Ignorance with my Turntable

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
« on: 1 Apr 2005, 04:11 am »
Hello guys!
My threads must be getting annoying.

Due to conflicting information online, I still do not know what to do with my turntable, and how to set it up properly.
Goldring GR1 turntable, in case somebody doesn't know.

I have basically only two things I can adjust: the tonearm weight by moving the counterweight on the arm back and forward, or by spinning it left or right - and the tracking force meter that goes from 0-2

Where's the anti-skate?

And why is it that no matter how exact I try to be, I just simply CANNOT get the arm to balance over the record when setting it up? I'm trying to get it as accurate as possible, but I can't even get the arm to the position where it is "floating 1mm over a record, the stylus not touching the record" - as quoted by the RB250 manual. Sometimes it sort of "floats", but it is always moving to the right, back to the tonearm base. I cannot get this thing to stand still.

I think that if I get the arm balanced properly I can be a happy guy.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a credit card anymore and will not be able to get a gauge for some time.. so any information now will be very helpful.

By the way, attached is exactly what my tonearm looks like: http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/a...php?pic_id=1764

Thanks in advance!!
-Andrew

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2005, 11:00 am »
What you THINK is the "tracking force meter" is actually the anti-skate adjustment. Tracking force is set by rotating the counterweight.One reason the tonearm would move towards the tonearm rest is if you have anti-skating set: if you think you've set the "tracking force meter" at 2 grams, you've actually set the anti-skate at 2 grams---it should be set at ZERO while you first balance the tonearm and THEN set tracking force, then set anti-skating to match whatever tracking force. (Even setting anti-skate at ZERO may not totally defeat anti-skating force).

Personally, I have the Rega 250 arm with the Origin Live counterweight: it can ONLY be set with a gauge; maybe the Goldring version is different.

jcoat007

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2005, 02:28 pm »
OK, I have to laugh.  Aman, I just noticed that you are an MIT student.  C'mon man, this can't be that hard for an MIT student.  Goldring should be proud that they have confused a very bright person.  I'm sure the setup instructions are very easy to follow, right???? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Tonto is correct.  You get the tonearm to float and that is zero tracking force.  Then you adjust it to 2 grams by rotating it in the direction that makes the tonearm no longer float.  If there is no visual indicator of how much weight you have adjusted for tracking force, then you will have to get a gauge or just make adjustments and lsiten by ear until it sounds to your liking.  

On my old MMF-5, you had to get the tonearm floating, then you could set the visual tracking force indicator to zero and then adjust to desired tracking force.  This allowed for different weight cartridges.

Next is the anti-skating.  In my MMF there were three settings (if my memory serves me).  Each one for a different range of tracking force, so once you set the tracking force, anti-skate was a no-brainer.  

I will admit, that turtable setup is a major learning curve.  I am on my third turntable and each one was different and challenging.  I am still learning.  

Here is a stylus force guage for $20 in a-gon.  

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgcart&1116526180

Good luck.  I hope this helps.

Steve

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2005, 03:14 pm »
Go easy Stevie!  TT setups your first time are a b**ch.  Yes it is a mechanical physics problem, but Aman could be a freshman for all we know.  

Anywho, I will admit to be befuddled for a while with my table and I have a masters in applied math from a respectable institution, that doesn't mean you necessarily get what is going on with a tonearm at first glance.

The advice they gave you is right, Aman.  Don't second guess yourself, go with your instincts and ask questions if you get confused.  Were here to help, if we can.

jcoat007

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2005, 03:27 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Go easy Stevie!  TT setups your first time are a b**ch.  Yes it is a mechanical physics problem, but Aman could be a freshman for all we know.  

Anywho, I will admit to be befuddled for a while with my table and I have a masters in applied math from a respectable institution, that doesn't mean you necessarily get what is going on with a tonearm at first glance.

The advice they gave you is right, Aman.  Don't second guess yourself, go with your instincts and ask questions if you get confused.  Were here to help, if we can.

I was just trying to be funny.  I put a whole bunch of these after my comments: :lol:

TT setup is the hardest thing to figure out, and I am no expert.  I recently was trying to "fix" my tonearm.  I ended up taking it apart (I have a frantic post here about it) and basically breaking it.  I had to send it back to Nottingham England where they replaced the pivot and tonearm wires.  Total expense to fix was almost $300 partly because of the lousy exchange rate.  So believe me I know how hard this is.

Aman

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2005, 08:16 pm »
I asked around a few forums, and I got some other answers from people and I fixed my own problem :D

I didn't want to use "MIT" logic on a 350 dollar piece of equipment is all.

I am actually a Sophomore.. but a well-performing one too  :lol:

I put something in front of the arm so it wouldn't slide back, and I then got the arm to float pretty well - I set the tracking force to 1.5 and I'm all set - sounds better (more revealing actually - in a bad way.. eck - my Yes record is more damaged than I thought!).

Don't ask me what happened when I put it all the way up to 2 :(

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2005, 02:13 pm »
I found your review of the GR-1 on another forum extolling the table's ease of setup, so I don't understand why there's such confusion now?

Aman

« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2005, 04:47 pm »
You'll notice that was written a while ago -- and I thought I had set it up properly.

Apparently people online told me that I was wrong at setting it up.

But yes, the manual makes it seem quite easy. They forget to mention how hard it is to set it up THEIR WAY. eek. :rolleyes: