Old AV amps with good stereo sound

ginetto61

Re: I just picked up a 19 year old
« Reply #20 on: 1 Oct 2020, 10:52 am »
   I know your issue is size and I can appreciate that, I went that route many times before with a very good sounding Virtue amp to a not bad sounding Chinese chip amp to a much better sounding class a/b and now a very good sounding 19 year old amp. 
My experience with the lower cost class d is that they are really not that great.  Different sounding yes, nowhere near power specs, check!  Trends was okay even better the little Chinese chip amp with 30 volt power supply.    I had one raved about cult like JVC (not that great really) ages ago and the Virtue amp put an end to that one.  Recently, though I have gone back to good ole class ab.  First a new NAD C316BEE.  A rip off in my use case @$450 IMHO if you are just concerned about sound.  The Dayton AP-150 (has usable volume control and might fit on a desk) sounded better.  But better sounding yet is the 19 year old Sonance Sonamp 260.   And for about $100 or less plus shipping a very good value, provided you find a nice example.

Hi sorry for the late reply.  I have been playing with some class D chinese amp ... and you are right ... even using better psu they still lack power  ...  I have still to try the 7498e family amps
Impressive amp the Sonance.  Never hear of the brand here in Europe ... the toroid is huge.  A good sign for sure. 

As for form factor, that is why they have the floor beneath the desk.  Grab a $59 passive volume like a JDS or Schiit and run the cable down to a very good sounding amp.  Good luck with the search.   
Thanks a loto for the kind and very valuable advice.  This is indeed what i am thinking to do.  To keep only the volume control close to the keyboard and run cable.   I will look for a passive but also active preamp.  I guess an active preamp can be made much smaller than an amp.  I am looking just now to the SainSmart 63N tube preamp ... very nice.   Thanks a lot again. 

ginetto61

Re: Old AV amps with good stereo sound
« Reply #21 on: 1 Oct 2020, 10:55 am »
   I would consider a Dayton Audio DTA-120 or the 120BT.  I have an older DTA100a and it sounds very good for the price.  The 120 has more power and is supposed to be of better quality... 
Hi ! thanks for the kind advice.  I have looked around here in Italy but it seems not available
By the way i start to understand why many recording engineers use powered speakers.  They can be very handy.  I do not like the solution with a stereo amp on just one side but this is for cheaper models. 
Maybe the powered speakers is more effective solution ?  i am very confused ... so many options ... Thanks again

Doublej

Re: Old AV amps with good stereo sound
« Reply #22 on: 1 Oct 2020, 01:57 pm »
I'd look into the JBL 305P MkII powered studio monitors. Kali LP-6 too if you can find them in Italy.