Linn Katans

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Linn Katans
« on: 6 Dec 2015, 04:44 pm »
I recently met a guy here who is in love with everything Linn. His speakers are the Katans. I've never heard Katans before. I've read about them though.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone is familiar enough with their sound to offer up a comparison to any other stand mount speaker. Hopefully, compare them to present day speakers or speakers offered by AC manufacturers.

The reason I ask is the guy instantly trash talks pretty much any other speaker on the market because it is not a Linn product. He happily trash talked my LS/5 speakers without even hearing them.  :nono:

Thanks!

Michael

ctviggen

Re: Linn Katans
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2015, 07:29 pm »
I have linn 5140s, which I think are similar to the Katans.  I like them and am currently using them as my upstairs system for watching TV and movies.  I've had VMPS RM40s and Salk HT3s, and I think they both were better.  However, you can make the Linns active, and that supposedly helps a lot.  My Linn 5140s are not active (which for me would mean 6 amps and six sets of speaker cables, which is too much for a family room system).