Rec. for enclosure builder

JMW73

Rec. for enclosure builder
« on: 3 Dec 2022, 03:05 pm »
I have a pair of DIY custom built subs... my workmanship isn't quite up to par.  I'd like to have enclosures built to my specs.  This should be a simple job but for some reason I'm having a hard time finding someone.  The car audio shops that have the capabilities don't want to do it because it's "home audio", even though it's essentially the same thing (they are passive, so it's a box with binding posts... just like in a car).

Anyway, any recommendations?  I'm in the Pittsburgh area and can travel within reason but also can have them shipped to me.

JCarney

Re: Rec. for enclosure builder
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2022, 03:54 pm »
Mike Lundy might be able to help. He does finished cabs and flat packs for GR and I believe other custom stuff. I provided the link to GR's circle where Danny stickied the topic. Also, a cnc shop that can do wood might also be an option.

JCarney

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=164355.0

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2022, 04:38 pm »
Jim Salk is on the North side of Detroit.  Not sure if that's too far.  Salk Signature Sound.  He does great work. He has a circle here.

BTW, I have a daughter in Sarver, PA, just North of Pittsburgh.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2022, 04:48 pm »
Google furniture maker or cabinet maker.  Lots of shops in the yinzer area.  Out my way in Indiana PA there's lots of Amish places that do wonderful work.

JMW73

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2022, 05:28 pm »
Google furniture maker or cabinet maker.  Lots of shops in the yinzer area.  Out my way in Indiana PA there's lots of Amish places that do wonderful work.

Hey, I’m in Indiana, PA!!

I actually thought about that, but I want someone who knows what it takes to brace a subwoofer box.  The Amish are great for woodworking, but this needs to perform and not just look good.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2022, 05:38 pm »
Yes, I saw that on another thread.  Best town in PA.  And you're right about the Amish, you'd want specifically a cabinet maker, not just another rough hewn furniture maker.  I did a quick Google search and saw several custom cabinet shops towards Pittsburgh, they're used to building boxes with nice veneer.  I used to know a custom veneer shop that built custom in the North Hills on rt19, but that was 30 or 40 years ago.

JMW73

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2022, 08:28 pm »
Thank you for the recommendations. I started with Mike Lundy and I’ll go from there.

JMW73

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2022, 02:31 pm »
Mike ended up not working out...  In the meantime, I found this guy out of Kentucky and am going to go with him.  This is one of his products, and the finish I'm going with.  Stained birch.  Seems like a good combination of quality woodwork and understands audio.  I'll post pics when I get them, but he is up to 8 weeks backed up so it'll be a minute. 

https://www.facebook.com/NextLevelFabrications.LLC