Free Tweaks

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Free Tweaks
« on: 17 Mar 2024, 06:23 pm »
  Is anyone familiar with Michael Green formerly Room Tunes ? Mike likes tuning components by taking covers off, cracking CB screws, enclosure screws, removing wire ties separating wires. Loosening Transformer screws as well.
   Try removing cover first. Listen. Crack screw at IEC. Listen. Crack screws on CB. Listen. It is a process. One at a time so you can ascertain a result. Remove rubber footers and use wood. We like Cardas blocks but I would try other type woods. If the bottom cover can be removed do that as well.
  More open, better imaging and sound field. Bass, did I say Bass tighter and focused. Tighten those screws on speaker drivers, just enough NEVER over tighten. Have fun hearing the changes.

charles

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Free Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2024, 09:13 am »
I remember Room Tunes if not Michael Green.  The Web site appears to not have a mobile friendly code.  Navigating was impossible.  I love playing with stuff like this.  I also remember something about loosening screws back in the 2000s, what's a CB screw?

ric

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2024, 01:35 pm »
If you have the ears to do it, go for it!
I copied one of his corner pieces for bass out of 1x6's, it did seem to help a bit.
I'm more in the Ric Schultz (formerly Hi Fidelity cables--magnets) camp, and rather than tweeking screws, try replacing the speaker screws with non magnetic screws, brass, or even better titanium screws.
Happy Listening!

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2024, 02:13 pm »
One of the pioneers of tweaks was Mike Vans Evers. He did several essays on it. I located a link to one you might consider reading.
https://www.stereotimes.com/post/the-art-science-of-audio-tuning-part-four/

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2024, 03:34 pm »
I remember Room Tunes if not Michael Green.  The Web site appears to not have a mobile friendly code.  Navigating was impossible.  I love playing with stuff like this.  I also remember something about loosening screws back in the 2000s, what's a CB screw?

Circuit Board. Mike is retired. He posts on FB these days.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2024, 03:37 pm »
If you have the ears to do it, go for it!
I copied one of his corner pieces for bass out of 1x6's, it did seem to help a bit.
I'm more in the Ric Schultz (formerly Hi Fidelity cables--magnets) camp, and rather than tweeking screws, try replacing the speaker screws with non magnetic screws, brass, or even better titanium screws.
Happy Listening!

Mike's theory is based on releasing resonance from the tightened screws. The resonance affects the audio signal. By removing the screws resonance is lessened. Try both ways.

charles