Battlefield Bad Company 2

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Battlefield Bad Company 2
« on: 18 Jul 2010, 04:32 pm »

I bought this recently for the PC through my Steam account and just finished it up last night.  FPS games have gravitated towards short single-player games with the emphasis on co-op and multiplayer gaming.  Battlefield Bad Company 2 doesn't offer a deep single-player experience, having finished the campaign in about 8 hours.  But what is there is very compelling.  The missions are nicely structured, and the story-driven campaign is well-written with some of the best voice-acting I have heard in a game.  There's lots of witty dialogue.

Also a plus is the game's wide variety of mission settings and terrain, and along with that some freedom of movement.  It is still a scripted game, but the boundaries are not as confined as, say, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.  The destructable environment in the game and strong visuals make it enjoyable.

That said, there are a few niggling annoyances.  For instance, there are times when you are forced to perform some task in precisely the way the script calls for or you die, very quickly.  There's nothing quite like carefully poking your head around a corner...at which point every enemy solider on the base becomes aware of your presence, and then you die -- all because you deviated slightly from the script.  Thankfully this only happens a couple of times and really doesn't do much to tarnish an otherwise superb gaming experience.

I haven't dove into the multiplayer game yet, but will get to that soon.

--Jerome

john_vera

Re: Battlefield Bad Company 2
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2010, 04:42 pm »
Hey!
Multiplayer is definitely the reason to play this game. Phenomenal.
Of course it will take a few months to learn all the hiding spots and figure out how best to stay alive!

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2010, 04:49 pm »
Multiplayer alone in a FPS is not enough to get me to spend money on it.

--Jerome

vadang

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2011, 01:47 am »
I have been playing this game with my brother and some other old college buddies for a few months now.  I like the mechanics of MW2 better, but I like the gameplay (squads, bigger maps, vehicles, etc) of BFBC2 better. 

I bought it for 20 bucks and haven't even touched the single player.  I look forward to Battlefield 3, the trailers look sick.

Kinger

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2011, 02:07 am »
When I purchased a new PC about a month and a half ago I picked up a copy of this as well.  Have been having a blast playing on-line in multiplayer ever since.  As vadang mentioned above, the squad based play, huge maps and large number of players on a single server just add a ton of fun to the game.  BF3 looks awesome, but I'm hoping it's not a complete box crusher.