just made my first touch

rosconey

just made my first touch
« on: 25 Feb 2005, 10:49 pm »
from a friend for records- :mrgreen:
hoop had alot  when we were teenagers 100 years ago or so-he stopped by out of the blue today so i asked what he had done with them.
he's going to dig them out and drop off next week in time for my new rig to play 8)

going to hit up my buddy blotto next-total stones freak

ohenry

just made my first touch
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2005, 12:40 am »
Good score, now it's time to get the cleaning implements of your choice before your too tempted to play dirty records.

Have fun...

rosconey

just made my first touch
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2005, 10:41 am »
bought a carbon fibre brush to clean vinyl with off ebay-

also saw a stones hot rocks for 2$ so i bid - next thing im up to 25$ and still loose.do a ebay search for the same title and find the same print(1971) for 4$ buy it now option :mrgreen: so i bought goats head soup from the same guy with another buy it now-5$

ohenry

just made my first touch
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:05 pm »
I thought that you'd think ahead and do some reading and shopping.  Although I still have my old vinyl and never strayed from the format, I had let my cleaning tools become way over due for replacement and it's difficult to delay playing without proper cleaning.

After reading this forum, I recently purchased an Allsop Orbitrac 2 for a reasonable price.  I find that to be pretty effective and simple.  Check it out if your looking for more devices to try.  A friend scrubs his dirty ones in the sink using a soft-bristle paint brush and a mixture of dawn and IPA - very effective for the grungy ones.

There is much more vinyl in decent condition languishing out there than most folks think.  For now things are inexpensive, but I foresee the used market getting a bit tighter within the next ten years.  Hopefully , it'll never be similar to the NOS tube market. :cry:

There's nothing like the feeling you get finding a mint record at a flea market that probably hasn't been played in 25 years.  It's an inanimate reawakening.

rosconey

just made my first touch
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2005, 01:17 pm »
i did alittle research over at aa and carbon fibre dry cleaning brushes were well thought of.

Marbles

just made my first touch
« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2005, 03:01 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
i did alittle research over at aa and carbon fibre dry cleaning brushes were well thought of.

Rosconey, they will clean the dust off AFTER the LP's have been cleaned.

You will need something wet to clean off the crap found on many used albums.

I suggest the Disc Doctor brushes and solution, and rinse them with the Spin Clean product.  All in about $100.  

Spin Clean can be found here: http://www.garage-a-records.com/index.php

Disc Doctor can be found here:  http://www.discdoc.com/

You should be able to find a record store in your (college) town who has a few thousand new and used LP's for sale.  That would be the place I would buy from.

rosconey

just made my first touch
« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2005, 01:44 pm »
hi ho hi ho its off to the sink i go-to wash some vinyl who's condition i dont know-hi ho hi ho

soap and water with a soft towl does wonders :mrgreen:

Tonto Yoder

just made my first touch
« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2005, 01:54 pm »
What about a vinyl Welcome Wagon on AC???

On second thought, it wouldn't work.

rosconey

just made my first touch
« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2005, 02:01 pm »
my buddy dropped off a few good ones in the coolection he gave me-
some not so good like mike jackson pre perv days(i think) dianna ross and a few k-tell lp's

also tom petty :mrgreen:- foghat-elton john-zep-cars-george carlin :mrgreen:- beach boys-ac/dc