no remote and headphones transfer the difference in volume directly to the eardrums...

MoPac

« Reply #702 on: 4 Jul 2014, 04:07 pm »
Hi, James
 Just ordered the BDP2.  Can't wait!
Couple of questions so I can prep.
Is it advisable to use a clean drive ( music files only ) or can the files that come with some drives be left on?
What 128 or 256 thumb drives work well with the BDP?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #703 on: 4 Jul 2014, 04:13 pm »
Hi, James
 Just ordered the BDP2.  Can't wait!
Couple of questions so I can prep.
Is it advisable to use a clean drive ( music files only ) or can the files that come with some drives be left on?
What 128 or 256 thumb drives work well with the BDP?

Thanks

Hi

CONGRATS  :thumb:

I typically delete all the files that come with the drive.  Any USB Thumb-drive I have tried works well with the BDP so I think the choice is wide open there.

Enjoy!

james

CraigS720

« Reply #704 on: 7 Jul 2014, 03:53 pm »
Newbie help needed!

Enjoying my new BDP-2. Getting used to Manic Moose. I installed two usb thumb drives and it works well. But when I added a 2TB hard drive, formatted HFS+ with 10,000 songs it only indexes about two thirds of the drive and the rest of the artists are in red. I took the drive out, rebooted and added another 2TB drive, rebooted and after updating it did the same thing. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Craig

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #705 on: 7 Jul 2014, 03:57 pm »
Newbie help needed!

Enjoying my new BDP-2. Getting used to Manic Moose. I installed two usb thumb drives and it works well. But when I added a 2TB hard drive, formatted HFS+ with 10,000 songs it only indexes about two thirds of the drive and the rest of the artists are in red. I took the drive out, rebooted and added another 2TB drive, rebooted and after updating it did the same thing. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Craig

Hi Craig

The drive should be formatted in FAT 32 or NTSF

james

CraigS720

« Reply #706 on: 7 Jul 2014, 04:00 pm »
Thanks James. I'll give that a try.

Craig

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #707 on: 8 Jul 2014, 12:46 am »
Newbie help needed!

Thanks for the help.

Craig

You should check the MPD log to see if it's getting hung up on a file, if it is you should remove the last file listed and the file that would have been read next and try again.

Cheers
Chris

CraigS720

« Reply #708 on: 9 Jul 2014, 02:20 pm »
Thank you James and Chris. I reformatted the drive to FAT32 and cleaned up the database and now I am in business!

Best,

Craig

baddestdad

« Reply #709 on: 9 Jul 2014, 09:31 pm »
I am expecting the arrival of a new BDP-2 with Manic Moose.  I understand that Manic Moose permits the BDP-2 to process DSD files but do not know whether the processing is limited to L and R front channels to produce 2 channel output only or whether all channels  are processed and presented to the AES3 output.  Can someone with Manic Moose knowledge and experience clarify this for me.

Thanks, Bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #710 on: 9 Jul 2014, 10:05 pm »
I am expecting the arrival of a new BDP-2 with Manic Moose.  I understand that Manic Moose permits the BDP-2 to process DSD files but do not know whether the processing is limited to L and R front channels to produce 2 channel output only or whether all channels  are processed and presented to the AES3 output.  Can someone with Manic Moose knowledge and experience clarify this for me.

Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob

Stereo only.

James

mr_bill

« Reply #711 on: 9 Jul 2014, 10:17 pm »
James,
Is there a link to a 'how to' update to Manic Moose software for the BDP-1?
I'm still running the old software.
Thanks,
Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #712 on: 9 Jul 2014, 11:23 pm »
James,
Is there a link to a 'how to' update to Manic Moose software for the BDP-1?
I'm still running the old software.
Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill

Yes email Gary at

-Gary Dayton <gdayton@bryston.com>

MoPac

« Reply #713 on: 12 Jul 2014, 03:59 pm »
I am expecting the arrival of a new BDP-2 with Manic Moose.

I'm expecting my BDP2 in a couple weeks.  Do they all ship with MM or did you have to specify?

Thanks, Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #714 on: 12 Jul 2014, 04:42 pm »
I'm expecting my BDP2 in a couple weeks.  Do they all ship with MM or did you have to specify?

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich

Any new production ships with MM.

james

ttsto

« Reply #715 on: 13 Jul 2014, 07:17 am »
I'd be really interested in this too, IF I'm not modifying the file. Anyone have any experience with this?
One week ago I moved to MM and looked for ReplayGain settings, but could not find it
However, yesterday, when configuring Cantata, I found ability to enable ReplayGain through its interface, in the settings related to playback.

Good news is that it works, so now I can listen to multiple albums on headphones without adjusting the volume each time :)
Bad news is that enabling ReplayGain is not persistent, it will change to None after BDP restart

To give example, difference in recording levels between two albums I am just listening right now is about 7db: Chris - Making Sense (foobar calculated) ReplayGain of -5db and Children of Nova - The Complexity of Light ReplayGain of -12. The difference is quite noticeable and creates discomfort especially when listening to headphones

L.E. I would mention there are two ReplayGain options for converters, one is "ReplyGain" and second is "ReplyGain (apply)", the first one is to be used, as it writes tags with the ReplyGain information, while the second alters the file.

mitkey

« Reply #716 on: 13 Jul 2014, 08:49 am »
is there a upgrade kit available for BDP-1 user ?

drummermitchell

« Reply #717 on: 13 Jul 2014, 02:08 pm »
ERROR 09 on the BDP-2,will initialize for a long time and then ERROR 09.
Unplugged the BDA-2 and BDP-2 overnight  and same thing after plugging them in again.
Power in the dac is on and no AES detection.
Cant even get into the BDP's menu.
Non of the above are into the Torus,straight to the wall ect.
Nothing in the manual on how to fix this as all it says is what the error codes are :o..
I wonder if Chris can fix this remotely.                                                                                                                                                                                   Times like this I wish I had kept the BCD-1,if it has to be shipped back,then that costs also.
At least its not a 28 as it would be over 200.00 to have it returned,OH FRIGGIN WELL.
At least my TT has been flawless for yrs,of course that's ANALOG :thumb:.

ozzy

« Reply #718 on: 13 Jul 2014, 02:54 pm »
My unit was originally doing that also.
I found that it was the power conditioner I had it plugged into.
Try going straight into the wall outlet.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #719 on: 13 Jul 2014, 03:08 pm »
ERROR 09 on the BDP-2,will initialize for a long time and then ERROR 09.
Unplugged the BDA-2 and BDP-2 overnight  and same thing after plugging them in again.
Power in the dac is on and no AES detection.
Cant even get into the BDP's menu.
Non of the above are into the Torus,straight to the wall ect.
Nothing in the manual on how to fix this as all it says is what the error codes are :o..
I wonder if Chris can fix this remotely.                                                                                                                                                                                   Times like this I wish I had kept the BCD-1,if it has to be shipped back,then that costs also.
At least its not a 28 as it would be over 200.00 to have it returned,OH FRIGGIN WELL.
At least my TT has been flawless for yrs,of course that's ANALOG :thumb:.

Hi Don

09 is not communicating with the main board - could be a loose internal wire but will let Chris comment.  It is not possible to communicate with the BDP remotely if it shows 09.

james