Omega build quality

McNubbins

Omega build quality
« on: 31 Mar 2018, 08:46 pm »
The question of just how good Omega Speakers' build quality is comes up every once in a while, and I have recently had occasion to address it.

Before I begin, I should tell you that I have had my pair of Super 3XRS for about 3 years. I listen to them on a pair of Iso-Acoustics isolating stands rather than the three factory spikes. I do this less because I feel the stands sound better than the spikes, than because the stands isolate the speakers from my very polite downstairs neighbours (may they remain so).

The other night, I found some of my significant other's family in my living room after drinks and dinner (in that order). I still don't know how it happened. While I was at the computer, I heard a huge bang. My first thought was that the building was collapsing.

I was horrified to see the left speaker of my stereo pair lying flat on its back, a victim of my future mother-in-law's uncharacteristic lack of coordination.

The silver lining is that the only thing that was damaged was my wood flooring...I have thoroughly examined the speaker in question over two days and have found neither a scratch, nor any auditory aberrations.

So if you had any concern about Omegas' build quality, I can assure you that, at least in my case, they are very well constructed.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Omega build quality
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2018, 09:07 pm »
I had a large pair of Omega monitors on stands, a cat, carpet on concrete, and drywall.
Drywall still has a few scratches/nicks; speaker was fine.  :D

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2018, 09:47 pm »
Interesting you mention this case, a few years ago a member posted that his fiancee stuck his finger in the cone also of a single driver speaker, looks not unusual test relationship in the pre-marital period.

jcake5

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2018, 01:01 pm »
Gents,

My 1.5 Outlaw Super 3XRS are two years old and are placed about 20 inches from the wall.  Well, 9 grandchildren, 10 and under, have caused both speakers fall into the drywall many time.  I have fixed many of the deep wall dents and the speakers look 100% factory new.  The first time a knock over happened I almost cried but ended up with a jump of joy.  Louis uses thicker veneer and that has saved my speakers and my fears.

Regards,
Eric

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2018, 07:23 pm »
Nope no concerns Louis builds those enclosures like a TANK, period.

charles

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2018, 01:13 am »
A few years ago talking with Louis on the phone, he told me about his cabinet integrity test where he took a cabinet up onto his shop roof and threw it onto the pavement below.  Not sure how the pavement fared, but the cabinet was fine. Dinged no doubt, but not broken. :thumb:

Jolly

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2018, 01:28 pm »
 The build quality/craftsmanship of Omega speakers is first rate AND they sound GREAT!!